IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

Would like to know if the ZiMAG version (Cosmic Corridor) was a hack of the Home Vision, the Bit Corp or the Puzzy version, btw.

8)

I'll take a look with a comparision disassembly. The key in this one will be the garbage data.

Yes, and I'd be curious to know if Decathalon is FE bankswitching, and Space Shuttle too... Seems likes there are a few HES carts that need dumping as well.

Decathlon is FE and there are two versions of Space Shuttle, one FE and one F8.

Yep. It's the Secam verisions that haven't been dumped that I'm wondering about.

The Gravitar rom is an 100% match to:

Gravitar (04-12-1983) (Atari, Dan Hitchens) (CX2685) (Prototype).bin

The RealSports Football is an 100% match to:

RealSports Football (Football II) (1982) (Atari, Alan J. Murphy, Robert Zdybel) (CX2668) (Prototype).bin

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a brand new rom!

Then these two must be 100% identical:

Sorcerer\'s Apprentice (1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26109) (Prototype).bin

Sorcerer\'s Apprentice (1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26109) (Prototype) a.bin

Omega, is this correct?

If so, why exactly would David's version be a brand new ROM?

BTW: David's version is the [a] version.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Sorcerer\'s Apprentice (1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26109) (Prototype).bin

Sorcerer\'s Apprentice (1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday, Robert Vieira) (CX26109) (Prototype) a.bin

Omega, is this correct?

8)

They are in fact different ;)

I think I had David's Sorcerer's Apprentice prototype in the collection I posted. I know I reviewed it:

http://www.atariprot...rcererproto.htm

Tempest

Yes, it was called "Sorcerer's Apprentice (David Winter)".

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

They are in fact different ;)

Really? Then where the heck did the SA rom I have come from? I could have sworn that was the one David sent me a few years ago (I had it marked as coming from him). Weird!

Tempest

I guess they did not see it (as it was not included in ROM's collection), but yes, the "Sorcerer's Apprentice (David Winter)" in your ROM package is the same as the 'new' ROM.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Omega, is this correct?

8)

Hey, that [a] versision is the same as David's rom! However, the [a] verision is not included the V5 collection of the roms. I thought all of the protos were put in there. The other rom is different.

Edited by Omegamatrix

Please don't get me wrong.

I already added David's ROM to my V6 collection and renamed it with an [a]

The other proto was in the V5 collection.

What I would like to know if the [a] version is 100% identical to the other version.

In other words: are there any differences between the two ROMs I posted above?

Wicky says: yes, there are.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

That's what I wanted to know.

Ok, then:

- Either David gave Tempest a different SA ROM.

- Or Tempest mad a mistake by thinking it was David's ROM.

8)

Rom, Wickey is absolutely correct about the roms being different. My post was a little unclear, but that is what I meant too.

Looking at the 2600 posted Tempest posted way back, it is clear that David's SA rom is in there. However the other SA rom is not. Tempest has never seen it, so it must have come into your collection from somewhere else.

Rom, you might want to also double check the collection since David's rom got missed as there might be other protos that got missed also.

So the proto I added to my collection back then wasn't from Tempest and I forgot to add Tempest's version back then?

Hmmm.

I'm certain I added every single ROM from Tempest not already in my collection.

I remember spending an awful lot of time in doing that.

Anyway: two different proto's.

8)

Weird.

Something else:

Omega, do you know if this ROM

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=12099

truly belongs to the NTSC version of K-Tel Vision's Vulture Attack?

It's the only K-Tel Vision game without Funvision logo on screen, which seems strange to me.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-TYPE_CODE-G-EDITEUR_ID-2053-SUPPORT_ID--TRI-SOFT_LIB-Page-1-SENS-ASC-TRI-SOFT_LIB-VISU-SCREEN.html

Also, David's Jungle Hunt and Alpha Beam with Ernie still need to be posted and studied.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Weird.

Something else:

Omega, do you know if this ROM

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=12099

truly belongs to the NTSC version of K-Tel Vision's Vulture Attack?

It's the only K-Tel Vision game without Funvision logo on screen, which seems strange to me.

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-TYPE_CODE-G-EDITEUR_ID-2053-SUPPORT_ID--TRI-SOFT_LIB-Page-1-SENS-ASC-TRI-SOFT_LIB-VISU-SCREEN.html

Also, David's Jungle Hunt and Alpha Beam with Ernie still need to be posted and studied.

8)

I've gathered a couple of posts I did in the past:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103737-2600-rom-comparisions-and-dumps/page__view__findpost__p__1437104

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117919-have-any-of-you-seen-this-before-interesting-vulture-attack-label/page__view__findpost__p__1424782

I know I've dumped Vulture Attack before, but I'm far away from my Atari collection at the moment. David's roms will certainly be added and checked, just really busy right now. :(

• 1 month later...

8)

I had a little bit of time over the weekend to go through Alpha Beam. The differences are in some colors, and length of some events.:

Colors:

- The color in the title screen text "Alpha Beam", "© Atari 1983", and "© CCW 1983" is slightly brighter in the proto.

- The color for Earth and Saturn are slightly darker in the proto.

- The color of Ernies pants are green in the proto, and blue in the released version

- The color for the transport beam is brighter in the proto. Also both the top and bottom beams share the same values (albeit from different tables) in the proto. In the released version the top and bottom beam use different values.

Time:

- In a timed event (i.e. game variation #9), if you only make it part way back to Earth, the screen where you see a planet lasts a little bit longer in the proto.

- The amount of time after the music stops, while Ernie is still waving, lasts longer in the proto.

- The time to a checkpoint to cut the volume comes sooner. This happens after collecting no fuel in a timed event, or making it only part of the way back in a timed event.

Alpha Beam With Ernie (PAL proto).zip

No time for Jungle Hunt or Cosmic War yet. Probably not soon either.

• Like 2