IGNORED

What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?

Rhindle The Red

What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite "Pitfall" game?

• Pitfall! (2600, INTV, etc.)
    • Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (2600, 5200, etc.)
    • Pitfall II: Lost Caverns (Arcade)
    • Super Pitfall (NES)
    • Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (Jaguar, SNES, etc.)
    • Pitfall 3-D (PS)
    • Pitfall: Beyond the Jungle (GBC)
    • Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (GCN, PS2, etc.)
    • Pitfall: The Lost Expedition (GBA)
    • I can't decide. There are too many good choices.
    • I don't really like any of them.
    • I don't know. Never played a one of 'em.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

OK, who the hell voted for Super Pitfall?

It wasn't me.

But I have to ask some folks here, isn't NES's Super Pitfall

very similar game style to Pitfall II, just a bit slower and uglier?

I personally don't think Pitfall II is all that special.

The screens all look the same, endless timimg... and climbing up and down ladders... and its "sorta" fun but can't help but wonder why it got such rave reviews? There's no spontaneity to this game... it's slow, tedious and dull. With a bit of fun moments now and then (if you can have tons of patience).

I bought and played this first, on eBay about 10 years ago and didn't like it or even get what I was supposed to do (no instructions) and sold it back online, why u ask??

(it was worth more then $5 dollars) and I am a 2600 collector and I still didn't keep it!!

I got $16 dollars for mine *the cart was like mint shape* so I was happy to get rid of that ugly brown turd ;)

Just the past few days, with the use of a tip sheet, I was able to solve it, the same day I got the tips at the HSC.

There's no challenge left at all, I memorized everything in two days. Yesterday night, I got a score of 198,000. Perfect is 199,000.

-LAME! :P

SO, OBVIOUSLY I VOTED FOR - Original "PITFALL!"

WTF?! this topic n post is 3 years ago... I must have voted a while back lol. :twisted:

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I had to abstain, since there was no choice for Super Pitfall (COCO3).

I had that as a young one, and loved it. It didn't have the graphic glitches of the NES version. Sure, it wasn't full screen, but to me, it was great playing a real platform game on my COCO that had in-game music and NES-like graphics. I finished it many times, without any kind of cheats. I don't know if there even are any cheats for the COCO version.

I agree that Super Pitfall is very similar in design to Pitfall II.

P2..

Although I must be one of the few people who loved Super Pitfall. ANd yes, I beat it.

But, did you have the stamina to beat it TWICE? The hidden objects change the 2nd time around. I went for a third time and my hands got sore and nothing felt different from the 2nd time.

I respect where everyone is coming from - especially on an Atari centric forum. Nevertheless, the original Pitfalls never really did it for me. The later Pitfalls were not, really, er, Pitfall.

I wish the Atari games were more like this:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2398.0

Edited by theloon

P2..

Although I must be one of the few people who loved Super Pitfall. ANd yes, I beat it.

But, did you have the stamina to beat it TWICE? The hidden objects change the 2nd time around. I went for a third time and my hands got sore and nothing felt different from the 2nd time.

I did the same. And yes, I saw the same thing. During the third time through, it seemed exactly the same as the second round.

Can't remember if I beat it again, or if I said "well, that's good enough for me".

Nice to find that someone else was as crazy as I was!

-John

Well, it's deeply ingrained into the Internets that Super Pitfall fails. No stopping common opinion. 250 screens of free roaming platform action was pretty rare for its day though. It didn't push you through time limits. It didn't forbid old areas or force you to scroll right. You explored. You spelunked. Okay, you turned down the volume. The soundtrack was trying to pay homage to Pitfall II and kinda shouldn't have.

I still remember the awesome ZOMG WTF moments like the vulture teleporter or getting to the last area for the first time. Even the glitches are awesome. Finding out how to stand underwater and pass through walls was 'bout it beyond belief.

Well, it's deeply ingrained into the Internets that Super Pitfall fails. No stopping common opinion. 250 screens of free roaming platform action was pretty rare for its day though. It didn't push you through time limits. It didn't forbid old areas or force you to scroll right. You explored. You spelunked. Okay, you turned down the volume. The soundtrack was trying to pay homage to Pitfall II and kinda shouldn't have.

I still remember the awesome ZOMG WTF moments like the vulture teleporter or getting to the last area for the first time. Even the glitches are awesome. Finding out how to stand underwater and pass through walls was 'bout it beyond belief.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for this game too.

Seeing that vulture that turned around (which they don't do), and then not being able to shoot it... yeah.

I knew something was up. Then, jumping into it and teleporting was crazy!

I think my favorite moment was when I learned how to fall down the "waterfall" at the top, and land on a spider on the next rung down.

You'd die, but you'd start at the level right underneath, without having to climb through the dang thing.

I wonder if I still have the skills to play it now...

I have no idea where any of the keys are. Tho, it's forever ingrained in my head how to get to Stone Rhonda's world.

-John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd go with Pitfall II on the CoCo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPlWrFm0IiA

I posted this video before I got my Multi-Pak Interface and Speech and Sound Pak out of storage. Without the Speech and Sound Pak there isn't any music.

Whoa! Can you get past that super fast rat on the 2600 version? I always thought it was impossible so you had to take the long way with all those birds and bats.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Where's the poll option for "other"?

I Vote for Monster Pitfall (Gamate).

First of all, this poll is five years old. It's missing at least a couple of "Pitfalls", I believe.

Second, that game is *awesome*. I need me one...

Yeah, it's a pretty cool game. The difficulty is through the roof though, but that gives it "replay value" IMO. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Pitfall! II 2600/5200. I love that game so much! I wish someone would do a third version for 2600.

I like how on the 5200, after collecting all of the treasures, a secret passage opens and you get to play in an all new layout.

Does anyone know if the 400 version is that way too?