IGNORED

-<OVGE 2008>- The Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition Returns!

-^CrossBow^-

For Immediate Release--

OVGE@cox.net

Oklahoma's Only True Retro Video Game Exhibition Returns!

Tulsa, OK – May 5, 2008– Classic video games will once again rise from history as mid-America's one and only OVGE returns to announce the fifth Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition.

On August 9, 2008 video game collectors and enthusiasts from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Texas and even further will come together at the Marriott Tulsa Southern Hills Hotel in Tulsa to celebrate the history of the video gaming industry. “Before OVGE, people from the surrounding states had to travel across the country for events such as this, so it is nice to have something a bit closer.” said Jesse Hardesty, founder of the OVGE. Doors will open to the public at 9:00 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m. Cost of admission for ages eight and above will be $3 dollars at the door.

In 1972, the video game industry launched with the sale of the Odyssey by Magnavox. However, in the early ‘80s an overflow of games and lack luster sales in stores forced many companies to close resulting in drastic drops in prices for their merchandise. Companies still in business could not compete with the low pricing and lost money from their over stocked inventory causing the great crash of the video game industry in 1983. Since the rebirth of the industry in 1985, with the introduction of the Nintendo Entertainment System, video game sales have flourished. According to the NPD annual statistics the video game industry reached nearly 18 billion dollars last year. These numbers will continue to grow in 2008.

Still, many video game players are returning to classic video games. Even with the advanced graphics and sound of today’s video games, why are so many people fascinated with the classics? “Even though modern game systems have amazing graphics and sound, the most important aspect of any video game is that it actually be fun to play. Because classic game systems, like the Atari 2600, had very simple graphics, game designers had to focus on the game-play. Those same games that were fun in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s are still just as much fun today,” stated Albert Yarusso, modern video game programmer and co-founder of AtariAge.com.

“With video gaming being today’s main form of home entertainment, the history behind it should not be forgotten,” said Hardesty. “The Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition is providing the youth and their parents a chance to visit and interact with that past.” Numerous video game systems, computers, and arcade machines, will be set up for the public to play. Vendors and exhibitors will have games, and other memorabilia on display with many items for purchase.

The OVGE is organized by gaming enthusiasts who want to share their hobby and passion for classic and modern video games with the public.

For more information, visit:

http://www.ovge.com

Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition

We're back!

See you all in August!

:cool:

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Two words.

HELL YEAH!

Seriously, Jesse, the shows are one of the highlights of my year, and now, it's back! And just a week after DefCon rises from the ashes as well. Actually, I think I'm now gonna skip DefCon and save money for OVGE 2008 instead!

Man, I hope the Neo Geo guys come back. Can't wait to pwn up on some foo's again!

MMF and I (OMG - we're still ALIVE!) are planning to attend, provided gas prices don't go sky high by then. We've been attending tons of wrestling and MMA type events over the past couple years. I am *SO* looking forward to being a gamer geek for the first time in a LONG time. :)

Jess - when you have room rates for the Marriott, will you let me know? I like to book travel as early as possible!

I'll be on hand, and once again after its successful debut in Oklahoma City in April, the new and improved expanded edition of the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD will be available for a special "show price".

I may have a few other surprises on hand as well. ;)

Edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils

A lot of the guys set up purely for show. I did the first two years I showed off my stuff (though that didn't keep folks from tossing insane dollar amounts at me for some stuff, some of which I accepted). Phosphor Dot Fossils usually sets up a purely exibition table (with the damn coolest Tron stuff you've EVER seen), as does Flack (his first year there was a "pirate" themed table, and he was showing off his collection of ROM dumpers and such).

Finally have the Website completed and updated again. I even have the gallery from the last event in 2006 posted...Whew...

Enjoy and remember we have a larger venue this year and that means more space for all of you to exhibit and be a part of the event!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the same show that was done up there in 2004? If so, I remember going up there with Albert and had a blast. That was the last gaming event I've attended, in fact. I might try making the trek up there this year...

• 3 weeks later...

Show times have changed back to 9 to 5. I was getting some flak on the 7pm thing with some of the vendors/exhibitors who travel from out of state. I can see their point on this and so, show will close down once again at 5pm. In addition, I have moved the show back to the original two rooms we have always occupied in the past. It simply wasn't realistically gonna be possible to fill the extra 2000sf and so, I see no point in paying for it.

We finally have vendors and exhibitors confirmed and they have been added to the site. If you sent me info to be in the show and I don't have you listed on the exhibitor page, then PLEASE get back to me ASAP! The reason would simply be because you're request were lost in my HDD crash 3 weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna be doing a classic computer display on one of my tables. I'll have an Apple IIe with functioning joystick and various software running all day. I'll have a Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 with the original black and white monitor running (no software, though, just the base computer). I'll also be bringing my Panasonic Sr. Partner luggable comp., but I'm gonna have to see if I have any working software for it. Look forward to seeing everyone on Aug. 9th!

Bad news on our end - MMF and I won't be able to make it to Tulsa this year after all. :( We were hoping to come, but gas prices are just TOO high. We're pinching pennies in order to keep food on the table and keep gas in the car to get back & forth to work!

It's disappointing - we were looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some games! Oh well. Hopefully we can make it to another event next year.....

Update. Due to me acquiring a working C-128, I'll be bringing that (and peripherals...can you say MAGIC VOICE?!), along with my other stuff. FINALLY got a Commodore mouse, too. I may also bring along some non-functioning (not necessarily broken, just some stuff may not work 100 percent) commodore 64 stuff for sale, if anyone is interested. It'll only be the systems, though, no cables. I'm not sure about this, though.

OVGE Draws Near!

Yes! We are now under 2 weeks away from OVGE's grand retro return! I would like to invite everyone to please look at the web site as there have been many updates. To summize, we are looking at the best vendor lineup and exhibitor variety we have ever been graced with at this year's event!

http://www.ovge.com

All of us at OVGE and the Ivory Tower Collections are very excited to be able to bring this event to you and invite you all once again to come and join in for a day of video gaming history, sales, exhibition, and most importantly... Family fun!

Tournaments have also been announced but are always subject to change. I'll keep you posted as more changes come in!

Thank you again and we all look forward to seeing you all there on August 9th!

:-D

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Dude, Shadow, you gotta hit my table if you come. We'll finally get to meet.

I am bringing the broken Commodore stuff, too. It will consist of a working 128 with several missing keys, 3 64 units, some work partially, some not at all, and 2 Vic-20 units, one powers up but the screen scrambles, and the other one has no power. I'll also have a Datasette with the cord cut (good for innards or a case), a 1541 disk drive that needs to have the heads realigned, and a non-working C-64 DIN style plug power adaptor. It will be for sale or for trade, and you might be able to cobble together a couple of working systems from what is here. See ya all in a couple of weeks!

I'll be debuting my second book Invading Spaces: A Beginner's Guide to Collecting Arcade Games at this year's show. I'll have several copies on hand and will be autographing them. I'll also have copies of Commodork: Sordid Tales from a BBS Junkie there as well. I haven't completely decided what I will be displaying, but it's a safe bet that I'll have Commodore things by the Commodore book and arcade things by the arcade book. :)

My table was located next to Scott Huggins and his mini-mame cabinet in 2005 and I can attest to its popularity! I heard many people make cash offers for Scott's machine that day! I am excited about seeing Trade-N-Games' display again as well.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again and sorry that MMF/MsMMF can't make it -- hanging out with you guys is always great.