IGNORED

NES Fix

First and foremost, this is my 250th post, and now i am a rank higher!!! Moonsweeper!!!!

Okay, now getting down to business, i can't play my nes, the blinking screen problem, and i havent been able to play it for a while now, and tonight, i want to do an alnight gaming session and i really want to play my nes, now i searched it, and found this....

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...ssage.id=220337

....but i wasn't sure that it was recommended. Is this safe? Will it fix everything good? It will be awesome that i could play PAL games on my NES, and don't have to get an adaptor and a new nes.

I just wanted your guy's insight on this, as i didn't want to do anything drastic because this is my mom's nes that she got around when it came out, brand new, and it is special.

anybody have any good place that gives a walkthrough on how to take apart a nes? So basically just snip the 4th pin with a pair of needle nose pliers?

Edited by ewing92

Take the bottom six screws and remove the top. Then remove the top rf shield. Some of the bolts go through the cartridge bay into the base, remove those.

Lift the board up and remove the two controller wires with needlenose.

(put a twisty on port one so you dont have reversed ports later.) Some idiot I know did that and still hasn't fixed it :ponder: and remove the main wire harness.

Flip it over and remove the bottom rf shield. There where small revisions to the board so you may have to push

a capacitor down a bit. I used nail clippers to cut the pin.

If you ever have need of that lockout chip again, it's the same as the one found in the Nintendo made carts. I damaged my lockout chip (just like the one in the pic) when I did that, and later I desoldered the one from a Baseball board, but I have not installed it yet.

If you ever do need the chip replaced, I'd install a switch on Pin 4 so that you can activate the chip for the NWC, and deactivate it when you get sick of the blinking.

I used alcohol and q-tips for a long time but I think I found something a little less time consuming. After opening the carts, I've been using small pieces of scotch-brite pads to polish the contacts followed by a quick alcohol wipe down and quick blast of air. I've also been using a couple-o-different types of deck cleaners wet and dry on the deck. I sell quite a few of these systems and games and this method has been working great for me. Input?

i dont know how to ground it, but i cut it, and it works fine now, still takes a little while to get working though, but hey, its alot better than the blinking screen, so i might end up getting a new connector, just so there is less frustration.

Why, what could be a bad effect of cutting the pin? why would i need to replace it? thanks