IGNORED

Atari 2600 Trading Cards Series 1

Marc Oberhäuser

*** Still waiting for Atari feedback *** x 2

*** Still waiting for Atari feedback ***

***Small update: I am in contact with Atari Inc. to get their blessing for the cards, until then I put the project on hold for a few days.

12.02.2015 *** Still waiting...... ***

18.02.2015 *** Small progress, will have a chat with Atari next week ***

Hi everyone,

Welcome to my latest trading card series. After the Atari 7800 and the Intellivision now it’s time for the Atari 2600. The first series with 50 cards features the original Atari releases from 3-D Tic Tac Toe to Gremlins. The front side of a card shows the original release box art, on the back there are facts about the game as well as a screenshot, label front side and the front of the manual.

On the pictures you can see the test prints (yet with some wrong data that has been already corrected) and the cards have really turned out fine.

A set costs EURO 40 (about US$ 50) including shipping airmail letter (robust box/uninsured/no tracking/shipping time 5 to 10 days). For shipping as regular airmail parcel (robust box/insurance/tracking/shipping time 14 to 28 days, up to 5kg) you will have to add another EURO 35 (yep, shipping a parcel to North America is that expensive).

Since I have to pay the printer in advance I have to charge the amount up-front, so if you are interested in a set just drop me a PM with your Paypal address.

Some additional info:

• A set consists of 50 cards plus 1 index card, 2 promo cards and 1 INTV card
  • The next set will be available in February
  • The cards are printed professionally
  • The box size is 13cm x 10cm x 2cm (slip lid box style)
  • The front art of the cards depends on the first release of the game. If a game was first released in a silver box for example, and later also released in a red box, the silver artwork is shown, the red box will be just mentioned on the back of the card
  • It's not a limited run, but after the first run the price will be higher (from EURO 40 to EURO 45) due to the lower production numbers
  • Combined shipping letter airmail: It's possible for up to 3 sets, the first set costs EURO 40, the other two costs EURO 37 each
  • Combined shipping airmail parcel: It's possible for up to 15 sets, the first set costs EURO 40, the additional copies cost EURO 37 each
  • Shipping date: Production takes about 1 week, so the shipping will be one week after I've collected the money
  • Pre-order is open until 09.01.2014 CET 4PM. On the following Sunday night I am going to order the first batch of this series. If there is enough interest after this first run I will order another batch. Due to lower production numbers the price will rise quite a bit
  • If you don't want to be listed public please drop me a line and I'll remove the name
  • Contact outside AtariAge: If you are interested in a set but not registered here at AtariAge you can drop me a line at: order@retrogamesshop.com

Marc.

PS: If you are interested in my other trading cards, just check back here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231650-intellivision-trading-cards-series-1/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199129-atari-7800-trading-cards-series-1/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225742-atari-7800-trading-cards-series-2/

post-36-0-37270500-1420197439_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-25084500-1420197442_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-60910800-1420197444_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-99760700-1420197446_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-82364800-1420197450_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-40348200-1420197455_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-98573100-1420197459_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-77761800-1420197474_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-57966200-1420197480_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-77803300-1420197486_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-99969400-1420197505_thumb.png

post-36-0-69551000-1420197518_thumb.png

Edited by Marc Oberhäuser
  • Like 3

1 set for me. Ill pm you.

One question. And I think I know the answer, this initial set is of just ATARI published games, right? No 3rd party games?

After Atari, will you continue 3rd party sets? I would love some of at least the more popuplar 3rd party sets....Activision, Parker Bros. etc

1 set for me. Ill pm you.

One question. And I think I know the answer, this initial set is of just ATARI published games, right? No 3rd party games?

After Atari, will you continue 3rd party sets? I would love some of at least the more popuplar 3rd party sets....Activision, Parker Bros. etc

Yep, Atari first, followed by all legal/proper 3rd party releases.

• Like 1

Around how many Series will it take for a 'complete' Atari 2600 card collection? I'm just trying to evaluate my total cost were I to purchase them all. For instance, if there are eventually Series 1-4 I'll be paying around $200 USD (EURO 160).

Indeed quite a few. I hope to be able to lower the price. I am looking for a cheaper printer, but wasn't able to find one yet. It just depends on the numbers printed. 20 to 80 copies are very low production figures for pro printed cards, at least here in Germany :/

Indeed quite a few. I hope to be able to lower the price. I am looking for a cheaper printer, but wasn't able to find one yet. It just depends on the numbers printed. 20 to 80 copies are very low production figures for pro printed cards, at least here in Germany :/

Thanks for the reply, Marc. Yeah, considering there are over 400? games for the Atari I might have to be selective on my purchases. These look great, but I might hold off for the Activision Series :)

Thanks for the reply, Marc. Yeah, considering there are over 400? games for the Atari I might have to be selective on my purchases. These look great, but I might hold off for the Activision Series :)

Totally understandable. Currently I am discussing options with Al producing the cards for the following sets in the States. That could be quite a bit cheaper, We are working on it :)

• Like 2

Very, very tempting. These trading cards look awesome. But the price is hefty. Moving production over to the U.S. won't make it any better for me as I'll have to pay shipping costs back to Germany then. So I need to buy them now or never. Will need to sleep some more nights over it...

Should be fair use.

Fair use doesn't apply in this situation, especially since this is a for-profit activity. These are derivative copies of the original artwork and as such infringe on the original copyright. Especially since Atari is still using this artwork on current products.

It's a shame, because I would really like a set. Marc, has there been any discussion with Atari on officially licensed cards?

Fair use doesn't apply in this situation, especially since this is a for-profit activity. These are derivative copies of the original artwork and as such infringe on the original copyright. Especially since Atari is still using this artwork on current products.

It's a shame, because I would really like a set. Marc, has there been any discussion with Atari on officially licensed cards?

With your logic you also couldn't make price catalogs without licensing every single picture.

Back in 1980 I would have agreed as Atari could have claimed that you are doing business with unlicensed images. Like making your own Football trading cards of the current season.

You may want to read on Wikipedia what kind of images can be used and which not.

With your logic you also couldn't make price catalogs without licensing every single picture.

Back in 1980 I would have agreed as Atari could have claimed that you are doing business with unlicensed images. Like making your own Football trading cards of the current season.

You may want to read on Wikipedia what kind of images can be used and which not.

I'm sorry, but your analysis is incorrect, at least under US copyright law and likely most other Western European laws as well. This is the use of copyrighted images in a commercial manner. These images are not being used to promote or solicit the sale of the goods pictured in the images. The images printed on the cards are the actual goods being sold. Similarly, you'd be hard pressed to claim there was some academic or scholarly purpose to these cards. As such, there is no "fair use" or other copyright exception here and it doesn't matter if it's 1980 or 2015 in this particular case as the images are still within copyright. So while it is probably unlikely that Atari will take action, they certainly would be within their rights to do so.

What's funny is this very thing is what got me into collecting Atari games when I was a kid. Everyone was collecting something... mostly baseball or basketball cards. I wasn't into sports very much but loved the artwork on the games and the fact that I could get almost any 2600 game for $1-$2 at a local Flea Market made it even that more interesting. Nevermind the fact they were games you could actually play and you never knew what you were going to get. :)

It'll be a real shame if you are right and didn't snag a set before a C&D. Most Princess Rescue owners are pretty pleased with their now very collectible cart.