IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 42: Dodge 'Em

Ze_ro

Important Note - This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

It's the ultimate game of chicken. You're trying to collect all of the dots on the track, while avoiding the other driver with the mind of a kamikaze pilot. You're out to clear the track, and he's out to crash into you. Quick, speed up and shift lanes, and maybe you can avoid him. But just when you think you've won, you've got another track and this time your opponent is smarter than before. If he gets you three times, you're going to be in the pits. So start your engines for a game of Dodge 'Em! (Thanks LarcenTyler!)

Game Information

• Game Name: Dodge 'Em
  • Released By: Atari, 1980
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, February 22nd at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 1080 (Goochman) [+11]
    1080 (johnnywc) [+11]
    1080 (Shannon) [+11]
    1080 (SpiceWare) [+11]
    1080 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
    1080 (Crazy Climber) [+11]
    1080 (Zoyx) [+11]
    1080 (JacobZu7zu7) [+11]
    1080 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 342 (LarcenTyler) [+10]
  3. 266 (scogey) [+9]
  4. 265 (ewing92) [+8]
  5. 255 (Recycled) [+7]
  6. 238 (MickG) [+6]
  7. 217 (Mindcircus) [+5]
  8. 187 (madbutscher) [+4]
  9. 183 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 176 (jonfin826) [+2]
  11. 80 (Nathan Strum) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Write an exciting intro for this game and get 1 bonus point!
      LarcenTyler [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. No scores listed!

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [433]
  2. SpiceWare [307]
  3. Deteacher [258]
  4. keilbaca [175]
  5. LarcenTyler [153]
  6. vdub_bobby [148]
  7. rheffera [119]
  8. the 5th ghost [87]
  9. scogey [81]
  10. Nathan Strum [80]
  11. BrianC [78]
  12. Goochman [76]
  13. Cybergoth [73]
  14. shadow460 [72]
  15. shawnb [71]
  16. Christophero Sly [70]
  17. atari2600land [70]
  18. JacobZu7zu7 [69]
  19. Malc74 [63]
  20. Recycled [39]
  21. Zoyx [38]
  22. theKLT [37]
  23. SeaGtGruff [36]
  24. 128bytes [34]
  25. johnnywc [32]
  • Jred [26]
  • doctorclu [22]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Captain Beard [20]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • RJ [19]
  • mojofltr [19]
  • Random Terrain [17]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • LS_Dracon [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Biter [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • fire!fire! [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
  • mightymage [1]

Scoring Points in Dodge 'Em

• Steer your race car counterclockwise on the four lane track. Your objective is to score as many points as possible by running over the dots which appear on the lanes of the track. During a game each player receives three turns or heats. each turn or heat ends when your car crashes--three heats, three crashes! When you run over all the dots on the track, you score eight bonus points and another set of dots appears. however, you are allowed only five sets of dots per turn. the number of your remaining turns is displayed at the upper center of the playfield.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy online for your viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, it doesn't really provide any hints.
If done correctly you can use the same pattern for screen 1 and 2. You don't need to but it makes it easier to remember it :)
For those of you having trouble on the 1st level, here's a couple of tips:

The computer car only changes lanes on the top and bottom sections of the track. On the other levels, he can change lanes on the sides. Your advantage is that you can change 2 lanes at a time. If you're having trouble figuring out a pattern, use the ability to change 2 lanes to your advantage.

Know when to lay off the gas. Timing is everything and slowing down can help you in figuring out when to change lanes.

I hold the gas down the entire time on all levels. For the first two screens I use the same pattern and clear the outer 2 tracks, then the inner 2.
Here is my technique for the first level, you have to have the speed booster held down the entire time, make sure you have it pressed down when you start, or else you won't make the last part and then you will crash.

Click here for map

--Ze_ro

hmm - I recall that there's a bug or something in Dodge 'Em that ends the game...

googling...

yep - though maybe not really a bug - it's spelled out in the manual that you get 5 sets of dots per turn, 3 turns.

each player receives three turns or heats. each turn or heat

ends when your car crashes--three heats, three crashes! When you run over all

the dots on the track, you score eight bonus points and another set of dots

appears. however, you are allowed only five sets of dots per turn.

