IGNORED

What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?

Rhindle The Red

What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?

• Pitfall! (2600, INTV, etc.)
    • Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (2600, 5200, etc.)
    • Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Arcade)
    • Super Pitfall (NES)
    • Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Jaguar, SNES, etc.)
    • Pitfall 3-D (PS)
    • Pitfall: Beyond the Jungle (GBC)
    • Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (GCN, PS2, etc.)
    • Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (GBA)
    • I can't decide. There are too many good choices.
    • I don't really like any of them.
    • I don't know. Never played a one of 'em.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If the later versions also had zero replay value then I guess I would be forced to choose the lesser evil and vote for the original since beginners could walk left and skip a screen they died on instead of replaying it until they went insane. It would have to be hacked or reprogrammed with a large dose of Controlled Randomness for it to be a favorite game.

It would have to be hacked or reprogrammed with a large dose of Controlled Randomness for it to be a favorite game.
I remember you having said this once before (or twice or... :ponder: ) ;)

I'm being secretly paid by Warren Robinett and Howard Scott Warshaw to push replayability propaganda to set the stage for their eventual takeover of the world. :D

Edited by Random Terrain

If the later versions also had zero replay value then I guess I would be forced to choose the lesser evil and vote for the original since beginners could walk left and skip a screen they died on instead of replaying it until they went insane. It would have to be hacked or reprogrammed with a large dose of Controlled Randomness for it to be a favorite game.

That would be cool ... a new game each time you play, like NetHack (or Rogue, Diablo, etc etc). It wouldn't make it any harder, but it would make things a bit more interesting if you had memorized the original.

Since we're all going to vote for 1 or 2, how about which Pitfall do you dislike the most?

OK, you asked for it. I dislike Pitfall II the most:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1210126

. . . I think games like Adventure and E.T. are much better than that so-called adventure game Pitfall II: Lost Caverns where things are always in the same place and you jump over mindless enemies that just bounce up and down or move back and forth and usually don't even know you're there. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns did have some cool things in it such as being able to swim, but for the most part, it was just another lame exercise in perfect timing with nothing else to offer except the frustration of going back many screens to do it all over again. At least the original Pitfall let you skip or retry the screen you were on (your choice depending on whether you went left or right). The idiotically frustrating idea of making you go back multiple screens was not an advance, it was a giant step backwards and that model is still used today by misguided game designers.

I'm not the only one who believes that the most popular Activision games which lacked replayability and smart enemies were a major influence on those dark years dominated by Nintendo. It's too bad that more game designers back then weren't inspired by Adventure to make all kinds of replayable games with smarter enemies that weren't dependent on static starting positions and predetermined movements. If various types of games that were based on the Adventure template could have been created, maybe gamers would have demanded more instead of being lulled into accepting that vast wasteland of games for so long. We'd come across an occasional oasis over the years, but even now we are still just barely crawling out, reaching for the edges of the promised land.