IGNORED

Gamasutra's article on the 2600

ComputerSpaceFan

I think gamasutra's readership might have enjoyed a more technical article about how the 2600 is programmed. But as an historical article it's very good and covered a nice variety of material.

The graphics specs at the bottom don't really belong - the 2600 doesn't have a specific "number of onscreen colors" nor a precisely defined resolution. Those are some boilerplate specs based on modern notions of framebuffer graphics, but the 2600 doesn't work that way.

Just finished reading the article. Pretty enjoyable, and entertaining, and informative. :) There were a lot of different 2600 controllers but I didn't know there were that many! I particularly enjoyed the, although short, part where they got a little technical in explaining the 2600 hardware.

2600_4switch.jpgGamasutra has posted a new book excerpt, this time on the Atari 2600 Video Computer System (VCS), as part of their "A History of Gaming Platforms" series. From the article:

Although not the first video game console and astonishingly primitive by today's standards, the Atari 2600 Video Computer System (VCS) became a fundamental part of Eighties culture and remains one of the most revered 8-bit gaming platforms ever designed. However, the explosive growth triggered by the 2600 led to The Great Videogame Crash of 1984, which toppled the industry and threatened the future of electronic gaming in America.

You can read the full article written by Bill Loguidice and Matt Barton over at Gamasutra.

I think gamasutra's readership might have enjoyed a more technical article about how the 2600 is programmed. But as an historical article it's very good and covered a nice variety of material.

The graphics specs at the bottom don't really belong - the 2600 doesn't have a specific "number of onscreen colors" nor a precisely defined resolution. Those are some boilerplate specs based on modern notions of framebuffer graphics, but the 2600 doesn't work that way.

It really is tough when these articles are taken out of the context of the book. The book is not intended for a technical audience and the "summary" specs included are just "Common System Specifications", which we do for all the systems. Every system has a theoretical maximum, but I always thought it was more practical to indicate what the majority of software utilized or many titles used. Regardless, the book has 40 other systems just like the Atari 2600 entry, so if you enjoyed that format you should enjoy it for all the other systems as well.

As for Gamasutra's readership enjoying an article about the how the 2600 is programmed, they most definitely would, but I certainly wouldn't be the writer to tackle that at this point!

Edited by Bill_Loguidice