IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered something rather interesting today while testing my 2600 cartridge dumper (which can now dump 4 F8 games per SaveKey thanks to Thomas!). My Pole Position cart (which is not a prototype) contains the same exact ROM as the 5/22/83 (142) prototype. Rom, you may want to rename the current '~' version as the alternate, and the 5/22/83 prototype as the original. The ROM of my cart is attached.

Pole Position.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

I don't have time to look at it right now (just writing my finals!). I will say the source for Pole Position is floating around, so a look in there will help determine what is going on.

Oh yes, I forgot Curt had posted that. Is there some assembler for the ST computers that I could assemble it with rather than converting it to assemble with DASM?

Also, good luck with your finals! :) (I assume you are the teacher giving them?)

I don't have time to look at it right now (just writing my finals!). I will say the source for Pole Position is floating around, so a look in there will help determine what is going on.

Oh yes, I forgot Curt had posted that. Is there some assembler for the ST computers that I could assemble it with rather than converting it to assemble with DASM?

Also, good luck with your finals! :) (I assume you are the teacher giving them?)

Nope, just an adult going back to school to better himself.:)

I started converting Pole Position to assemble before, but didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's right. No time at the moment to try again. If you can find an assembler, then have a go at it.

Jeff

• Like 2

To Rom Hunter: According to this thread in the 2600 HSC, the oldest known proto of Dumbo's Flying Circus is flagged as the Original in collection v5. The most complete version is actually Dumbo's Flying Circus (07-11-1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday) (CX26115) (Prototype) (PAL) - I suggest moving the tilde to this one for the next release of the collection.

ETA: Things keep getting stranger... the version marked Original is NTSC, while the later protos are PAL. (AtariAge has it listed as an NTSC release though the final proto has 286 scanlines). Thoughts?

Edited by Hornpipe2

To Rom Hunter: According to this thread in the 2600 HSC, the oldest known proto of Dumbo's Flying Circus is flagged as the Original in collection v5. The most complete version is actually Dumbo's Flying Circus (07-11-1983) (Atari, Jerome Domurat, Peter C. Niday) (CX26115) (Prototype) (PAL) - I suggest moving the tilde to this one for the next release of the collection.

ETA: Things keep getting stranger... the version marked Original is NTSC, while the later protos are PAL. (AtariAge has it listed as an NTSC release though the final proto has 286 scanlines). Thoughts?

There is a more complete PAL version than the 7/11/83 version. My Dumbo prototype runs at a steady 312 scan lines all the time (Dino also has a copy of this one IIRC). ROM is attached (unfortunately, there is no date on the cart).

Dumbo\'s Flying Circus (PAL).bin

Is there any difference between the 'final' PAL version and the 'final' NTSC version other than some scanlines? Any added features?

Tempest

The 'final' PAL version is only 2 bytes different from 7/11/83, which control how long the vertical blank and over scan are (no other differences). I assume you already know this, but there are two more complete NTSC versions that have been discovered (5/16/83 and 5/27/83) but have not been released.

Is there any difference between the 'final' PAL version and the 'final' NTSC version other than some scanlines? Any added features?

Tempest

That would require disassembly to find out.

Off hand I think it was you Tempest, that pointed out Atari often made the NTSC version of a game first, and then converted it to PAL.

The NTSC version is very complete IMO, and finished a few months before any of the PAL versions, so I would consider it the original too. It just never got released.

AtariAge's database doesn't get overhauled a lot. Al's just too busy. At the time the Dumbo rom was added I believe it was the only one publicly available. That's why it is still listed there as the original, even though the NTSC rom in Rom's collection is a better candidate.

As far as PAL completeness is concerned, Wickey's rom is the most complete as all the scanlines are stable. It also matches Dino's dump 100%, which is a good thing to see as it verifies both roms. I believe Dino's rom also didn't have a date, but it and Wickey's are certainly the newest.

Since Dumbo's Flying Circus is a US release, I consider the NTSC version as the original one.

AFAIK the undated ROM from Dino is 100% identical to the undated PAL ROM in the V5 collection.

8)

How many ROMs of Beany Bopper are out there? A couple of us have gotten different results when rolling the score. It might just be because we're playing on different consoles, though. The other person was on a 2600 Jr, and I was on a 7800.

Here's some glue. Can we make this thread sticky? :)