IGNORED

NES High Score Club Week #26 - Double Dragon

vdub_bobby

Put away your swords, but don't put away your fists! It's time for Double Dragon!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it.

Note: Play Game A! And only scores achieved by playing a new game, from the beginning, will count - no continues!

Special note: There are a few glitches in the game that are outlined at TwinGalaxies (follow link below). Do not use them for higher scores! And no leeching; keep moving forward (don't go in an out of caves to keep beating the same enemies).

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (March 6) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

90,000 8th lutz (+10 pts)

88,100 rjchamp3 (+8 pts)

44,240 vdub_bobby (+6 pts)

40,340 gdement (+4 pts)

37,110 Cybergoth (+2 pts)

34,200 LarcenTyler (+1 pt + 1 pt for best tip)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

302,530 Scott Kessler

97,230 Rudy J Ferretti :ponder:

91,200 Chris DeMichael

75,160 Mr. Kelly R Flewin

70,260 Nik Meeks

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (140 pts)

2. vdub_bobby (114 pts)

3. LarcenTyler (75 pts)

4. 8th lutz (59 pts)

5. figgler (54 pts)

6. galaxy warrior (53 pts)

7. Cybergoth (49 pts)

8. MetalSlime23 (46 pts)

9. gdement (42 pts)

10. mojofltr (40 pts)

11. bust3dstr8 (36 pts)

12. nester (29 pts)

13. Slayer (18 pts)

14. Malc74 (13 pts)

15. HeckYesIDid (11 pts)

16. shadow460 (8 pts)

17. RJ (5 pts)

18. keilbaca (4 pts)

18. mightymage (4 pts)

20. MCHufnagel (2 pts)

20. remowilliams (2 pts)

20. Kami68k (2 pts)

20. ewing92 (2 pts)

24. BrianC (1 pts)

24. NightSprinter (1 pts)

Game Info

Originally released in 1987 by Taito (developed by Technos) for the arcades, ported by Technos Japan Corp. to the NES in 1988.

Other platforms: Amiga, Amstrad CPC, 2600, 7800 Atari ST, C64, DOS, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Genesis, Lynx, MSX, Sega Master System, ZX Spectrum

Sequels/spinoffs: Double Dragon II - The Revenge (Arcade, 1988, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, C64, Gameboy, Genesis, MSX, NES, ZX Spectrum, 1989), Double Dragon 3 - The Rosetta Stone (Arcade, 1990), Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, Game Boy, Genesis, NES, ZX Spectrum, 1991), Super Double Dragon (SNES, 1992), Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (Gameboy, Genesis, NES, SNES, 1993), Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls (Genesis, Jaguar, SNES, 1994), Double Dragon (Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, PlayStation, 1995)

Tips

LarcenTyler:

-Punches give you more experience than kicks, so untill you earn one or two hearts, you should generally punch your enemies, unless they're a bit farther away or too dangerous to get too close to. Remember that using thrown weapons doesn't earn you experience, but melee weapons like the bat and the whip do.

-Chintai and Abobo are a pair of tough customers. With Chintai, don't get too close to them as they can easily put you down faster than you can say 'ouch!' The best thing to do is jump-kick them a few times and then wear them down with kicks. Don't try to sit on them when they're down and punch their face unless they're weak, otherwise, they'll throw you off.

For Abobo, don't try to punch him or you risk getting badly hurt. It's best to use jump kicks on him, but if you haven't earned the jump kick yet, then just regular kicks. Note that using the conveyor belt to take out the first Abobo is an easy way of defeating him, but you won't earn any experience for it.

-In areas where it's easy to fall to your death (namely areas 2 and 3,) stay as far from the edges as you can when fighting.

There is a tool-assisted speedrun of the game, you can pick up some tips by watching that.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Here are my personal tips:

-Punches give you more experience than kicks, so untill you earn one or two hearts, you should generally punch your enemies, unless they're a bit farther away or too dangerous to get too close to. Remember that using thrown weapons doesn't earn you experience, but melee weapons like the bat and the whip do.

-Chintai and Abobo are a pair of tough customers. With Chintai, don't get too close to them as they can easily put you down faster than you can say 'ouch!' The best thing to do is jump-kick them a few times and then wear them down with kicks. Don't try to sit on them when they're down and punch their face unless they're weak, otherwise, they'll throw you off.

For Abobo, don't try to punch him or you risk getting badly hurt. It's best to use jump kicks on him, but if you haven't earned the jump kick yet, then just regular kicks. Note that using the conveyor belt to take out the first Abobo is an easy way of defeating him, but you won't earn any experience for it.

-In areas where it's easy to fall to your death (namely areas 2 and 3,) stay as far from the edges as you can when fighting.

post-5182-1173161507_thumb.png

Took me a few tries to get here. It's funny how much I've forgotten about this game. I instinctively felt like I was doing something wrong when I walked past the caves in level 3, but I figured I had to go where the screen scrolls. I totally forgot how it wraps if you don't go in. My next game I got that part right, but had trouble with all the timing stuff in level 4. I guess it's been a long time.