• Days Won

Beeblebrox last won the day on November 24 2023

Beeblebrox had the most liked content!

5 Followers

Profile Information

• Interests
    Atari 8 Bit, VR gaming, Cycling, Woodworking

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Beeblebrox's Achievements

River Patroller

River Patroller (8/9)

1. 5v 2amps would be fine, so as long as you're console5 psu gives a clean power supply.
  2. The cart based mediums with SDcards is generally my preference, (mine being Side3), and many others also AVG and SubAVG. The Sdcard (even the small capacity ones) are cheap, give vast amounts of space and can be easily popped into laptops to save new games to. They have intuitive loaders, plus SpartaDos-X if needed. Main advantage of these carts is speed of loading and accessing. TBH I only really use my SIO2PCUSB with ResepQt windows software to flash firmwares. (Totally appreciate some of the benefits others have mentioned of using SIO2PCUSB). Cart PBI speeds are just so much faster than SIO, and mounting car images means some massive games load instantly. SIO2PC-USB: RespeQt software:https://forums.atariage.com/forum/184-respeqt-sio2pc-software/
  3. Thanks for the question. I use the same av composite cable for my other stock xe's and they are more or less fine. Nowhere near as bad as this XE. These lines are coming from this machine. I know XE video out quality isn't the best already, but this is really bad.
  4. Managed to take some pics, follow my earlier post. Damn. These are bad. Again on composite. BTW this was with a brick Atari psu. Makes no difference if on this or usb power. So it's likely a ground issue and/or ram noise presumably? Not sure what I can do but I need to have an acceptable picture on composite.
  5. Yup, funnily enough I fixed an XE the other week which had jittery colour. Sprayed the colour pot a few times with contact cleaner. Moved it about a bit and all was well. Not saying this is the answer, but always worth doing in these instances.
  6. Remember the rc settings have a major bearing. So yuv is faster than cie, dithering slows it down. I tend to just use yuv settings.
  7. Thanks. Yes, I agree that svideo is my default and the best, (it's shat I run my a8s off), but this machine is going to another owner who'll be using av composite as svideo isn't an option, so I wanted to make sure the av composite signal was optimised and these bars reduced as much as possible.
  8. Just tacking on the end of this excellent thread. Have an XE (130xe) which has been upgraded to 320k using this method, which I've used many times in the past: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732 Also have a ugv in there hooked up to the din5 jack 4050 removed and luma, chroma and cvbs ferrites lifted. I am still getting wide jail bar interference on my lg flatron lcd. Almost identical to this image I grabbed off the net, but mine is more noticeable: Incidentally the 3 x ground wires the ugv has I have tried grounding in different places.. Makes no difference. This machine also has the following Simple XE tweaks: Even before I did the S. V. XE tweaks, or added in the ugv and ram upgrade, it had very bad wide jail bars. Adding back the 4050 makes no difference. Also, adding back the XE sheilding plates makes no difference. I am given to understand these jailbars can be attributed to ram noise(?) and or power supply related, and to a greater extent in some a8s, especially the XE line, grounding has a big part in it. (The XE line doesn't have great grounding planes afaik). I was hoping that, in bypassing the luma/chroma/cvbs circuit, and taking the video from the ugv, it would help eleminate or reduce these considerably. FYI I am running off composite and a USB 5v 2amp power source. I use the same for my 600xl.amd 800xl with very good pictures. I will try powering this XE with a brick mains Atari psu to see if it makes a difference.
  9. I mentiond this on this thread a year or so ago, but I got this dram chip tester and it's been very useful in the past. Here the DRAM ALWAYS goes in the right hand socket - (if it goes in the left it'll get fried!!!😞 Dynamic RAM (DRAM) Tester 4027/4096/4116/4516/4816/4532/3732/4164/4128/41256/etc https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124726020732
  10. Thanks Sheddy. I may have missed it but what does the patched version fix?
  11. Given the 400 (like the 800) has a plug in cpu board with the Antic, cpu and gtia in sockets, (which will have been sitting there for decades), you could pull the board and check Antic it's seated properly and not suffering from oxidisation. It could be the chip hasn't got a 100% clean contact with it's socket as 40+years old. Worth checking and then if it is actually failing then at least it's socketed easy to replace. (Although antic pal isn't easy to source in the UK.)
  12. Zaphod Beeblebrox is a two headed alien and galactic president in Douglas Adam's masterpiece Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy. It's one of the most fantastic series of books. Pure genius. My avatar image is Marvin the depressed robot from the 1980 British TV adaptation of the books. "Brain the size of a planet but does anyone listen to me... No... of course they don't..."
  13. Regards the colour pot.. That's normal. The colour pot shifts between b/w and the color.