IGNORED

NES High Score Club 2nd Season Week #3 - A Nightmare on Elm Street

vdub_bobby

You may have defeated the Black Shadow Warriors, but now it's time to face true evil! Yes, it's time for A Nightmare on Elm Street!

Post a score and let's get this thing rolling!

Please post any tips you may have - best tip gets 1 bonus point!

And if anyone has a link to the manual, please post it. I actually found it myself :lol: Text version of the manual.

Note: Only scores achieved by playing a new game, from the beginning, will count - no continues!

No leeching! Don't walk back and forth for the purpose of killing the same enemies over and over again. :)

This week's competition ends next Tuesday (March 27) morning at approximately 8:00 am PST.

This week's standings:

632,950 rjchamp3 (+10 pts)

257,525 LarcenTyler (+8 pts +1 pt for best tip)

122,550 vdub_bobby (+6 pts)

6,000 MetalSlime23 (+4 pts)

Twin Galaxies High Scores

631,975 Rudy J Ferretti

Overall standings:

1. rjchamp3 (16 pts)

2. vdub_bobby (12 pts)

2. bust3dstr8 (12 pts)

4. LarcenTyler (8 pts)

5. Bucket (7 pts)

6. MetalSlime23 (5 pts)

6. 8th lutz (5 pts)

8. Cybergoth (2 pts)

9. gdement (1 pts)

Game Info

Developed for the NES by Rare in 1989, based on the movie of the same name

Other platforms: Commodore 64, DOS. Those other versions were developed by Westwood Associates and appear to be very different (judging from the screenshots), using a top-down viewpoint.

Prequels/sequels/spinoffs: Well, none, really; none that I could dig up. Lot's of movie sequels and spin-offs, of course.

Tips

It's probably worth reading the manual, since this game seems a little more complicated than your average side-scrolling platformer.

LarcenTyler:

-To quote Resident Evil, 'Fighting enemies isn't the only way to survive this nightmare.' While the goal is to earn points, you shouldn't go out of your way to attack enemies, since your punches don't do too much damage. Smaller enemies, like bats and flies, take only one punch, while enemies like rats, snakes, and zombies take about two or three punches at minimum. But don't go out of your way to fight them, as you can only take about four or five hits for each life (there's no visual counter, unfortunately.) The bones you have to collect are worth 2000 points each, which should help build your score while you fight only the enemies you need to.

-Utilize the 'Dream Warrior' powers. They are grey squares with a different image on them. They include the magician (hat with a feather,) ninja (Yin-Yang) and athlete (running figure.) The athlete can throw javelins and jump higher than normal, the magician can shoot fireballs, and the ninja has the ability to throw a jump kick when jumping as well as throwing shurikens. You can't use them unless you've fallen asleep (see below for more information) or when you encounter one of the forms of Freddy. Use Select button to switch between them.

-The 'Zzz' meter indicates how awake you are. If it empties completely, you'll go into the Dream World, where the colors change and your enemies look more evil and powerful. While in the Dream World, if the music suddenly changes to the infamous theme of Freddy, be ready because Freddy's coming, and he's very tough. Make sure to utilize Dream Warrior powers in a situation like this. A cup of coffee will restore your 'Zzz' meter to full, while in the Dream World, it will appear as a boombox which will play loud music to wake you up.

-Time your jumps carefully with moving platforms and with pits, as an enemy can easily hit you and knock you into the pit while you're jumping.

-Every game the houses you have to go into change, but the insides are always shown in the same order, regardless of which house you go into. If you can't enter a house, move to the next one and try that one. Also remember that once you get the key to the next house, you'll also earn an extra life.

Edited by vdub_bobby

First score. Let me give my synopsis of the gameplay and the ways to survive:

-To quote Resident Evil, 'Fighting enemies isn't the only way to survive this nightmare.' While the goal is to earn points, you shouldn't go out of your way to attack enemies, since your punches don't do too much damage. Smaller enemies, like bats and flies, take only one punch, while enemies like rats, snakes, and zombies take about two or three punches at minimum. But don't go out of your way to fight them, as you can only take about four or five hits for each life (there's no visual counter, unfortunately.) The bones you have to collect are worth 2000 points each, which should help build your score while you fight only the enemies you need to.

-Utilize the 'Dream Warrior' powers. They are grey squares with a different image on them. They include the magician (hat with a feather,) ninja (Yin-Yang) and athlete (running figure.) The athlete can throw javelins and jump higher than normal, the magician can shoot fireballs, and the ninja has the ability to throw a jump kick when jumping as well as throwing shurikens. You can't use them unless you've fallen asleep (see below for more information) or when you encounter one of the forms of Freddy. Use Select button to switch between them.

-The 'Zzz' meter indicates how awake you are. If it empties completely, you'll go into the Dream World, where the colors change and your enemies look more evil and powerful. While in the Dream World, if the music suddenly changes to the infamous theme of Freddy, be ready because Freddy's coming, and he's very tough. Make sure to utilize Dream Warrior powers in a situation like this. A cup of coffee will restore your 'Zzz' meter to full, while in the Dream World, it will appear as a boombox which will play loud music to wake you up.

-Time your jumps carefully with moving platforms and with pits, as an enemy can easily hit you and knock you into the pit while you're jumping.

-Every game the houses you have to go into change, but the insides are always shown in the same order, regardless of which house you go into. If you can't enter a house, move to the next one and try that one. Also remember that once you get the key to the next house, you'll also earn an extra life.

I don't get this game at all, and it probably doesn't help that I haven't seen the movie either.

So far my highest score was 6,000, though I don't call that worthy of anything.

I'll keep playing though and hope for the best.

You haven't seen ANY Freddy (A Nightmare on Elm Street) movies!? :?