IGNORED

So i have an Apple Classic II, and now its dead.... yay -_-

AtariJr

Wondering if there are any games i can run on this cute lil' box of mine. are these something i can dload from the net and put it on there like i did for my tandy, or am i going to have to look on ebay for the original games? thanks.

i really wise i could run that old ski game with the little creature who eats you at the end, but i dont know where to get it, what its called, or if i can actually run it on this. i know that my old old old (shit.. like 11 years ago old) science class' teacher had a bunch of these macs runing those types of games, and even a barometer program that detected temperature and stuff, but i dont know how to run that.

Edited by AtariJr

i really wise i could run that old ski game with the little creature who eats you at the end, but i dont know where to get it, what its called, or if i can actually run it on this.

Sounds like Free Ski. That was a Windows game.

Tempest

yes yes, a mac classic II.. thanks remo lemme check the link.

and actually tempest, he had that ski game running on one of the old color apples with a seperate monitor. probably a performa or something or a mac II (not classic II a mac II))

If you mean a Mac Classic II then sure. Check out the Mac Garden ;)

lol - looking there I see that the Classic II got the 'Road Apple' award. :P

hmm so wait, so all these games run on the classic II? i see some say os 8.X... i think im running on 7....

how do i tell if these are classic II compatible or not?

hmm so wait, so all these games run on the classic II? i see some say os 8.X... i think im running on 7....

Well, you can basically run whatever is compatible with your OS version, or stuff that requires an earlier version (usually). So you need to check the individual program's requirements as far as OS, CPU power and memory required.

As far as your OS, it's been a while but I think that the 68x Macs will run up to System 8.1, but that won't be pleasant at all on your machine. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and correct me if I'm wrong. Or point out some .0001% nitpick.

Edited by remowilliams

Well, you can basically run whatever is compatible with your OS version, or stuff that requires an earlier version (usually). So you need to check the individual program's requirements as far as OS, CPU power and memory required.

As far as your OS, it's been a while but I think that the 68x Macs will run up to System 8.1, but that won't be pleasant at all on your machine. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and correct me if I'm wrong. Or point out some .0001% nitpick.

haha ok, ill try these in a bit. right now i have like 8 million things going at once. i have the classic im doing here, a Plus im moding the case for, an SE that im upgrading, along with trying to tinker with moding a wii for imports (dont ask my roomate gutted his trying to see how it ticks so he can do some sort of usb attachment.. im lost personally but i relaly hope it works), a genesis is under the hood right now, and we're fixing my roomates snes. sigh.. but its fun ^.^..... oh crap, homework..

Edited by AtariJr

Mac OS 7.5x will be the best OS for that computer. OS 7.6 is way too buggy. I believe an Apple IIe PDS card will work with that computer, just make sure you get the software and y-adapter cable. With that, your little Mac will be like a little Apple II computer.

What is a PDS card? and how do i get this adapter and software? thanks. ill have to check what version of 7x i have , if i have the wrong one im assuming now i can find an old free copy of 7.5 on the net right?

What is a PDS card? and how do i get this adapter and software? thanks. ill have to check what version of 7x i have , if i have the wrong one im assuming now i can find an old free copy of 7.5 on the net right?

PDS stands for Processor Direct Slot. The Apple IIe compatibility card is an LC PDS card that contains an entire Apple II on a chip. I've got one and it's really cool! :cool:

Now for the bad news - I don't think the Classic II has any expansion slots, let alone a PDS slot.

no, it says right on Low End Mac, no expantion slot. So no apple ii card... but how about this, get an apple //c, and the matching 9inch monitor... now, duct tape the //c to the bottom of the classic, and duct tape the monitor to the top. There you have it, your Mac and //e in one, and guess what! you have more screen realistate that way! rkbiggrin.gif

Anyway... there are some fun games that work on that Mac Classic.

...Also, maybe you should check out this page I found.

http://www.d4.dion.ne.jp/~motohiko/game.htm

I HIGHLY recommend Shuffle Puck Cafe. rksmile.gif

Hrmm.... looking it over.... I think I need to download some games for my Old Macs... thought that site doesn't appear to have any actual downloads.... talk about suck. Though you can probably find most of those games on The Mac Garden... though there are a lot of broken links on Mac Garden.... they've been having problems for a while now.

Edited by SuperPsycho

thanks for the link, this gives me a better idea of what i should look for to dload.

anyone know if you can even find mac programs.. like the real disks on ebay still? i dont think ive ever seen old mac games in a game store.

The list looks great, I've been wanting to get some games for my Classic and SE Macs for a while now and this might kick start that little project.

Is there any way of getting programs off a PC and onto a Mac, or do I need to somehow get a browser on the Macs and download straight onto them?

Is there any way of getting programs off a PC and onto a Mac, or do I need to somehow get a browser on the Macs and download straight onto them?

There's a whole lot of complicated answers to that question.

Depends on your Macs and their capabilities. The easiest thing to transfer is always archived or binhex files (to avoid the whole resource/data fork mess). If you have Macs that can read 1.44MB floppies (and you're transferring small stuff) take a look at HFVExplorer. It's very easy ;) Serial modem transfers are also a good easy path if possible.

