IGNORED

All batari Basic users, what is your screen resolution?

Random Terrain

What is your screen resolution?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is your screen resolution?

• 640 x 480 or less
    • 800 x 600
    • 1024 x 768
    • 1152 x 864 or more

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If this is for your web site, you might want to assume a lower resolution, just to be safe. 640x480 used to be the safe default, but I think 800x600 is safe these days. But as long as you specify somewhere on your web site that it's designed for at least 1024x768, you can consider your ass covered! :)

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff

My whole web site is designed for 800 x 600 or above, but I need more room on my version of the batari Basic page and it sure would be nice if I could move to the next step past 800 x 600 (just for that page). If it seems that most batari Basic users have moved past 800 x 600, I'll feel less 'guilty' about it.

Edited by Random Terrain

800x600 represents a very small percentage of users, that resolutio hasn't been a "safe" resolution for a couple of years

That's what I read that people in the computer and software industries believe, and that's what our company tells our users to use when running our software systems. But what I find when talking to our clients is that there are many people out there who still run at 800x600-- far more than I would have expected. In fact, when we recommend that they change to 1024x768, some of them refuse! And I have a friend who insists on keeping his resolution at 640x480, because it's easier on his eyes. However, for a web page dedicated to batari BASIC, I would assume a safe resolution of 1024x768, since I think the people who will be viewing the web site are more likely to be using that resolution. And as long as there's a message somewhere near the upper left corner of the home page stating that the web site is designed for a resolution of at least 1024x768, then the users will know.

Michael

However, for a web page dedicated to batari BASIC, I would assume a safe resolution of 1024x768, since I think the people who will be viewing the web site are more likely to be using that resolution. And as long as there's a message somewhere near the upper left corner of the home page stating that the web site is designed for a resolution of at least 1024x768, then the users will know.

And so far it looks like there are no votes below 1024 x 768, so I'll go ahead and make the page larger tonight.

Thanks.

And so far it looks like there are no votes below 1024 x 768, so I'll go ahead and make the page larger tonight.

One thing I'd strongly suggest is that you, to the extent possible, avoid sizing things based on pixels. There are a number of ways that sizes can be specified (pixels, points, multiples of default size, etc.) and sizing things based on pixels will result in them either being too large for people using lower screen resolutions or too small for people using higher resolutions on small-ish monitors (e.g. 1280x1024 on a 17").

Pictures can pose a problem with that approach, although depending upon what the pictures are being used for it may be acceptable to scale them using img tag style properties.

One thing I'd strongly suggest is that you, to the extent possible, avoid sizing things based on pixels. There are a number of ways that sizes can be specified (pixels, points, multiples of default size, etc.) and sizing things based on pixels will result in them either being too large for people using lower screen resolutions or too small for people using higher resolutions on small-ish monitors (e.g. 1280x1024 on a 17").

For fonts, I used to use points, but I discovered that no matter what we tried, the fonts on my mother's computer were too large, but when she visited web sites that used 'px" instead of 'pt,' the fonts were the correct size. That's when I went with 'px' for my site and since people can change the text size using my text control center or by using a browser such as Firefox, I figured there wasn't much harm done.

Oh yeah, on an unrelated subject, I didn't do much to the content of the page yet, but I did spruce up the tone chart a bit:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me....html#tonechart

Second edit:

Now the page has been updated for version 1.0:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...c-commands.html

New commands, updated look, and a few interactive areas for Firefox users.

Edited by Random Terrain