IGNORED

Stella 2.5 released

stephena

This is a somewhat major update, which includes quite a few long-requested fixes. Unfortunately I wasn't able to include some of the stuff I wanted (most notably the TIA graphics fixes), but let's concentrate on what is present :) The other stuff I wanted to add would have delayed the release for too long, so here we go:

* Added RomInfo widget to the ROM launcher, which shows properties
information and a snapshot of the currently selected ROM.  Updated the UI
and added '-romviewer' commandline argument to activate this setting.
Note that the ROM launcher will have to be sized at least 640x480 for this
to be used.  Also note that the snapshots must be in 1x mode with a
maximum size of 320x260.  This will be expanded on in a future release.

* Added ROM audit functionality, whereby ROMs can be physically renamed
according to their properties' name.

* Added bankswitching support for 0840, SB, X07 and 4A50.  A special thanks
to Eckhard Stolberg for much help in this area.

* Removed "non-browse" functionality from the ROM launcher; it now always
uses browse/filesystem mode.  The previous 'pretty' names can now be
seen by renaming all your ROMs with the new ROM audit feature.

* Huge overhaul of controller handling and Stelladaptor support, making it
much easier to add new controller types in a future release.

* Fixed paddle issues in Night Driver; paddle emulation speed should be
much better.

* Fixed several 6507 emulation bugs related to BCD handling.

* Updated ROM properties based on info from RomHunter.

* ROM properties can now be edited from the ROM launcher; you no longer
have to start a ROM to do so.

* Added support for configurable font to ROM launcher (currently only
'small' and 'large').  Updated the UI and added -launcherfont' commandline
argument to change this setting.

* Added SECAM, NTSC50, PAL60 and SECAM60 to the list of formats that can
be used.  Also, switching between these modes with 'Ctrl-f' now switches
the palette only; the number of scanlines won't change.

* Fixed crash when switching between software and OpenGL mode with a
Stelladaptor plugged in.

* Added '-tiafloat' commandline argument, which determines whether or not
the TIA pins are in a 'floating' state.  This is useful for testing on
certain CMOS EPROM chips where the unused TIA pins on a read are not
floating but pulled high.

* Fixed issue in debugger where once a .sym file was loaded, it was used
in all ROMs loaded after that.

* Fixed issue in debugger where equate names weren't showing up in the RAM
and CPU widgets.  Note that this still isn't perfect, and needs support
from DASM for proper functionality.

* Updated state file format, creating smaller files (and in preparation
for state rewinding in a future release).  Old state saves will no longer
work.

* Added '-bs' commandline argument, which is an alias for '-type' (which
is still present).

* Removed -pXspeed' commandline arguments, and replaced them with a
single '-pspeed'.

* Removed '-paddle' commandline argument.  The paddle currently emulated
by the mouse can still be changed with Ctrl-0..3 or within the UI, but
the setting is no longer saved.

* Reworked UI for specifying that the console ports have been swapped,
hopefully making it easier to understand.

* Added 'Ctrl-c' & 'Ctrl-v' to EditTextWidgets, allowing to copy and paste
the text widget contents.  More work in this area is coming in a future
release.

* Added 'Ctrl-leftarrow' and 'Ctrl-rightarrow' to EditTextWidgets, to move
to the first character of previous and next words (respectively).

* For the Win32 port: fixed OpenGL crashes in Vista.  Graphical updates
are still slower in Vista compared to XP, though.

* For the Win32 port: default folder for Stella config files is now
'My Documents\Stella'; this can be disabled if necessary.  This should
fix issues with losing settings when launching Stella from an IDE,
and the creation of stella.ini and 'state' directories in many
different places.

* For the Win32 port: several fixes to the Visual Studio project files,
allowing building in debug or release mode, for both i386 and x86_64.
The project files have been upgraded to Visual Studio 2008, and Stella
can now be built and distributed without the VS runtime libraries.

* Updated configure script for cross-compiling Win32 version in Linux.

As always, report any bugs here in this thread, or directly to me.

Stella Homepage

Problem #1 (fixed)

I see that Stella no longer saves data to the folder where a .bin file has been double-clicked on:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1480257

The solution is to use an absolute pathname for the ini file (something like C:\users\application data\stella\stella.ini). I'll fix this for the next release.

Great news! Thanks.

JUst an FYI that this issue is now fixed, and will be included in the next release of Stella. The new default folder for all Stella related items for the Win32 port is 'My Documents\Stella'. Note that the folder location will differ based on what version of Windows being used, but it will always be accessible from your Windows Explorer 'Documents' link. Also note that this fixes another long-standing bug wrt administrator access; you'll no longer need to be an administrator to save your settings (since they're no longer saved in the application folder).

The problem is that it's still not remembering the controller button that I mapped. It reverts to button 1. Based on what you said above, I thought I would try something that worked for another program. I right clicked on Stella.exe, selected Properties, selected the Compatibility tab and check marked Run this program as an administrator. It worked! Now when I double-click on a ROM file, the correct button is used.

