MenuMaker 0.2 source found
This is a followup to the MenuMaker 0.2 blog entry from 2014.
@eyelyft approached me in 2019 about recompiling MenuMaker as it was a 32-bit program and MacOS is now 64-bit only. I'd done a clean install of my Mac since then, so downloaded the source from blog post but discovered it was missing files. I wasn't able to find the missing files so thought I'd lost part of the source during the clean install.
Last week during a @ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch discussion turned to Vectrex and MenuMaker. @Nathan Strum made a comment about getting the original source from @Richard H. again.
Yesterday I was thinking about that so on a whim searched my email and found this:
The original AtariAge message is long gone, but the email did have the source that Richard had sent me all those years ago. On another whim I did a Spotlight search using some variable names from the source and found what appears to be the complete source for this project (I won't know for sure until I can attempt to rebuild it - bummer, turned out not to be as seen in the followup comments below).
Now I need to figure out how to get the current version of Lazarus to work so I can rebuild MenuMaker as a 64-bit program. After upgrading Lazarus it complained that it couldn't find Make or Debugger, which means it's not able to build any programs.
So I uninstalled Lazarus, then reinstalled it using brew which I had installed over the summer so I could install ImageMagick to do some SVG experiments* for work. With the brew installation Lazarus is able to find both Make and Debugger:
however it can't find FPC sources:
Have plans with my folks today, so this is where I'm leaving off for now.
To be continued...
* which failed, ImageMagick's support for SVGs was really bad. I ended up using the .Net WebBrowser control to render the SVGs, which worked but results in the loss of the SVG's alpha channel that I needed. I figured out how to recreate it by rendering each SVG twice, once on a black background and once on a white - diffing the pixels allowed me to recreate the alpha channel.