IGNORED

Rainbow Invaders Label Contest - Winner Announced!

rainbow_contest.jpgRainbow Invaders is a new Space Invaders style game for the Atari 2600 from Italian developer Silvio Mogno. While many games of this nature have been released for the 2600 (to say nothing of the countless Space Invaders hacks), Silvio's game adds a breath of fresh air to the genre. Yes, you are shooting at descending waves of alien invaders, attempting to finish them off before they reach the ground. However, the aliens also periodically drop one of 16 random Special Shots, some of which will help and some of which will hinder your efforts if you catch them. Your ship also features a shield that will make you invulnerable for a few seconds, at the expense of not being able to fire again right away.

AtariAge and Silvio Mogno are sponsoring a contest to create original artwork for Rainbow Invaders This label artwork will appear on all copies of Rainbow Invaders, which will be available through the AtariAge Store. This artwork will also be featured on the cover of the manual created for Rainbow Invaders.You can learn more about how to enter the contest here.

Rainbow Invaders Contest Winner Announced!

rainbow_winner.jpgThere were many great entries submitted to the Rainbow Invaders Label Contest, and the difficult decision to choose a single winner fell upon programmer Silvio Mogno. After careful thought, Silvio picked one of Nathan Strum's designs as the label to grace the shipping version of Rainbow Invaders. Nathan's winning label design will appear on all copies of Rainbow Invaders sold through the AtariAge Store, including the cover of the manual (which has also been designed by Nathan). For winning the contest, Nathan will receive a $100 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store, as well as a copy of Rainbow Invaders featuring his winning design. Congratulations to Nathan Strum and to all the participants who took the time to enter the contest and show off their talents!

These AtariAge contests are awesome and this game looks great. But it seems to me that more people would participate if this was strictly an art/illustration contest. In other words I think the technical requirements of laying out front and end labels might discourage some people from submitting artwork. And while graphics software can produce some nice results I wouldn't mind seeing an old-school painting make it onto a label sometime. If nothing else it might add to the retro feel of the game.

I haven't any original idea to name this game... :) But you'll have to admit that enemyes are a bit more colourful than many similar 2600 titles.

Silvio,

Are you saying that you might consider alternate titles? Should we have a naming contest too?

Jacob

...But it seems to me that more people would participate if this was strictly an art/illustration contest. In other words I think the technical requirements of laying out front and end labels might discourage some people from submitting artwork. And while graphics software can produce some nice results I wouldn't mind seeing an old-school painting make it onto a label sometime...

There have been some quite painterly submissions in the past. For instance, Alexius Wronka's entry into the Krokodile Cart label contest. I believe the official line regarding work that doesn't quite conform to the rules in some details is that if the art is good enough, AA and the author will work with the artist to get the label ready. So, if you have a great idea but can't for some reason put the production time into making it look like a label, your design would probably have to be significantly better than the competition to win, but if I understand correctly, it wouldn't be ruled out.

You can get the fonts here. (Bauhaus is a better match though, if you can find it.)

Not an easy link to find. It'd be nice if the fonts were linked to from the contest page. :ponder:

As for the label layout, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just focus on the illustration and overall concept of the design. Contest winners inevitably go through some changes after the fact anyway.

I haven't any original idea to name this game... :) But you'll have to admit that enemyes are a bit more colourful than many similar 2600 titles.

Silvio,

Are you saying that you might consider alternate titles? Should we have a naming contest too?

Jacob

I think the name is a bit strange, but for me it sounds good. Maybe for my next game there will be a naming contest... ;)

Silvio