IGNORED

Gauntlet by Donald R. Lebeau 1984

highendsystems

Well, Phil was nice enough to get in touch with us several days ago. Here are the instructions for the game we received earlier today: http://www.atarimania.com/Gauntletak.pdf

Mega thanks for the scans and we have our fingers crossed for the disk ;-)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Do you think you will be using PDF more often for your manual scans? I like PDF's more than the separate picture files.

That's one ugly page... Need to upload better screenshots :ponder:

I believe Dr. Clu, one of the disks I gave you had the registered version of Gauntlet on them. Still have these disks?

Guys, please, PLEASE, PLEASE check the various websites and archive any rare stuff that you don't find on the Internet. This is the sort of program that is IMPOSSIBLE to find nowadays and REALLY needs to be preserved.

I know I have it somewhere!!! When I get everything unpacked I will find it.

Has anyone found it? Was wondering if I could get a copy on a 5.25" floppy for the original Atari Hardware?

I'll pay for shipping/handling and floppy ofcouse, or would someone be interested in selling the original?

thanks!

Wow, I remember this demo, was one of my favorites. :)

Amaurote was another, that I couldnt figure out but was cool...

Any luck finding a copy of this?

Thanks

Fuji-Man

A very big thank you to Phil for getting in touch, scanning the manual and taking the time to send out the disk to Shawn Jefferson, who very kindly and promptly archived the game. Kudos to you guys :thumbsup:

Atarimania link: http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=20465

--

Atari Frog

Edited by www.atarimania.com

As far as I am aware, there was no copy protection on this disk, and I made a straight ATR image... I didn't use VAPI. If anyone knows differently (Donald maybe?) I'll make a VAPI image and upload it!

I never really played this game back in the day, and it's not really my cup of genre, but this game is very polished and plays quite well. It's too bad that it wasn't more successful, or published by (at least) APX. I guess it was a matter of timing though.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Just curious. I know that atarimania likes to provide the vapi version of a disk if available. But doesn't that, then, limit it's use to windows only machines? Since the source code for VAPI is not available, only the DLL file?

I'm afraid only someone like Jorge can answer questions related to the program itself. Atarimania is hosting the project but it's difficult to respond to technical interrogations at the moment. I really hope Jorge is OK and will chime in.

Phil copied Gauntletak from his original disk and the game wasn't copy-protected.

--

Atari Frog

I'm afraid only someone like Jorge can answer questions related to the program itself. Atarimania is hosting the project but it's difficult to respond to technical interrogations at the moment. I really hope Jorge is OK and will chime in.

I believe he prefers that VAPI/PASTI images are made of floppies that are unprotected as well.

Pasti is also involved for the preservation of disks with no on-disk copy protection. These disks can be imaged with standard tools and stored as standard ST images (ST/MSA). But standard tools can’t verify the condition of the disk. Then a plan ST image might be taken from a disk that is damaged or modified.

The Pasti preservation tools can verify a disk for being in “mint” condition or not. We call “mint” a disk that is not damaged or modified. And we obviously want to preserve images taken from disks in mint condition.

I haven't heard from him in a while, hope everything is OK as well.

Ahh I see. To bad he is MIA for the time being. Just mentioned my concern because the .DLL format wont last forever. Just a simple architect change, or even OS change, can completely invalidate it. Plus it prevents use by people on other platforms (aka Mac, linux, etc).

Anyways the point I was getting at is it'd be nice if Atarmania provided an "unprotected" image in addition to any VAPI images for those not using the intel architect.