IGNORED

Panasonic 3DO

How many of you out there have a 3DO system?

I just found one today at goodwill, it look like new!

What games are good for this system?

Does anyne have an extra controller to spare?

I hooked it up to my tv and a demo type screen came on. So far it looks good to go.

There seems to be alot of games on Ebay cheap, I would like to hear from some of you who own one.

Are the games good? And what would you compare them to (which system...playstation, sega saturn)?

I've got it. I can tell you what I think are all the best games. I may have an extra controller. I would compare it to 16-bit and 32/64-bit systems since it is from the end of one era and the beginning of the next, just like the Jaguar. It has a lot of games that are 2D and look 16-bit just like the Jag, but it also has cool 2D/3D games that look better than 16-bit and as good as games on the other 32/64-bit machines. I personally think it's contemporaries are the Genesis/Segacd/32X, SNES, Jaguar, Saturn and Playstation. The N64 came out after all the others and was a full generation ahead of the early starters like the 3DO and Jaguar, so I don't include it even though many N64 games don't look much better. The 3DO, like the Jaguar, could easily keep up with the first generation and maybe even second generation Playstation and Saturn games. But after that the newer machines really started showing off their polygon power and overcame the older machines (of course the 3DO and Jag weren't even around by then...).

Some of the many good games I can think of off the top of my head:

Captain Quasar

Po'ed

Space Hulk

Star Fighter

Super Wing Commander

Wing Commander III

Blade Force (huge tedious levels though)

Battlesport

The Need For Speed (the original and the best)

Road Rash

Return Fire

Gex

Crash&Burn

Off World Intercepter

Slayer (AD&D) RPG

DeathKeep (AD&D) RPG

Total Eclipse

FIFA soccer

Killing Time

Wolfenstein 3D

Cannon Fodder

Alone in the Dark 1&2

D

Shock Wave 1&2

Well, that's 26, I'll leave it at that for now.

8)

I own 3 - 3DO's

and gunstar gave a great explanation of the system and some great games

here are a few more games

Battlesport kinda plays like Ballblazer for the 7800

Real Pinball

Dragon Lore (3cd's) puzzle RPG

Slam N Jam 95

Night Trap (way better then the sega CD)

Phoenix 3

Psychic Detective (4cd's) a sleuth type game with many many endings

Here are some great 3DO sites for you to learn and read about the various games

http://www.classicgaming.com/3dotoday/frame0.html

http://classicgaming.com/3dotoday/page2.html

http://www.planet3do.tk/

http://www.gamesdomain.com/faqdir/3do.faq

And finally, ENJOY your 3DO it is a unique system and you dont need a converter to play Imports either (there is only a hand full of Imports that wont play on a US 3DO)

Wow Lemmi,

It looks like you have a nice collection of 3DO games. Have you ever watched VCD's on your 3DO?

I was reading a 3DO website and it says you can make backups of your games with a cdburner and the 3DO will play all of the CDR games with no trouble.

This looks like a nice game machine. A question about my 3DO... When I turn it on, watching the demo screen.... where the Asteroids are flying at the screen. Is there supposed to be any sound during the demo?

Im asking because I dont hear anything, no music or anything. Like when you turn on Playstation or other systems there is usually some music or sounds during the demo.

"Gunstar" If you have an extra controller I would like to buy it from you. I also need a game to play, any extras or old games you dont play anymore? It looks like Sega Genesis controllers may work with these systems, do they?

Yup i can play VCD's on my Goldstar 3DO, but not on my FZ-1 or FZ-10 deck yet as the digital video card is hard to get ahold of for those systems

I only have 1 VCD at this time, its Dragon Lord w/ Jacky Chan :D

And yes you can burn almost all the 3DO games and play them on the 3DO, If gunstar has a controller (all mine are paired with my systems and i have 1 extra and its sealed with a game ), i will send you a couple games to play on it, send me your mailing address and i will mail out 2 games on Monday

Controllers on ebay are pretty cheap you could probably get one for $2 to $5 - as for the genesis controllers i havent tried that yet, but my guess is they wont work to well

I dont think there is any sound durning the demo screen, put in a music CD and try that :)

Genesis controller won't work; even thought the 3DO, Genesis, and many older systems have the same 9-pin style jacks, they are wired differently and would need to be hacked or a converter attached (there was one of these for SNES controllers).

