IGNORED

Sirius, Plutos and Rampart Prototypes Released! For Real!

Curt Vendel

Okay, I know all day everyone has been grinding their teeth over the April Fools gag about Plutos, Sirius and Rampart...

Well the REAL April Fools joke is, it ISN'T a Joke. The games are in fact REAL and 2 of the 3 are completely playable.

The all play best it seems either on a real cartridge or in Prosystem. Mess works okay, but Prosystem seems to work better. Especially for Rampart which is only about 40-50% complete and really isn't very playable.

Plutos and Sirius are completely playable and are a LOT of fun.... these are games that should've come out.

I can only take the credit of finding the obj and hex codes, rounding up some really talented guys and all of us working together along with Albert and Tempest for have things ready for the big April Fools release. Albert and Matt have both put together some great webpages which will be posted shortly and proper credit will be given where due to the real hero's of this April Fools gag.

Enjoy!!!

Curt

[Edit--sorry, the download counts have been reset twice as I've replaced these files twice -- Al]

Sirius.zip

Rampart.zip

Plutos.zip

7800protos.pngThanks to a discovery by Curt Vendel of AtariMuseum.com and the hard work of 7800 enthusiasts Robert DeCrescenzo, Mitchell Orman, and Eckhard Stolberg, three long-lost Atari 7800 prototypes have been released today! These games are Sirius, Plutos, and Rampart. Plutos and Sirius are shooters both developed by Tynesoft--Plutos is a vertically oriented shooter and Sirius a horizontally oriented shooter. Both of these games appear to be just about complete, with the only obvious omission being an ending when you complete the games. Rampart is a port of the popular Atari arcade game of the same name. Unfortunately Rampart is an early work in progress, but still interesting nonetheless.

It's a shame that these three games were never released as they would have made great additions to the 7800 library. This is especially true of Plutos and Sirius, which were obviously close to completion! You can read detailed reviews of each of these games over at Matt Reichert's AtariProtos.com:

You can download the binaries for these games by following these links: Sirius, Plutos, and Rampart (they are attached in Curt's above post as well).

Very Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting!

I noticed they both had a High Score section at the end. Do you know if there were any plans for it to work with the High Score Cartridge?

I doubt it. Both of these games were programmed long after the high score cart was canceled.

Mitch

Holy awesomeness! :lust: Thanks for the work everyone, this is great! :D

And to answer the inevitable next questions:

PLUTOS 78SC_R16 78BIOS

SIRIUS 78SC_R16 78QUICK

:)

You don't need 78QUICK if you get Sirius from the 7800 Rom list page. It's has a later version that has been signed.

The problem is that these games (Plutos and Sirius at least) require 128K *and* 16K RAM. There are no eprom boards that support this. Most of the 'convertible' games (Jinks, etc.) only have 8K on board.

Rampart 'only' requires 128K, but I'd be willing to bet that the more 'complete' version (if there is one) will also require 16K RAM on board.

Edited by PacManPlus

The problem is that these games (Plutos and Sirius at least) require 128K *and* 16K RAM. There are no eprom boards that support this. Most of the 'convertible' games (Jinks, etc.) only have 8K on board.

Rampart 'only' requires 128K, but I'd be willing to bet that the more 'complete' version (if there is one) will also require 16K RAM on board.

Are these playable on a cuttle cart 2?

Are these playable on a cuttle cart 2?

Yes they are.

Tempest