Problem #2

I adjusted the UI Settings to a larger font so the ROM list is readable, but how do I make the Options larger? Here's what it looks like on my computer:

post-13-1206740912_thumb.png

It was normal size in previous versions, but now it's tiny.

Thanks.

Problem #1 (fixed)

The problem is that it's still not remembering the controller button that I mapped. It reverts to button 1. Based on what you said above, I thought I would try something that worked for another program. I right clicked on Stella.exe, selected Properties, selected the Compatibility tab and check marked Run this program as an administrator. It worked! Now when I double-click on a ROM file, the correct button is used.

OK, so that means the problem still isn't fixed :( All the config-related files should now be in your 'My Documents\Stella' folder. That's why you don't see 'state' directories appearing everywhere; they now go to the 'My Documents\Stella' folder only. Similarly, the stella.ini file where your mappings are saved should be placed in the same folder.

Could you try the following experiment: delete 'My Documents\Stella\stella.ini' (this will reset your settings). Start Stella normally, let it create a new stella.ini, then exit. Copy this stella.ini file somewhere. Next, start Stella again and remap your joystick, save the settings, and exit. Now, the stella.ini file you just created and the one you backed up should be different (since you just modified your mappings). If the file didn't change, it means the settings aren't being saved to the correct place, and aren't being reloaded correctly the next time.

Problem #2

I adjusted the UI Settings to a larger font so the ROM list is readable, but how do I make the Options larger? Here's what it looks like on my computer:

Actually, it was always that size; you just had the UI zoom at 2x in previous releases. Unfortunately, that won't be fixed until I rework the UI code. Basically, the problem is that all in-game UI's need to fit in the minimum size of the TIA window (ie, around 320x210). In the next release, the various dialog boxes won't be tied to the size of the TIA window, and will be larger when possible.

OK, so that means the problem still isn't fixed :( All the config-related files should now be in your 'My Documents\Stella' folder. That's why you don't see 'state' directories appearing everywhere; they now go to the 'My Documents\Stella' folder only. Similarly, the stella.ini file where your mappings are saved should be placed in the same folder.

Could you try the following experiment: delete 'My Documents\Stella\stella.ini' (this will reset your settings). Start Stella normally, let it create a new stella.ini, then exit. Copy this stella.ini file somewhere. Next, start Stella again and remap your joystick, save the settings, and exit. Now, the stella.ini file you just created and the one you backed up should be different (since you just modified your mappings). If the file didn't change, it means the settings aren't being saved to the correct place, and aren't being reloaded correctly the next time.

I unchecked Run this program as an administrator and did what you said. The files are different and double-clicking on a .bin file now causes the correct button to work. I guess the solution was to delete the old stella.ini.

I unchecked Run this program as an administrator and did what you said. The files are different and double-clicking on a .bin file now causes the correct button to work. I guess the solution was to delete the old stella.ini.

Not necessarily. It could be using the old file generated when you were in administrator mode. If you don't mind, try this experiment next:

1) Make sure administrator mode is off.

2) Start Stella by double-clicking a .bin file.

3) Change the mapping for fire button to something other than button 1 (the default) and also something other than what you normally use.

4) Exit Stella, saving the settings.

5) Double-click the .bin again. Confirm that Stella is using the new mapping done in (4).

If this works, then we know the problem is solved.

1) Make sure administrator mode is off.

2) Start Stella by double-clicking a .bin file.

3) Change the mapping for fire button to something other than button 1 (the default) and also something other than what you normally use.

4) Exit Stella, saving the settings.

5) Double-click the .bin again. Confirm that Stella is using the new mapping done in (4).

If this works, then we know the problem is solved.

It worked with no problems.

Thanks.

* Added bankswitching support for 0840, SB, X07 and 4A50.  A special thanks
to Eckhard Stolberg for much help in this area.

Way cool! :cool: Thanks! :thumbsup:

Michael

Related to this, I just fixed the debugger issue with 4A50; you can now enter the debugger and freely view/change state, then return to the game again. Incidentally, this was a long-standing bug that affected E0 ROMs as well. I'll probably do a 2.5.1 release in a little while, after I see if there are any huge bugs that slipped through.

Problem #2

I've already started fixing this issue, and it's at the top of the list for UI-related stuff for the next release (which I promise won't take as long as this one did).

Just a couple small issues.

No 1. In Windows XP there is no icon but the icon is shown on the taskbar.

Stella_Icon.bmp

No 2. When I start a game from stella I can press escape to exit but if I start a game from windows explorer I have to click the close button. It's a little inconvenient because I usually have the mouse locked to the window (ctrl-g) so that it won't escape while playing paddle games like breakout & kaboom!

'My Documents\Stella'; this can be disabled if necessary.

How? I prefer stella.ini and all associated config/setup files and folders to be in the same directory as the executable. Using the GUI and/or viewing the stella.ini file, it was easy to change all paths except where the stella.ini file itself is stored/located. How do you change the location of stella.ini as it was in previous versions of Stella to be stored in the same folder as the executable?

Thanks in advance.

