IGNORED

ColecoNation Issue #9 Published

coleconation.jpgA new issue of ColecoNation has been published and is now available for your viewing pleasure. Issue #9 contains the following content:
  • Interview with Paul Jaquays (worked in Game Design at Coleco from 1980 to 1985)
  • Review of Deflektor Kollection
  • Pac-Man Collection article by Eduardo Mello
  • Reviews of Midwest Gaming Classic, Zaxxon, and Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames
  • The latest ColecoVision news
To read the latest issue as well as catch up on any back issues you've missed, please visit ColecoNation.

Great interview! I guess that finally puts to rest any speculation of a more complete Tunnels and Trolls game being found (unfortunately).

Also, I remember being really disappointed when I bought Destructor with my hard-earned paper-route money. I remember on the box for the Driving Wheel that they advertised "Destruction Derby" as "Coming Soon". So I figured Destructor was Destruction Derby only with a different name. Boy was I upset when I found out otherwise. Looks like even the folks inside Coleco thought it was a stinker....

I am suprised he knocks Turbo though. It may not have been as smooth as the arcade, but it was a pretty darn good attempt. I always thought it was one of the higher profile licenses that Coleco got as well. The Dukes was also a pretty good game, and with a bit more tweaking could have been excellent, imho.

Keep the great interviews coming!!!

I am suprised he knocks Turbo though. It may not have been as smooth as the arcade, but it was a pretty darn good attempt. I always thought it was one of the higher profile licenses that Coleco got as well.

Many people seem to share your opinion. Paul seems to think that it should have been more like Atari's Night Driver. Are the two that different? Is Night Driver a really good racing game?

I've never played the arcade version of Turbo, but in my opinion, the CV version really only feels like a racing game because of the steering wheel. It's a fun game regardless, but your car moves more like a pong paddle across the screen then a race car.

+ Nathan

Man, I wish some more protos would show up for the Colecovision. One of the things that makes collecting for the Atari systems (and the Intellivision to a lesser extent) so fun and exciting is all the protos that are out there. With the Colecovision there are only a handful of protos that have surfaced (many, many years ago), and the prospects for finding any more seem pretty grim. I guess Coleco didn't start many games that they didn't finish. Maybe that's the result of contracting all the games out, since the contract houses probably didn't get paid until they finished the game -- so they had a lot of incentive or something.....

Edited by else

I too wish more CV protos were out there. It definitely adds to the excitement of collecting games for a specific system.

Based on what Paul and Dave said, it seems like protos of the early, never-released games is probably rare. They seemed to quickly shut down the development of games that the retailers weren't excited about. However, there's got to be protos of games that were being developed right before Coleco closed down. Paul mentioned Tac-Scan being fairly far along and I'm sure many of Coleco's early releases were being improved for their ADAM/Super Game versions (both mentioned working on a Super Gorf). Plus, third-party companies had to have been working on CV games.

I'm sure there's ex-Coleco employees out there that still have some EPROMs lying around. It's just hard to track them down since many are not really associated with the industry any more. Unfortunately, so far the only ones that I've talked with have thrown out their Coleco stuff a long time ago.

+ Nathan

I thought Tac-Scan had been found. I could have sworn the DP guide had a blurb about it.

Tempest

Nope. It's under their "Rumor Mill" section.

You might have got it mixed up with the Vic-20 its Tac-Scan prototype.

+ Nathan

Yes I did. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tempest

Not exactly a prototype, but I thought I'd share this anyways. This is an early release version of Sunrise's Gust Buster that I managed to get a hold of. Sorry for the blurry pic of the cart buttom, but its showing the Sunrise name molded in to the cart.

post-160-1155266925_thumb.jpgpost-160-1155266911_thumb.jpg

post-160-1155266941.jpgpost-160-1155266953_thumb.jpg

post-160-1155266865_thumb.jpgpost-160-1155266985_thumb.jpg

Edited by wgungfu