IGNORED

Having a problem with Real Sports Soccer/Football

Atari Punk 78

I know the players can walk off one side of the screen and reappear on the other side because I had this game before when I was younger. I got another copy of the game months ago and the players can't "warp around". I've tried this copy on three different 2600's (on A and B settings) and get the same thing. The game is in excellent condition. Could it be defective? :?

I never noticed the players in Realsports Soccer moving off the edge of the screen. Are you sure you're not thinking of M Network's Super Challenge Football?

Yes, I've just verified both via emulator/console. They don't seem to "warp around" as you call it. Might there be any other football/soccer games you have/have played?

No, its Atari's Real Sports. It even states in the manual:

"You can use the wraparound feature in RealSports SOCCER to run your player off

one side of the screen to have him reappear on the other side of the screen.

When using this feature, the controlled player must not be in possession of

the ball. A controlled player can run off either side of the screen, but

cannot run off the end of the field."

Based on that manual, was your player in possesion of the ball?

Hmmm...yes, I see that in the manual. I'll have to check my cartridge tonight and see. :ponder:

No, I wasn't in possession of the ball. Thats whats getting me mad. I can't defend my goal as well without the wraparound feature. I've tired the same cart on three Atari 2600s on every mode and difficulty and I can't get the players to walk offscreen. On Stella, the game seems to work as advertised.

No, I wasn't in possession of the ball. Thats whats getting me mad. I can't defend my goal as well without the wraparound feature. I've tired the same cart on three Atari 2600s on every mode and difficulty and I can't get the players to walk offscreen. On Stella, the game seems to work as advertised.

Strange. I couldn't get any of my players to wraparound using my cartridge last night. :?

You too? The first time I ever played this game was on a Vader model Atari and it worked just fine. Now, 15 years later on the same style Atari it won't work.

Anyone else having this problem?

This is strange. :? Could you both post a picture of your cart's front label? Maybe it has something to do with label variations?

This is strange. Could you both post a picture of your cart's front label? Maybe it has something to do with label variations?

It seems that there are two version of the game. Here there are 2 NTSC roms I found on my HD: one with wraparound, the other without it. The 3 PAL roms and the actual PAL cart I own doesn't have that feature.

rs_s.zip

I see, now! Atari Punk, Lucky Man, is it possible that you have/had any duplicates?

Here's the corrected version of the game. Your players can wrap around in this one. I dumped the cart and it matches a rom out there, probably the same one you are using in Stella. It appears (for right now) that the version that doesn't wrap around is found in the older non-Atari Corps carts. I'll have to try and get an older version to dump and compare it, and then add it to the "A question of roms" thread.

~ Omega

RealsportsSoccerAtariCorpsfront.jpg

Football___Realsports_Soccer__Atari_Corps_.BIN

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something interesting. In addition to the later Atari Corp. release, it seems Atari also released the original label cart with the wraparound feature.

post-7728-1176846883_thumb.jpg

These carts are pretty much identical except the one on the left does not have the wraparound feature and the one on the right does.

The fact that the all of the manuals for this game mention the wraparound feature leads me to believe that Atari may have made a mistake and put the wrong ROM into production and then just switched it when this was discovered. A quick way to check which version you have is the one with the wraparound feature also plays a little tune when the game boots up, but the other version doesn't.

Mine plays a tune at startup but I'll be darned if I can make a player wrap around to the other side of the field.

Is it possibly only in a particular game variation? I've only played a couple of randomly chosen one player variations since I got the game a few days ago.

It's interesting that the manual says something like "if you're using this feature" as if it were optional. It'd be hard to avoid popping over to the other side of the screen at least once in a while if the "feature" is always on. There isn't any mention of turning it on and off.

Mine has the copyright 1983 label just like Atari Punk 78's.

The version that doesn't wrap around starts off with a whistle. The version that does allow your player to wrap around starts with a little musical tune. Lucky Man's two identical labels proves Atari swapped these out before the Atari Corps version. I'd say that the non-wrap around is probably going to be more rare (if only slightly), but certainly not more valuable.

The version that doesn't wrap around starts off with a whistle. The version that does allow your player to wrap around starts with a little musical tune. Lucky Man's two identical labels proves Atari swapped these out before the Atari Corps version. I'd say that the non-wrap around is probably going to be more rare (if only slightly), but certainly not more valuable.

When I power mine up, it plays a tune. When you hit reset to start the game, it plays the referee's whistle sound. Is that the one that should wrap or not wrap?

Is the wraparound trivially easy to accomplish? I set control to the upper or lower player, offense or defense, and neither seem to want to leave the field.