IGNORED

AtariProtos 8-Bit Update

Tempest

...I've also been updating my Atari 8-bit section with new reviews.

Yeah, 8-bit Tutankham is pretty ugly with those odd color schemes. Really looks like you're in a tomb...like someone turned the light off. What a disappointment. I'll stick with the CV version.

It's doubtful that PB planned on releasing the McDonald's game as Pac-Mac, but who knows really. There's no way they would have been able to get away with that.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

No, no, you have to stop reviewing the 8-bit computer games and get back to reviewing 7800 games. :P

Just kidding, great write-ups as usual. :)

Mitch

Yeah yeah... I've got a few 7800 prototypes to get to. But I'm taking a break for now, I'm sort of burnt out.

Just added Football. For some reason my prototype will not dump properly. It's basically the same as the final anyway, just a different copyright date (or some internal code changes which don't affect the gameplay).

Tempest

I haven't peeped at the w/s but i'm guessing/assuming that the 'saucer' game is from Atari...and going by the emulator version that i've got it will only work on an 800 with os/a or an unupgraded 400 (again only with os/a)

Also...didn't parker brother release 2 versions of the game tutankhamun (one of them had the spelling mistake)

I haven't peeped at the w/s but i'm guessing/assuming that the 'saucer' game is from Atari...and going by the emulator version that i've got it will only work on an 800 with os/a or an unupgraded 400 (again only with os/a)

Yes that is correct. Although I believe that is is OS/B it works with, not A (I used B anyway)

Also...didn't parker brother release 2 versions of the game tutankhamun (one of them had the spelling mistake)

Yes and no. Technically they didn't release any versions of the game (unless someone has evidence of a disk release somewhere). There are two versions, but the one spelled Tutankham is the correct one, the other is the typo. I think the Tutankhamun version is actually an earlier WIP version since it has infinite lives, less features, and a whole bunch of bugs.

Tempest

Can't remember who did it but it was either datamost or datasoft, who did a very similar game to 'tutankhamun' called 'lost tomb'...Some pirate also did a hack of 'tutankhamun' and called it 'pharoahs revenge'

In regards to Saucer, i must have an earlier version or at the least, a different one

Also...Up and Down...I'm guessing your'e referring to a cartridge version...As i used to own a tape version

Lastly tempest...what about the WIP proto of 'Rick Dangerous' for the A8 that Rybags mentioned in a previous post...or are you already on the case

I've heard and seen a game call Puc-Muc...but not Pac Mac

Edited by carmel_andrews

Can't remember who did it but it was either datamost or datasoft, who did a very similar game to 'tutankhamun' called 'lost tomb'...Some pirate also did a hack of 'tutankhamun' and called it 'pharoahs revenge'

In regards to Saucer, i must have an earlier version or at the least, a different one

Also...Up and Down...I'm guessing your'e referring to a cartridge version...As i used to own a tape version

Lastly tempest...what about the WIP proto of 'Rick Dangerous' for the A8 that Rybags mentioned in a previous post...or are you already on the case

I've heard and seen a game call Puc-Muc...but not Pac Mac

Can you post your version of Saucer here? Maybe there's another version of it.

Yes Up n Down was released on tape and disk as well as cartridge. They all blow though... :)

I thought the whole Rick Dangerous thing was a homebrew, not a real proto?

There are lots of prototypes I haven't gotten to yet. I'm concentrating on the cartridge protos first, then the disk and tape ones. There are just too many otherwise.

Tempest

Can't remember who did it but it was either datamost or datasoft, who did a very similar game to 'tutankhamun' called 'lost tomb'...

Lost Tomb was another Stern coin-op which (not surprisingly) plays like a cross between Berzerk/Frenzy and Tutankham. Datasoft released it in disk for the A8 and C64.

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=3047

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1547

Check out reviews for:

Tutankham

http://www.atariprotos.com/

Quite interesting. The version I used to know and played in my boyhood looked a little bit different, and didn't suffer from ugly colours.

After I wasn't able to find this version at the usual places, I reactivated my 1050 and dug out the disk.

Still worked after all these years... :)

CU

Irgendwer

post-7778-1209725034_thumb.png

Tutankham.xex.zip

Edited by Irgendwer

Well I'll be damned. Your version seems to be identical to the one I have except the background is always black and the colors don't seem to change like they do in my version. Interesting.

Now comes the question: Is your version a later version, or is it just a hack of the prototype I have? Are my versions the hacks?

Tempest

Just don't open the cartridge...or the value will drop like a bomb (but you know that anyway)

Someone told me the following games aren't common

Cygnus XI (A8, Tape only)

Sprong, Red Rat (also released as 'Pogotron' by Artronic/Gamesbusters) again, tape only

I used to have both

Now comes the question: Is your version a later version, or is it just a hack of the prototype I have? Are my versions the hacks?

Tempest

Do not know. Just feel that the version I played all the years is quite convincing...

So maybe the colour overload version is the hack?

CU

Irgendwer

Tempest

Do not know. Just feel that the version I played all the years is quite convincing...

So maybe the colour overload version is the hack?

CU

Irgendwer

I would agree with that, but then again there are two versions of the game with the wonky colors and one is definitely a WIP version. Maybe yours is a later version? Then again, why on earth would they have still not fixed the stage counter? I fear we'll never be able to sort this out unless we figure out where these all came from (or the programmer steps forward).

Tempest

I wonder if we'll ever find out why there were odd things like trombones and clocks in the sewer?

Even if it was just to test the level why go to the trouble of making them, why not just use simple coloured blocks instead?

Diamond rings make sense though since they can be lost down the drain, why you'd get points for a clock or smashed glasses though I'll never know, lol.

Edited by Ross PK

Although I've been busy reviewing all those Cabbage Patch Kids protos, I've also been updating my Atari 8-bit section with new reviews. Check out reviews for:

Frogger II

Tutankham

Up n Down

Star Trux

Saucer

Pac-Mac

Letter Tutor

http://www.atariprotos.com/

Tempest

Good stuff. Thanks.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

Tempest, just so you know, I seem to remember that you CAN block kicks / punts in Football (ex: you can blitz on field goal attempts and sometimes not get moved by the offensive line and block the kick).

I totally agree that it's a shame Atari didn't try programming a better football game later for the 8-bits.