Other than that there's a host of ways depending on your Macs. Using a Mac with a NIC and Appletalk, and a product like PCMaclan is one of my personal favorites. :cool:

There's a whole lot of complicated answers to that question.

Depends on your Macs and their capabilities. The easiest thing to transfer is always archived or binhex files (to avoid the whole resource/data fork mess). If you have Macs that can read 1.44MB floppies (and you're transferring small stuff) take a look at HFVExplorer. It's very easy ;) Serial modem transfers are also a good easy path if possible.

Other than that there's a host of ways depending on your Macs. Using a Mac with a NIC and Appletalk, and a product like PCMaclan is one of my personal favorites. :cool:

I have a Mac Classic, a SE and a Color, all really early Macs, I don't think they will read a 1.44MB floppy but I might give it a try. Only one of the units has a HDD.

I guess what would be ideal for me is to download from the web onto a PC, save to disk and then read the disk in the Mac, or using a null modem transfer.

I'll have to do some more research once I've finished cleaning up 5 Apple II's I have for sale.

If you have a Mac with a SCSI port, you can buy a SCSI to ethernet adaptor for it. From there it's all software related.... and I havn't actually tried to use my adaptor yet as I don't have any of my compact macs set up other than my 512Ke.. And that model doesn't have SCSI....

[rant]maybe once I find a TV repair shop that wont shit bricks when I ask them if they could fix the bad solder joints on the analog board of my otherwise minty clean Mac Plus. I get so tired of these jerk off repair techs who aren't even willing to quote me a price. I know it's going to cost more than most people would value the thing at, I don't GIVE A SHIT about that... just quote me a price damnit.[/rant]

Well, the Classic II can read and write PC HD floppies... sortof... you need PC commander on the mac... there is a file out there that will write a mac disk with pc commander and stuffit expander on it. Stuffit is the compression format for macs, and almost all programs out there are in .sit files. You can then load that disk on your mac: http://www.macgeek.org/downloads/PC_Mac.zip

The problem is that Stuffit changed their format in later releases, and it's not backwards compatible, so you have to get Alladin Expander for the PC, make sure that it expands all files in macintosh format (which will be macbin files), Zip up the .MacBin files that are created into a zip file, transfer those files to a floppy, load the floppy onto the mac (have to zip them 'cos PC commander doens't recognize long filenames and the Mac won't recognize the files), unzip the files on the mac (using the DropStuff extensions or a Mac compatible zip program that you can hopefully unstuff and install on the mac), then unstuff the MacBin files (which are portable mac format files) with the old stuffit expander... then... possibly... you've got something you can run!

More info here: http://www.jagshouse.com/stuffit.html

It's a major pain in the arse! If you can get the mac networked, that would help a lot! I've done this for a Mac Classic I and it took days to get anything running... So, you have to decide whether or not it's worth it.

Another good site with lots of tips and tricks: http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egamba2/

Thanks,

Mike

Oh, I forgot to mention that the long complicated procedure for transferring files only applies to programs "stuffed" with a recent (post 1999) version of stuffit. Some programs out there are stuffed with the old version, in which case the transfer is easy.

Some places to go for games and software:

Macintosh garden: http://mac.the-underdogs.info/

System 6 heaven: http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/compatible.html

Thanks,

Mike

shes fried... dead.. gone.

:sad:

you know.. this is just not my week.. its really sucked. my mac dies, i bid on an auction on ebay that i just want to get out of and my freakin car just got a check engine light ughhhhhh!

Edited by AtariJr

i dont know what happened.. i turned it on and it started up for like a milisecond, then it just didnt do anything... i flickered the switch, moved it to a different outlet (yes it was on a surge protector with other electronics that are perfectly fine) but to no use. i dont get it.

i dont get it.. i cant make it even make an attempt at starting up anymore..im really ticked cuase i like just got this damn thing and its gone already. finding these things is a bitch.. it was pure LUCK that i found this one.

i dont have the deepest pockets in the world. i got this one for 30 plus shipping (around 30) , i cant pay much more than that, and most that are on ebay reach around 40-60 bucks.. and never are buy it now, and the luck of winning a bid on those is like winning the lottery if you dont have a bazillion dollars to offer.

looks like my saturn will get more play time in the next coming weeks haha.. i guess i can put to use the new games i got recently.

Edited by AtariJr

The 3.6V lithium battery might be dead. I think that can stall the boot process without returning an error chime.

I'm surprised to hear that you've had a difficult time finding an old Mac. I always see them in the thrift stores. Pretty much everything else has dried up in the thrifts, but I always see old Macintoshes.

lucky you , there are hardly ANY around here. best i can find are the old performas at best. old macs are strickly ebay around here as thast basically the only choice i got left.

ill change the lithium battery when i get the chance. i didnt know that i needed to have a working one to boot.. we'll see if changing that helps, ill cross my fingers.

oh and btw, my week is looking up, the check engine light went off... now if only i could get someone to bid over me on the auction on ebay hahaha

Edited by AtariJr