IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

The third is exactly like the first, except all unused bytes in the ROM have been changed from 00 to FF (in other words, probably was read from an EPROM as it is faster to program FF than 00 for unused bytes).

You are right. That is all that is different.

Crystal_Castles_Comparisons.zip

If it is a proto then it is the finished version. It could have been read with an eprom burner as a lot of protos (that I have seen photos of) are socketed eproms. So someone could have dumped it that way.

Then again it might my dumper is just leaving $00 in that space as it is for ram? Eckhard would know. Maybe the roms are one and the same depending on how you dump them. They seem to be functionally the same.

Stella.pro says it's a verified [!] NTSC prototype ROM.

Must be a final release proto.

Crystal Castles [a] removed.

What shall I do with the Donkey Kongs, Space Tunnel and Night Stalker?

Do they work on real hardware?

Also, there's a 4K Ghost Manor.

What's up with that one?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Stella.pro says it's a verified [!] NTSC prototype ROM.

Must be a final release proto.

Crystal Castles [a] removed.

What shall I do with the Donkey Kongs, Space Tunnel and Night Stalker?

Do they work on real hardware?

Also, there's a 4K Ghost Manor.

What's up with that one?

8)

Bad Dumps (don't work on real hardware):

Donkey Kong (1982) (CBS Electronics, Dan Kitchen, Garry Kitchen) (4L1700, 4L1701, 4L1702, 4L1802, 4L2274) (PAL).bin

Night Stalker (AKA Dark Cavern) (1989) (Telegames) (PAL) [a].bin

Space Tunnel - Weltraum-Tunnel (1982) (Bit Corporation) (PG202) (PAL) [a].bin

The Donkey Kong [a2] has a strange halo following Mario around. This is on real hardware too. It doesn't crash, but should be taken a closer look at.

Donkey Kong [a1] works fine on real hardware and emulation.

I'm going to keep a copy of that broken Space Tunnel rom. My favorite. It's just so bad. :lol:

I'll take a look at Ghost Manor. It's better if you post the roms so we don't mix them up though.

The Donkey Kong [a2] has a strange halo following Mario around. This is on real hardware too. It doesn't crash, but should be taken a closer look at.
It's not good.

The ladders are broken and you die in the second level without any reason.

Looks like some nerd's hack attempt to me.

Bad Donkey Kongs, Space Tunnel and Night Stalker removed from my collection.

Well, that cleans it up nicely.

Please check that Ghost Manor for me.

I'll try to remember other faulty ROMs.

Yes, of course the infamous second level Bi! Bi! bug, but that's originally there.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

It's not good.

The ladders are broken and you die in the sceond level.

Looks like some nerd's hack attempt to me.

8)

Nope, not a hack job. Looks like bit rot or a bad dump. There is only one byte that is different:

file 1: Donkey Kong (1982) (CBS Electronics, Dan Kitchen, Garry Kitchen) (4L1700,  4L1701, 4L1702, 4L1802, 4L2274) (PAL) [a1].bin
file 2: Donkey Kong (1982) (CBS Electronics, Dan Kitchen, Garry Kitchen) (4L1700,  4L1701, 4L1702, 4L1802, 4L2274) (PAL) [a2].bin
0FF9	02	FF

The Ghost Manor is just a split of the 8k rom. Whoever did it must have fired it up in the emulator and said "great it works! It must be 4k:. Unfortunately the game resets on real hardware likes it does in emulation. You never make it to the next screen as half the rom is missing. Another underdump.

The Ghost Manor is just a split of the 8k rom. Whoever did it must have fired it up in the emulator and said "great it works! It must be 4k:. Unfortunately the game resets on real hardware likes it does in emulation. You never make it to the next screen as half the rom is missing. Another underdump.
Weird.

It almost looks like a preview.

8)

Yes, I used it to update my V3 collection.

However, I will leave the overdumps in.

You can simply look for (4K), (8K) and (16K) and pick them out if you want (mind the prototypes though).

Ghost Manor (4K) removed.

I don't think there are any underdumps left now.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Yes, I used it to update my V3 collection.

However, I will leave the overdumps in.

I have to respectfully disagree with this position - overdumps are the result of a problem with the cart reader, and have nothing really to do with the ROM itself. So they have no real historical significance, and only clutter up the collection.

As far as Crystal Castles: After thinking about it I think this may be the "Crystal Castle COZ5010" proto listed on AtariProtos - probably the final version of the NTSC before it went to production.

Edited by Hornpipe2

What about this one?

2_in_1___Frostbite__River_Raid__Unknown_.bin

Does it work on real hardware?

8)

Yes and no. Can I be any more vague? It didn't work loaded up as a 8K. I split the rom and half and compared it to the River Raid rom and Frostbite rom that are out there. They matched 100% and worked on real hardware of course.

This looks like it was meant for a dip switched cart. No way it will ever work in emulation or in a Krok. I mean you can't switch between games at all. You have override the emulator as it wants to use 8k bankswitching. When you split it is exactly the same as roms that are out there so would you keep it? It's useless unless you built a cart with a physical switch on it, and the rom image is nothing unique. Just two normal roms stuck together.

Edited by Omegamatrix

This Combat has Space War stuck in its other 2k half. I compared both halves and again zero differences to existing roms. You can never get into Space War though. For that you would need a physical dip switch, like on those Dactar carts.

post-7074-1208824402_thumb.jpg

Those switches will allow you to change roms.

Edited by Omegamatrix

I think I have looked at this Indy 500, Slot Machine, Surround, Video Life all before Rom. Here's where I compared this Indy 500 in a thread before:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1471934

Nukey could explain Rocky and Bullwinkle a lot better since he does all those Supercharger conversions.

Video Life has extra ram so any data you could get a lot of different dumps of it depending what is in the ram at the time. When you split off the ram you get a 100% match to the 2k rom.

That Pac-man is a hack, no? I'll look at some of these in more detail over the next few days.

Edited by Omegamatrix

Ok, removed the Combat / Space War ROM and the Frostbite / River Raid ROM.

That 8K Pac-Man seems like a hack indeed.

It has black background and the ROM is dated 2004.

I moved it to my Hacks & Homebrews collection.

Omega Race and Stargate do not seem to work.

Bad dumps?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Hornpipe,

What exactly is wrong with that Stargate and Omega Race in post #161?

8)

Near as I can tell that Omega Race was supposed to be 12k, as the last 4k is mostly just 0xEA:

0000000 eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea

0000200 01a9 fa8d ea1f eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea

0000210 eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea

0000ff0 eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea eaea 1200 eaea

Is this maybe an attempt at reading 16k from a 12k ROM and not factoring in proper CBS bankswitching? I don't know much about CBS carts... In any case the first 12k of this is identical to Omega Race (Booster Grip) (1983) (CBS Electronics) (4L 2737 0000).bin. I call overdump.