IGNORED

What's your favorite "Tempest" game?

Rhindle The Red

What's your favorite "Tempest" game?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite "Tempest" game?

• Tempest (Arcade)
    • Tempest "Tubes" (Arcade)
    • Tempest 2000 (Jag, Saturn, PC)
    • Tempest X3 (PlayStation)
    • Tempest 3000 (Nuon)
    • Tempest "remix" (DS)
    • I can't choose one.
    • I never played any of them.
    • I don't like any of them.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've played the arcade (owned one at some point), the Playstation version (own that somewhere), the NUON version (played at CES I think a long time ago), and of course the Jaguar version. Of those, I've had the most fun playing the Jaguar version. The actual arcade game is also great (especially when played on an actual cabinet as opposed to emulation), but doesn't have the variety and the "in your face" action that Tempest 2000 offers. :)

..Al

Tempest 2K is total crack. The fact that you can have rotary controllers made for it also nice.

Never really liked the arcade Tempest. Tempest 3K on the Nuon is beautiful to the point of detracting from gameplay. Tempest 2K is the appex of Tempest.

(Let's put it this way, when I heard of Tempest 2K I was not impressed because I really DON'T like Tempest in the arcade. Tempest 2K is that good. But then classic defender on Defender 2K made we a fan of Defender.. and I don't like Defender all that much either.) :) Minter did some good work in my opinion of taking titles I hated and turning them into titles I was addicted to. :D

Jaguar version all the way :)

Then the arcade, and then the Playstation version, which while not as balanced the other two, does have "more stuff" in terms of music and levels...

I haven't play T3K so I really don't know where that fits...

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. I am looking forward to Space Giraffe :lust:

If it weren't for the arcade original there would be no other versions so I have to go with that one. I did love the Jag version as so many others obviously do. The power-ups were great although I never did understand the "surreal jump thru the hoops bonus stage thing." I picked the original because of the impact it had on me and my fellow gamers in the arcade when it came out. Another quarter muncher. Arcades ,back in the day when Tempest came out, were filled with great original games. Most arcades today lack versatility. Tempest was one game in a long line of games destine to go down in the game players books as a true classic.

Purely for the weighted rotary dial control, I choose the arcade version.

Now if I could control the others the same way (yes I know it's possible.. but it requires effort) that would put them over the edge. The gameplay of Tempest i.e. moving around the periphery of a playfield at any speed you desire, just lends itself to it's intended controller.

Edited by NE146

I'll give the nod to T2000 on the Jag. :) I have the PC version (got it back in the 90's) and while it's OK, ( a real music and graphics treat) it's just too easy. Once you get equipped with one of those "drones" or whatever, you really just have to hold down the rapid fire and rotate around the screen to continually advance. I suspect Tempest on the PSX suffers from this same lack of difficulty, maybe someone who has it can comment?

T3K- Bought a nuon just to play it, and love it- that is my favorite version. So over the top! I like how in the instructions it suggests turning down the background effects to make playing easier :)

Suggests? Hmmm.. might need to look into that.

No apparent solution for rotary on the Nuon though.