IGNORED

Atari800MacX Version 3.3.0 Released

Albert

AppleLogoPanther.gifVersion 3.3 of Atari800MacX has been released and is now available for downloading. Atari800MacX is a native Mac OS X Cocoa port of the popular Atari 800 emulator, which forms the basis for many 8-bit emulators on various platforms. This version contains the following new features and bug fixes:
  • Updated to the 1.2.10 release of libSDL, which includes official Universal Binary support.
  • Added new, realistic artifacting type. This produces much clearer text, and correctly varies luminance and displays player missile graphics in artifacted mode.
  • Fixed bug which would not allow keys used for joystick emulation to be used to type filenames in Fullscreen UI.
  • Fixed upside down printing of text in Epson and Atari825 Printer Emulators on OS X 10.3 and 10.4.
Please visit the Atari800MacX home page for complete details about what's new and to download the latest version (source code is also available).

All,

Some users have reported that Atari800MacX is slower on Intel macs that what they remember on PPC. This seems to mostly be coming from MacBook users. However, the same users have reported that turning off OpenGL in preferences, and using Software rendering instead restores performance.

As I don't have an Intel Mac, and most like will not for a year to two years, I don't have a way of debugging any issue there might be. Unless someone wants to donate one for me ;)......or if there is a developer out there who wants to help with Intel Macs.

Thanks,

Mark

All,

Some users have reported that Atari800MacX is slower on Intel macs that what they remember on PPC. This seems to mostly be coming from MacBook users. However, the same users have reported that turning off OpenGL in preferences, and using Software rendering instead restores performance.

Hmm, didn't really notice. I'll try it in both settings on my MBP17 and let you know if I see the difference.

That might be true, because the Macbook has an integrated graphics card with not so top notch 3D performance (while Atari800MacX draws only 2D, I don't know how it draws it, but perhaps it does it in a way that's not optimal for the Macbooks).

On my Macbook Pro, though, I notice no slowdowns.

However, I can't get the artifacts to work. I'm using a 3X sized screen. Anyone know what's wrong?

However, I can't get the artifacts to work. I'm using a 3X sized screen. Anyone know what's wrong?

eobet,

First, make sure you have an artifacting mode set in the Display panel in preferences. Then for you to see artifacting, you will have to be using a game or program that supports it, such as David's Midnight Magic for example.

If you still can't get it to work, feel free to email me at atarimac@cox.net, or reply on here.

Thanks,

Mark

All,

I tried both software and GL settings on 60fps limit and unlimited - both rendering modes turned in the same numbers in each case. Of course the MBP17 has a *much* faster graphics system than the MBs ;)

• 1 month later...

All,

As I don't have an Intel Mac, and most like will not for a year to two years, I don't have a way of debugging any issue there might be. Unless someone wants to donate one for me ;)......or if there is a developer out there who wants to help with Intel Macs.

Thanks,

Mark

Ive been using this emulator on my Intel Imac 20" for about a week it works great! I have no idea why

some are complaining there is no slowdown at all, it is my favorite emulator for the Mac OS (okay Im bias

since I am an atari XL/XE user at heart!). My imac has a 128mb ATI graphics card which is not excactly

pushing the envelope for gfx, not sure if that is much better then MacBook. I wish someone would make

an Amiga emulator for my Intel imac that was as flawless as Atari800MACX.

Just thought I would let you know what a great emulator this is and how much I enjoy it.

Thanks.. Kevin