IGNORED

Atari 2600 Pause Kit Now Available!

Albert

I have added the "Atari 2600 Pause Kit" to the store!

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=953

The kit itself is $20 and includes the populated Pause Kit circuit board, wires, toggle switch, heat shrink tubing, and double-sided tape to keep the mod in place so it doesn't rattle around in your 2600.

This is a relatively easy modification for anyone with soldering experience and the tools to do so. However, if you're not comfortable installing the Pause Kit, I can do so for $25 plus shipping both ways. You'll ship the console (or just the board) to me, and when I finish your mod I'll box up your console and figure out the return shipping which you'll then pay before I ship it back.

..Al

• Like 1

This will probably be one of the last non-cartridge circuit boards I'll have designed. Just like the SaveKey, this seems to be turning into a loss for me again. Only 4 have sold so far and at that pace, I probably won't even break even. Win some, lose some, I guess. :(

If anyone has a motherboard that is different than the ones I provided, I'd love to see it btw.!

I want one, I'm just....unemployed, and my unemployment barely covers groceries right now. :|

I'm with you CC... 4 months and going...

I wish you luck on your job hunt!

CPUWIZ:

I don't think a lot of people are aware of the pause board. I'd ask Al to put it on the front page of AtariAge news. I'm sure that would get orders going.

I plan on buying at least 3 of these but I need to find a job since I was laid off back in February. Money is just that tight for me right now.

Sorry CPUWIZ, I think the problem is that the circuit is too simple. Even some of the most amateur hardware hackers would rather try to build their own than buy one.

Really? For $20 I personally wouldn't bother...

I haven't bought one of these even though I'd LOVE one. I just cant attempt to solder anything and international shipping is too prohibitive to have a console sent back and forth

That's kind of what we figured, think about what you make an hour and how long it would take to hand assemble the circuit with stupid Radio Shack parts (after purchasing all parts). ;)

I haven't bought one of these even though I'd LOVE one. I just cant attempt to solder anything and international shipping is too prohibitive to have a console sent back and forth

You could just send the circuit board of the machine you want modded, the rest is just cosmetic. :cool:

Yeah, for $20 you have a ready-to-go kit with everything you need and detailed installation instructions. There will always be people who enjoy hacking their stuff from scratch themselves, and I'm of course not going to fault anyone for wanting to do that. I'd still consider installing a pre-built board into your 2600 "hacking" the console as you need to open the console (including the RF shielding), solder several wires to two different chips in the 2600, and then install a switch somewhere. You're just saving a fair bit of time and effort by buying a nice, professional circuit board to use instead of rolling your own.

..Al

Yeah, for $20 you have a ready-to-go kit with everything you need and detailed installation instructions. There will always be people who enjoy hacking their stuff from scratch themselves, and I'm of course not going to fault anyone for wanting to do that. I'd still consider installing a pre-built board into your 2600 "hacking" the console as you need to open the console (including the RF shielding), solder several wires to two different chips in the 2600, and then install a switch somewhere. You're just saving a fair bit of time and effort by buying a nice, professional circuit board to use instead of rolling your own.

..Al

Al,

I think $20 is a bargain for a complete kit! I'm psyched both yourself and CPUWIZ got together and created these cool boards for us 2600 fans. I can assure you I will purchase a few when I can afford it. I think it's time for me to sell some stuff to pay for these.

-Trem

I think part of the issue is the level of difficulty with installing this kit. You need to cut traces, solder wires to pins spaced 0.1" apart, and desolder a resistor. If you can install this kit, you certainly can solder through-hole parts to a board.

I personally think that providing a populated board was unnecessary as those who don't wish to pay for installation would probably prefer to save some money and get a kit that is completely unassembled. It might sell better as a bare board and a bag full of parts for a little less.

I think part of the issue is the level of difficulty with installing this kit. You need to cut traces, solder wires to pins spaced 0.1" apart, and desolder a resistor. If you can install this kit, you certainly can solder through-hole parts to a board.

I personally think that providing a populated board was unnecessary as those who don't wish to pay for installation would probably prefer to save some money and get a kit that is completely unassembled. It might sell better as a bare board and a bag full of parts for a little less.

Come on now. Installing a PS1 modchip is harder than this kit and everyone, including grandma installed those, there are probably millions of modded PS1's out there. :roll: Besides, you obviously don't need to solder directly onto the chip's legs, you can use the underside of the main board as well, you of all people should know that. :ponder:

Come on now. Installing a PS1 modchip is harder than this kit and everyone, including grandma installed those, there are probably millions of modded PS1's out there. :roll: Besides, you obviously don't need to solder directly onto the chip's legs, you can use the underside of the main board as well, you of all people should know that. :ponder:

I think you misunderstand - this kit would not be difficult for me or for anyone with basic soldering skills, but anyone with sufficient skill to install this kit can also solder the chip, resistors and diodes onto the board, so selling populated boards isn't necessary. I would suggest at least the option to buy an unpopulated board and parts for a little less if you want to sell more.