IGNORED

New Book: DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line

DOWNRIGHT BIZARRE GAMES: Video Games that Crossed the Line

Downright Bizarre Games pokes fun at the video game industry, an entertainment business that often takes itself much too seriously. This is a hilarious look at the odd side of the industry, from games outside of the norm to bad art and outlandish dialogue. Also featured are unfortunate headlines, marketing fiascos and publicity stunts gone awry. All these eccentric and strange events are documented within this book which gaming professionals wish had never seen print.

Downright%20Strange%20Games%20sm.jpg

SoftCover:
http://www.blurb.com/b/7444244-downright-bizarre-games

Deluxe HardBack:
http://www.blurb.com/b/7444204-downright-bizarre-games

Edited by gooddealgames
  • Like 1

I was expecting this inquiry. The omission is intentional. The book was designed with North American console games in mind. If successful, a second volume containing coin-op, imports, PC, etc. will be released. Thanks to those that have expressed an interest or already picked up a copy. I TRULY appreciate the support.

• Like 3

I was expecting this inquiry. The omission is intentional. The book was designed with North American console games in mind. If successful, a second volume containing coin-op, imports, PC, etc. will be released. Thanks to those that have expressed an interest or already picked up a copy. I TRULY appreciate the support.

I thought as much. Thank you for the response.

• 2 weeks later...

A Dog's Life was a great game. Unconventional, perhaps, but good.

Yeah, Mr. Mosquito. Never really figured that out.

Surprised I didn't see "Aquanauts Holiday" or "Tail of the Sun" on the list. Again, good games but not very typical. Kind of an Ecco vibe.

Curious why Smash TV made the list though. Maybe just the backstory?

• Like 1

“Good Luck, you’ll need it!”

It’s a hands-on, no-holds-barred, do-or-die adventure! “The year is 1999. Television has adapted to the more violent nature of man. The most popular form of television remains the game show. One show in particular has dominated the ratings. That show is Smash TV, the most violent game show of all time. Two lucky contestants compete for cash and prizes. Each contestant is armed with an assortment of powerful weapons and sent into a closed arena. The action takes place in front of a studio audience and broadcast live via satellite around the world. Be prepared. The future is now. You are the next lucky contestant!”

Smash TV is the unofficial sequel to the duel-stick shooter Robotron: 2084, also designed by Eugene Jarvis. The game’s story line is loosely based on The Running Man, a 1987 film based on a novel penned by horror author Stephen King. The game says very little, but when it does it throws out cheesy catchphrases like “Total Carnage, I love it!” or “I’d buy that for a dollar!” The latter being a nod to Bixby Snyder, the fictional TV host that appeared in the film RoboCop.

The contestants mow down hordes of attacking enemies using rocket launchers, grenades, smart bombs, and spinning shurikens, all while the audience cheers on the player. There is a seemingly endless wave of assailants comprised of tanks, various snakes including the Cobra Twins, and “gentlemen” such as Mr. Shrapnel, Scarface, and The Mutoid Man. Making a cameo are the Robotron Grunts disguised as Hulk Clubbers.

Up for grabs are gold bricks, toasters, home video games, automobiles, televisions, luggage, video cassette recorders, all-expense paid vacations, and of course the coveted cash bonus! Best not to inquire about the “good meat” that is also awarded. Sponsorship must be healthy, as the game show very generously awards the prizes in very large quantities. Perhaps the producers figure the player won’t make it out alive to claim the dozens of lawn mowers and hundreds of pieces of luggage! How many VCRs does one person need, anyway? “Let’s Go!”

Grab 10 keys along the way to gain access to The Pleasure Dome and earn “BIG money and BIG prizes!”
*SPOILER ALERT* In the end, the game show host mutates into the ultimate boss, hurling hundreds of eyeballs while phrasing more verbal interjections. “Bingo!”