IGNORED

A "rare" cart up on eBay

lonesome_pa

People who have no clue take chances that there are others who also have no clue. Maybe someone will be stupid enough to bid $9.99 or even buy it for $100. If I ever saw anything like that happen though, I'd contact this person and sell every game to him for like $50 each. hehe ;)

Phil

My curiosity got the best of me, and I e-mailed the seller, asking what made this copy of Surround rare enough to be worth $100.

This is the exact reply I got: "there are only 48 copies of this in circulation"

:ponder:

I guess the AA rarity guide is way off! And I certainly feel lucky now to know that I already own one of the 47 other copies that are out there! :wink:

I actually did a "titles and descriptions" search for "Atari Surround" on eBay, and then I tallied up the copies of Surround for sale:

Surround with picture label: 20

Surround with text label (or not pictured in auction): 24

So there are 44 copies of Surround for sale right now on eBay. Even if the "48" only counts picture label copies, 3 of us on this board plus copies for sale on eBay account for half of the known copies on Earth!

What are the odds!?!?! :roll:

(By the way, I also own the text/number label version, so with my 2, lonesome's 2, Lemmi's 1, and the 44 on eBay, that would be 49, if the seller meant 48 total, any label. But now we're just getting academic. Bottom line, the guy is clueless.)

The seller has replied to my original e-mail to him, asking why this is rare. The response:

"on the cart where the 2 people are sitting on the left is the girl and the right side is the guy it was a error print on the label"

I took a close look at the cart in the auction and as much as I can tell, it looks exactly like the label in the AA archive.

Clearly the seller's cart is not a reversed image of the picture in the archive. I can't imagine Atari would've had two almost-identical paintings done for this game (just reversing the two players).

Well, I actually e-mailed this "character" too, and I asked him the following:

"Forgive me for asking, but I was wondering why you were asking a buy it now price of $100 for a common cartridge? I'm just curious."

And then I get a response as follows:

"just to make you ask me that question hahaha"

So we have a real comedian here who is trying to b/s and swindle someone and gives everyone a different answer if asked almost the same question. Obviously this bidder can do better (even in the wild), and I almost can't sit by and watch this happen, but I wonder what can be done? Seeing this done to someone really blows my top. :x

What a sorry picture (which says only a lot of words about the seller) and

virtually no text description. Maybe the buyer can retract his bid for lack of an adequate description, but they may actually want the cartridge for $10.00....