About This Club

A place for ongoing discussion, support, tricks and tips for building, using and playing with Mytek’s amazing 1088XEL and 1088XLD re-imagined Atari 8-bit computers!
  1. What's new in this club
  2. starting a build on another. For a friend of mine. 1088xel here we go again!! James
  3. I’ve had to resort to eBay and some other questionable sources for the last few parts of my build ( prices not great but better than 20-35 week lead times ). However, I can’t find any source for the CVSB & S-Video Out Jack / Stacked R/A MDIN-4 & RCA connectors. Arihav Electronics is only taking phone orders and before I attempt that, does anyone know an alternate source? ( I’ve held off building a number of projects for a year or so because of the crazy covid parts shortages — but finally have gotten back ordered parts so finally building them….)
  4. Not much traffic here. I'm pretty sure Mytek will eventually create an output board, but now I'm thinking of maybe making a custom one with ribbon in/hdmi out. I'm most likely to use hdmi, and this would get rid of any dvi-hdmi adapters.
  5. Anyone working on an output board for the sophia 2 like the GBS one? The one that comes with sophia is a bit too long. I've decided to remove my vbxe/gbs combo and install sophia2. Right now I just have the ribbon hanging out the back. Will probably eventually install the vbxe in my XEL. It seemed to work better in that machine anyway for some reason.
  6. Thanks, this made things easy. Now has anyone used the rgb2vga board inside an xld with vbxe? I'm finding the physical fit is off. I think it will all fit, but I had to lift the board 10mm, which means it won't plug directly into the xld board. Not a big deal, I'm going to run a power cable instead and then I'm not planning on running the output back through the monitor port. Just using the dedicated vga connector instead.
  7. OK - hopefully this can help someone with as many questions as I had. Please keep in mind there may be some pin differences between my beta board and the released version. Reference the schematic for the pins to use on the XLD. VBXE Headers J3: Pin 1 = IRQ -> J6 Pin 3 (IRQ) Pin 2 = EXTSEL -> J6 Pin 4 (EXT) Pin 3 = GND -> J6 Pin 7 (GND) Pin 4 = CASINH -> J6 Pin 5 (CI) J6: Pin 1 = CLK (3.5MHz). J6 Pin 2 Pin 2 = N/C Pin 3 = N/C Pin 4 = GND -> J6 Pin 7 (GND) J1: Pin 8 = D6xx. -> J6 Pin 6 (VB) - This allows the U1MB to control it, on/off and $D640/$D740 J4: (Video output) Pin 2 = Ctrl -> RGB Header Pin 1 (2 connects to DIN-13) Pin 3 = G -> RGB Header Pin 8 (7 connects to DIN-13) Pin 4 = R -> RGB Header Pin 6 (5 connects to DIN-13) Pin 5 = B -> RGB Header Pin 10 (9 connects to DIN-13) Note - the pins are marked on silkscreen, use what is called out. I am using Sony PVMs with this machine (14 and 20), so RGB with C_Synch on Green. Video cable is using a @MacRorie BoB. I am using a 9-pin male to triple RCA cable, and female RCA to male BNC adapters for the video connection to the PVM.
  8. In an XLD? Since day 1. It is really easy. Even easier than in an XEL. There are pictures up for an XEL here somewhere.
  9. Title says it all - planning on starting my install this evening. Wondering if there's any pics of one installed.
  10. I remember seeing some tests before I put in the Atari ICs, can you elaborate, so I don't have to crawl the entire thread?
  11. It's just a VBXE, MIDI-XEL and a XEL-CFIII. My U1MB is a v1 so it's a black PCB not a Lotharek white one.
  12. Wow I dont even recognize most of what is on that. I just want to get my basic XEL to boot! Looks fantastic though. I have built all that I can for now.. waiting to get a pic programmer and then we will see about booting this thing up!! James
  13. I think this particular app and track came from the TOSEC archive or someplace like that. Most of the .MID files I have, along with the MIDIPL13 player program, I got from Michael’s website. FYI once you track down a MIDI player, there are a ton of tracks available at midiworld.net (I think that’s the URL).
  14. Where did you get the MIDI sequencer and files for playing? I finally got my XLD up and running, looking for some new stuff to try with it.
  15. Yeah, realistically a Sophia DVI makes more sense than a VBXE. But that real 80-column mode is pretty cool. Anyway, your XEL looks great. The wiring is excellent and the internal MIDI board looks fantastic. Well-done, sir!
  16. There is ~0 NTSC software for the VBXE. That doesn't mean none, There's Last Word for example, but there is almost none for PAL so it's _really_ slim pickings for NTSC. The quality of the display is amazing though, and I'd have got it just for the VBXE version of Rick Dangerous when it comes out. I run mine out to a GBS8220 and into a Dell monitor, looks lovely. Now I want to hide the 8220 inside the case. I also need room for a Drakaris (or whatever its name is this week) and other fun stuff
  17. Very nice! I see you have a VBXE in there - I've been considering one for my XLD, but ... I don't know how much NTSC-compatible software there is for it, and I have no PAL-compatible displays. I do have a GBS8220 VGA converter board that can accept an RGB signal but I haven't looked into the details with much specificity.
  18. I've completed all the soldering and stuff but I'm still not finished so I will carry on with my build progress here. I've uncased my XEL so I can make some changes.
  19. I sure could use a better translation of the following into English to update the posts on my MIDI page. MIDI Pattern Editor Original text file: MIDI Pattern Editor 2.3.txt My feeble attempt: Midi_Pattern_Editor_manual.odt MIDI Recorder Original text file: MIDIREC.TXT My feeble attempt: Midi_Recorder_manual.odt Thanks for any assistance on translating these documents . It would be good to get this MIDI stuff better sorted out, since it's now an integral part of the XLD, and very easy to add to the XEL.
  20. Welcome to the newest club members @spookt and @Awch! Please feel free to post pics of you builds (completed or still in-progress), ask any questions or note any issues you run into. Those of us who’ve been using these machines for awhile will be happy to try to help.
  21. It was a Thursday night, as I recall, and I was *very* happy I figured it out!
  22. That black box there is my XEL. I ordered 2 boards but only built one. I'm doing things in tinkercad that require me to have an accurate model of the board populated. I bet you drunk the night you found that diode! LOL
  23. Excellent! Have you built an XEL before? Or are you building some for someone else right now? Or - based on your computer image - are you designing something cool for it?