IGNORED

New Version of Atari800MacX Released

atarimac

Hi All,

I wanted to make sure people saw this, as it was mentioned in the old thread about sound not working.

I know I've been for the most part silent for the past 4+ years. I've had my head down completing my PhD, and then this fall teaching my first semester of classes as a Computer Science professor.

I finally managed to get enough time over the holidays to make the changes to integrate the new version of libSDL 2.0 into Atari800MacX. The 2.0 version makes wholesale changes to many things, including rendering, sound, and keypresses, so it took me about 2 weeks of effort to make the changes. The good news is that moving to 2.0 should enable the emulator to with stand changes to Mac OSX in future versions, assuming that the library authors keep up with them.

I want to thank Paulo (pedgarcia), as he fixed sound independently of me, and has been helping with changes to this new version.

The changes fix the sound and full screen issues, as well as printer emulation which wasn't working anymore either. Be aware though it is still Alpha quality software, as the amount of testing I have done is limited (although I'm sure all of you can help there :) ).

I'm still waiting to hear from Al on the website FTP, but for now, you can grab the new release from Github if you like:

Please use the issue system there on github to enter issues you find. I will update the main web page when I can, but I may move to using github.iio pages as well in the future.

The source has been moved there as well, at least for 4.6 and 5.0. Anyone who would like to get involved in future development, please let us know, or just fork the project.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Like 20

I don't have any machines running anything old enough to do PPC development, if that's what you are asking.

The source is still available, so if someone wanted to do volunteer to do changes they could, but I know from my time limitations, I will not have time to setup any sort of virtualization to support old Xcode development, and I have no test machines for PPC.

Hi Mr. Fish,

OK, you just want to be able to run on Snow Leopard.

I know I won't have the time to maintain two branches (including maintaining the development environment).

If someone is set up for that and wants to do that, I'd be glad to have them help through github.

Mark

• Like 1

I got Snow Leopard running, inside is Xcode 3 I guess. Is that the machine which makes Atari800MacX work with down to 10.3 PPC?

I made it to compile the .app in Leopard (PPC) using the latest Xcode there, but that had a size of 18MB (original download was 10.8MB). In Snow Leopard, it compiled to that 10.8MB big .app, while on SL the original download seemed to be displayed as 11MB. Idk what's going on there, but may be in SL they changed the divider from 1024 to 1000 to show the number of mega bytes.

All in all, I have 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.11 running on several machines. All run Atari800MacX 4.6.0 and all should be able to run a version of Xcode.

The downside is, I never really worked on big projects, so I do not know if I will make it to merge newer on older code. And I don't have any Mac running Sierra+ to compare a forked 4.6.x with the official 5.0.x.

Edited by atarixle

I know I've been for the most part silent for the past 4+ years. I've had my head down completing my PhD, and then this fall teaching my first semester of classes as a Computer Science professor.
I finally managed to get enough time over the holidays to make the changes to integrate the new version of libSDL 2.0 into Atari800MacX. The 2.0 version makes wholesale changes to many things, including rendering, sound, and keypresses, so it took me about 2 weeks of effort to make the changes. The good news is that moving to 2.0 should enable the emulator to with stand changes to Mac OSX in future versions, assuming that the library authors keep up with them.

Congratulations on your new tenure and thank you very much for updating the Emulator!

Well, I got it up and running.

Xcode alerts: SDL is supporting 10.6 and higher (so not 10.5). May be this is an issue of version 2.0.9.

Anyway, I got the untouched source of Atari800MacX 5.0.0 up and running on El Capitan. 10.6 is the Deployment-Target.

I just get no 32 Bit version of that app (it does not run on my 32 Bit SL Mac)

But it runs on my 64 Bit MacBook3,1 on OS X Lion.

Edited by atarixle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - the first time I tried the Retrolink with Atari800MacX was with this new version. I just ordered a 2600daptorII!

I bought the 2600daptorII a couple of years ago when the Atari ST emulator (Hatari) updated their code to SDL 2.x. At that point, the Retrolink stopped working. I'm assuming the Retrolink isn't seen correctly by SDL 2.x. I've had no problems with the 2600daptorII in Atari800MacX. I had it detect the controller and it just started working.

Bob C