-Trebor

No 1. In Windows XP there is no icon but the icon is shown on the taskbar.

Yes, I've noticed this before, but can't seem to track down what's causing it. Sometimes it happens on my system, sometimes not. I'll look into it, but as it stands it's only a cosmetic thing.

No 2. When I start a game from stella I can press escape to exit but if I start a game from windows explorer I have to click the close button. It's a little inconvenient because I usually have the mouse locked to the window (ctrl-g) so that it won't escape while playing paddle games like breakout & kaboom!

This is by design, with the reasoning that if you start from the launcher, exiting a ROM will bring you back there, and if you didn't start from the launcher, you don't want to go back to it. It would be easy enough to add an option to toggle this in a future release. This isn't a regression for this release though; it was always that way.

'My Documents\Stella'; this can be disabled if necessary.

How? I prefer stella.ini and all associated config/setup files and folders to be in the same directory as the executable. Using the GUI and/or viewing the stella.ini file, it was easy to change all paths except where the stella.ini file itself is stored/located. How do you change the location of stella.ini as it was in previous versions of Stella to be stored in the same folder as the executable?

Thanks in advance.

-Trebor

From the documentation, create a file named 'disable_profiles.txt' in the Stella application directory. This will revert to previous functionality (along with all the problems it causes for a non-admin user, of course). Please test this and let me know if it works for you.

Note that the file can be empty (ie, you don't have to start Notepad and add stuff to it). Just do a 'New Document -> Text' (or whatever it's called) from Windows Explorer.

From the documentation, create a file named 'disable_profiles.txt' in the Stella application directory. This will revert to previous functionality (along with all the problems it causes for a non-admin user, of course). Please test this and let me know if it works for you.

Note that the file can be empty (ie, you don't have to start Notepad and add stuff to it). Just do a 'New Document -> Text' (or whatever it's called) from Windows Explorer.

It works perfectly. In fact, Stella copied the settings from stella.ini that is located under My Documents/Stella and placed it inside the same folder as the executable. I then deleted the Stella folder that was created under My Documents/Stella, launched Stella once more and all is well. It is reading stella.ini from the executable folder.

Thanks Again,

Trebor

P.S. Sorry for not reading the documentation. That was pretty silly of me to forget.

Does anyone have a collection of screenshots that can be used with this latest version of Stella? When I tried to take a screen shot I got an error. But if anyone knows were I could get them I'd really appreciate it. Oh yea, thanks for the update, this is a great emulator :cool:

Does anyone have a collection of screenshots that can be used with this latest version of Stella? When I tried to take a screen shot I got an error.

Well, that shouldn't have happened. What type of error did you get? Interested in following up with a bug report??

But if anyone knows were I could get them I'd really appreciate it. Oh yea, thanks for the update, this is a great emulator :cool:

The main download page for Stella contains a link with snapshots for all the valid (ie, non-hack) ROMs I could find. It contains almost 3000 snapshots.

Does anyone have a collection of screenshots that can be used with this latest version of Stella? When I tried to take a screen shot I got an error.

Well, that shouldn't have happened. What type of error did you get? Interested in following up with a bug report??

But if anyone knows were I could get them I'd really appreciate it. Oh yea, thanks for the update, this is a great emulator :cool:

The main download page for Stella contains a link with snapshots for all the valid (ie, non-hack) ROMs I could find. It contains almost 3000 snapshots.

Thanks for the info. The download was right there but I didn't see it. I'd be happy to give you a bug report but I really don't know what info you're looking for. Basically I hit F12 while in a game (Yar's Revenge is the game) and I got that Microsoft error window popping up that says Stellahas encountered a problem and needs to close. I'm running Windows XP Home Service pack 2.

Well, that shouldn't have happened. What type of error did you get?

I can tell you what I get when I press F12. This message pops up near the bottom of the game:

Couldn't open snapshot file

That happens even though I set up the path and it doesn't matter what size zoom is set to. I also don't understand why it's trying to open a file. I thought I was trying to save a file?

I downloaded the Snapshot files near the bottom of this page and they work great:

http://stella.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

It's nice to have an instant reminder of what each game looks like.

Thanks for the info. The download was right there but I didn't see it. I'd be happy to give you a bug report but I really don't know what info you're looking for. Basically I hit F12 while in a game (Yar's Revenge is the game) and I got that Microsoft error window popping up that says Stellahas encountered a problem and needs to close. I'm running Windows XP Home Service pack 2.

That's basically what I'm looking for; a description of what happened. I've never seen this error before. Try looking at your snapshot path and make sure it exists and you have write access to it (although it still shouldn't have caused a crash in any event).

Well, that shouldn't have happened. What type of error did you get?

I can tell you what I get when I press F12. This message pops up near the bottom of the game:

Couldn't open snapshot file

That happens even though I set up the path and it doesn't matter what size zoom is set to. I also don't understand why it's trying to open a file. I thought I was trying to save a file?

What?! That makes no sense at all?? It's getting late here, but I'll look into this first thing tomorrow. And it looks quite likely that I'll be doing a 2.5.1 release soon.