IGNORED

Any more new 7800 games in the works?

birdie3

I hope so..

I am not talking about hacks either. Just curious. :ponder: :cool:

Yep, there sure is. I've got one sitting on my desk right now actually that only 4 people currently know exists. It's 100 perent completed and ready to go out the door too. :cool:

P.S. I am not the programmer of this game I just did the carts.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I hope so..

I am not talking about hacks either. Just curious. :ponder: :cool:

Yep, there sure is. I've got one sitting on my desk right now actually that only 4 people currently know exists. It's 100 perent completed and ready to go out the door too. :cool:

P.S. I am not the programmer of this game I just did the carts.

A new one or a hack. I'm not putting down hacks. I was just curious.

Allan

New

Very cool. Do you have an ETA on the announcement?

Allan

Within the next 2 months at the longest I would assume. One thing I will say is this is gonna be a big deal trust me on that one. EVERYONE that owns a 7800 will be able to enjoy this program.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

New

Allan

Within the next 2 months at the longest I would assume. One thing I will say is this is gonna be a big deal trust me on that one. EVERYONE that owns a 7800 will be able to enjoy this program.

Now that is a very bold claim. I am intruiged despite myself ;)

New

Allan

Since you said it was 100% complete, I am assuming the wait is for labels/box/manual etc.?

Allan

I can understand the secrecy.

Back in 2000-2002, I was doing some 7800 programming.

I actually had a few demos of things that were working, but I just... lost the drive to work on them. Sometimes that happens to programmers.

There's a lot of immense pressure to work on something constantly once it is announced.

And, that turns a "fun project" into work... and work sucks. ;)

In fact, look at this thread-- it's going to skyrocket like crazy. Everyone is going to beg for hints about it now that it's announced that there's a cat in a bag. And it's a big one.

I'll admit I'm curious myself, but I'll just say "I understand".

Guess I'll save up $50 for whatever this is, just to be prepared.

-John

I actually had a few demos of things that were working, but I just... lost the drive to work on them. Sometimes that happens to programmers.

There's a lot of immense pressure to work on something constantly once it is announced.

-John

I totally agree with that... That happens to me when I can't figure something out. I'm actually working on something 7800-related now which I've been kind of 'stuck' on, and because of that I haven't been spending too much time on it. Of course, having projects due at work doesn't help, either. :ponder:

Back on topic, I am very curious on what this new application is (hopefully it's a game)... :)

Bob

• Like 1

I can understand the secrecy.

Back in 2000-2002, I was doing some 7800 programming.

In fact, look at this thread-- it's going to skyrocket like crazy. Everyone is going to beg for hints about it now that it's announced that there's a cat in a bag. And it's a big one.

I'll admit I'm curious myself, but I'll just say "I understand".

Guess I'll save up $50 for whatever this is, just to be prepared.

-John

I understand. That's why I've never said anything but positive support to Cafeman and his Adventure II. It's sucks when a hobby becomes a chore. I think I would hate to have no responce at all after announcing a project just as much as being harrast about when it is going to be done. I understand about the time and drive. I've been trying to learn 7800 programming for a while but between my little free time, frustration learning to do it, and other projects, it's moving along really slow. I guess there can be a fine line between interest and support verses harrasment and annoyance. My full support goes out to anyone working on a program or any project. In the mean time as we wait for this or that project/program, we can just enjoy all the great stuff that has come out already.

Allan

-John

I totally agree with that... That happens to me when I can't figure something out. I'm actually working on something 7800-related now which I've been kind of 'stuck' on, and because of that I haven't been spending too much time on it. Of course, having projects due at work doesn't help, either. :ponder:

Back on topic, I am very curious on what this new application is (hopefully it's a game)... :)

Bob

I'd like a game too but I wouldn't complain if someone did a graphics development program for the 7800 either.

Something like a 16 by 16 'sprite' editor that would convert the bits and the color in the 7800 format. It's such a pain to convert these.

Allan

I'd like a game too but I wouldn't complain if someone did a graphics development program for the 7800 either.

Something like a 16 by 16 'sprite' editor that would convert the bits and the color in the 7800 format. It's such a pain to convert these.

Allan

I actuallyl had a BASIC program that did the reverse.

Input any BIN file, have it dump the info as all graphics.

See: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~harvey/7800/diag.html

I have a few of the number graphics displayed.

That's what makes it so cool-- cuz you can find all sort of weird gfx in the roms.

But, back in the day I never posted it cuz I hated hacks with a passion (in those days, it seemed that people would go bananas over someone who hacked combat to make the tanks look like little soldiers or something). These days, I think with better homebrews out there (and better hacks), such things aren't really a problem anymore. I was totally concerned over someone trying to turn the scrapyard dog guy into Mario and then trying to sell it.

But, I'm weird with my opinions sometimes. :)

-John

Allan

I actuallyl had a BASIC program that did the reverse.

Input any BIN file, have it dump the info as all graphics.

See: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~harvey/7800/diag.html

I have a few of the number graphics displayed.

That's what makes it so cool-- cuz you can find all sort of weird gfx in the roms.

But, back in the day I never posted it cuz I hated hacks with a passion (in those days, it seemed that people would go bananas over someone who hacked combat to make the tanks look like little soldiers or something). These days, I think with better homebrews out there (and better hacks), such things aren't really a problem anymore. I was totally concerned over someone trying to turn the scrapyard dog guy into Mario and then trying to sell it.

But, I'm weird with my opinions sometimes. :)

-John

So I am assumming you don't have it anymore since you said 'had'. It's to bad it couldn't be reversed. You don't happen to have any notes from or anything?

Allan

Allan

Same here. I have mostly used text files (with numbers and letters to draw the shapes) and a perl script or c programs to convert them to binary.

For modes similiar to the 8-bit computers I usually use font editors for those initially and write something to convert the format as needed.

--Ken

Edited by kenfused

Allan

Same here. I have mostly used text files (with numbers and letters to draw the shapes) and a perl script or c programs to convert them to binary.

For modes similiar to the 8-bit computers I usually use font editors for those initially and write something to convert the format as needed.

--Ken

I wonder what's wrong with the graphics converter I made.

It's not perfect but it does a good job for me.

Is it to hard to understand/use or is the basic approach wrong?

Personally I like the idea to use my preferred image tool instead of using a stripped down painting program.