Edited by SpiceWare

wow, i really like this game, this is the first time ive ever played it, it is fun and addicting, i will place my score in about 30 minutes.

Whoa, an hour straight on one atari game? this hasn't happened since i played Asteroids(which was a hell of a lot easier lol)! But Im actually not that bad at this game, so hopefully, with a little more practice, I might be able to get the highest score! Well, unless some crazy guy comes in and blows everybody elses away.

my score: 250!

i know it isnt alot, but i usually suck really bad at Atari games, so i am happy.

I hate the first level with a passion, ya know, you keep dying at level 2, and everytime you die you have to go back to level 1, and that's sounds like "duhh" but the first level is boring, i have a set path i go every single time and going through that path 75 times isn't fun(yes i did play this game for an hour and a half), and ohh! when you accidently mess up and your not fast enough to get through, and you die! ahh man...anyways, i am just really frustrated right now, but i really do love this game, it is now my favorite game on the 2600(only tried about 50 but this one is really good tho).

Edited by ewing92

The reason TG has no scores is because they removed the track saying it was too easy to max. I had maxed the score, along with about 10 others. IIRC, the max score was 1080. This might be wrong, but I don't have time right now to go through my score to find it.

Actually, I did score 80 points!

I figured since everyone else was probably going to max the thing out, I'd just try playing a game where I ended with exactly 80 points. :D

post-2641-1171709483_thumb.jpg

I'm going for this point, baby!

Write an exciting intro for this game and get 1 bonus point!

The year is... the FUTURE! The only entertainment left to stir the hearts of a humanity jaded by thousands of years of war and violence is to pit to combatants against each other in a head-to-head race... to the DEATH!

Little did you know when you bought that lottery ticket at the 7-11, that losing didn't just mean that you were out a buck, but your name was thrown into another, far more sinister, secret lottery, from which are drawn the unwitting and unwilling participants for... DODGE 'EM!

In the ultimate game of "chicken", victims are locked in high-performance machines of death with only two speeds: Fast and FASTER! Plummeting relentlessly down darkened, winding tunnels with no brakes and only quick reflexes at your command, you desperately try to scoop up prize money, as other maniacal, gear-slamming gladiators bear down upon you. How much prize money can you collect? Can you survive to the end of the game to spend it? Why didn't you buy that stick of beef-jerky instead? Experience, if you dare, the thrill-seeking world of... DODGE 'EM!!

:D

Edited by Nathan Strum

I'm going for this point, baby!

Write an exciting intro for this game and get 1 bonus point!

The year is... the FUTURE! The only entertainment left to stir the hearts of a humanity jaded by thousands of years of war and violence is to pit to combatants against each other in a head-to-head race... to the DEATH!

Little did you know when you bought that lottery ticket at the 7-11, that losing didn't just mean that you were out a buck, but your name was thrown into another, far more sinister, secret lottery, from which are drawn the unwitting and unwilling participants for... DODGE 'EM!

In the ultimate game of "chicken", victims are locked in high-performance machines of death with only two speeds: Fast and FASTER! Plummeting relentlessly down darkened, winding tunnels with no brakes and only quick reflexes at your command, you desperately try to scoop up prize money, as other maniacal, gear-slamming gladiators bear down upon you. How much prize money can you collect? Can you survive to the end of the game to spend it? Why didn't you buy that stick of beef-jerky instead? Experience, if you dare, the thrill-seeking world of... DODGE 'EM!!

:D

I survived it a few times and they never paid me. :sad:

Very nice intro! Its style is even "classic 80's". :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edited by D.Yancey

Smokey and the Bandit ride again! This time, Buford T Justice is all tapped out, and he's going to try to ram the Bandit off the road. Cleatis has checked into the motel for the night, so it's up you YOU, Bandit, to grab up all the beer cans you can find to take back to the motel for a night of relaxation.

In his desperation, Justice turns his car around to play a dealy game of chicken with you. You gotta grab those beer cans, and you don't believe in using brakes, so when Justice comes, you'll just have to Dodge 'Em!