IGNORED

Batari BASIC contest results?

Jess Ragan

Back in 2005, a 2600 programming group promised a huge cash payout for the best Batari BASIC game released that year. Since that time, there was an explosion of drama and the group moved to a new web site, only to disappear shortly afterward. Before its mysterious disappearance, did the group ever decide on a winner for this contest? I doubt I had a shot at the prize, since Solar Plexus was about as well-received as herpes, but I'm nevertheless curious to know who would have been awarded that cash. I suspect the blue ribbon would have gone to the guy who created Ooze.

JR

Back in 2005, a 2600 programming group promised a huge cash payout for the best Batari BASIC game released that year. Since that time, there was an explosion of drama and the group moved to a new web site, only to disappear shortly afterward. Before its mysterious disappearance, did the group ever decide on a winner for this contest? I doubt I had a shot at the prize, since Solar Plexus was about as well-received as herpes, but I'm nevertheless curious to know who would have been awarded that cash. I suspect the blue ribbon would have gone to the guy who created Ooze.

JR

The contest was canceled, AFAIK. I wonder if Glenn would be willing to restart it after bB 1.0 is released? (Stay tuned, the next release is coming soon...)

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't cancel the Chimera project!

Whether it gets formally cancelled is up to Delicon. It's at an agonizing "so close yet so far" stage. He managed to make what we had every expectation to believe was to be the release-version of the hardware, but we are still at the bottom of a mountain of firmware development and he has been out of action for over a month. I'm only classifying it on hold to reflect the current situation. I'll gladly resume the project at any time as I still have the resources to manufacture these. The way that's going, we're probably talking a minimum of a year commitment due to the lease agreement on my apartment. My savings have been a target to fund hobby projects while the housing bubble has kept real-estate beyond my reach. But whenever I decide to buy a house, I have to get responsible and dump all my remaining savings into the downpayment. So I'm just crossing my fingers.

Edited by mos6507