As for the asteroids, yes, there is sound, but it's initially shut off, it's only on the unit you have (asteroids), and I used to have it. I have the FZ-10 now, so I don't have it any more. But I remember accidently stumbling across a button on the controller that turned the sound on. As I recall, there's not much to it anyway, just asteroids swooshing by...

There's also a light show similiar to the JaguarCD's VLM, but not as responsive, if you put in a music cd and play it. that's something yu might want to check out while your waiting for games.Kodak photocd's will also work on the FZ-10 for sure, not sure about the others (Goldstar, FZ-1), but remember that yu need kodak's photocd format, slightly older than the more current picturecd or whatever they call it now, but the original is still available at developers if you ask them for it and software that supports it is still out there for use with digital cameras or just downloading stuff off the net and putting it in photcd format.

Genesis controller won't work; even thought the 3DO, Genesis, and many older systems have the same 9-pin style jacks, they are wired differently and would need to be hacked or a converter attached (there was one of these for SNES controllers).  

You mean one of these things :D

http://www.gexpress.com/detailedspecs.cfm?...r=3192568335179

Oh and the link i posted above if you click on the Keyword option you can look for BRAND NEW 3DO games most of them are $7 and go up to $12 - everything on that site is brand new

I ordered from them on the 9th of this month and i am still waiting for them to process my order, probably because i sent in a money order as payment

How the hell do you people continue to find all these systems at Goodwill?  I swear, my f*cking Goodwill only carries crappy NES and Sony games.

Heh well your lucky then, the only things ive ever seen at the Goodwill around here was some very common atari 2600 games and a Aquanis (sp?) i have no clue how to spell it , it was boxed and everything but i just left it there as i am done collection old computers, i have 3 old computers and thats enough

How the hell do you people continue to find all these systems at Goodwill?  I swear, my f*cking Goodwill only carries crappy NES and Sony games.

Just lucky I guess, I know of a few thrif type stores here in Seattle that are constantly recieving systems, accessories, games...... I guess there were alot of people in Seattle who played alot of games on all of our rainy days.

Right now there is a Nintendo Virtual Boy selling for $12.00 but it is missing some parts and the stand is broken. Its not worth it but that was the first time I have seen one in the wild, same for the 3DO that was a score! From a distance I thought it was an XBOX it looks similar from 15 feet away.

"Gunstar" Do you have an extra controller??

Yes, I have two controllers to choose from. Both work fine, they are both after market controllers. One is made by Logitech (famous for PC mice and stuff) and the other is made by Interact. The logitech is three button just like the originals, but shaped differently and the buttons are really small, but it fits in the hands nicely. The Interact controller has 4 buttons and is styled more like a SNES controller, the forth button is just the "x" button again from the middle [stop]"x" and [pause/play] "p" buttons. it has rapid fire options for all the buttons as well as adustable levels of rapid fire. Now this may be important; The Logitech has a port for daisy-chaining controllers together and the interact DOES NOT. So, with the Interact it can either be the first and only controller, or the very last in line, that's it. Both are in like-new shape. Make me an offer for one or both, I'd prefer a trade over cash, but e-mail me or send me a private message through AtariAge. (3DO/Jaguar/Lynx/PSX/DC/7800/5200/2600/Genesis/8-bit atari computer)

• 5 months later...
Great thread.  Bumping it so it rises to the top.   :D   Thanks all -- yes, even you, Gunstar.   :D

Your welcome. I hold no grudges and all I've said toward you has been in good fun as far as I'm concerned, if you hold a grudge against me because we like different things or don't like different things, that's your problem. I was never trying to patronize you, until you said I was, which just got me going...none of it was meant seriously, but your obviously easy to poke fun at and get upset easily. Chill. :D But I'd rather play a "primitive 3D game" anyday in a 3D "virtual world" over the sharpest looking 2D game anyday! :P So stick that where the sun don't shine! :D