IGNORED

Rarity Guide for CIB games?

toymailman

Music Machine is one worth mentioning, loose that cart is no way a 10 but CIB I would say it easily is a 10. There is more but who has the time :D

No, boxed it's a R11. I have not had a chance to even try to offer someone money for one in almost 10 years. :x

I won't even mention the box and manual to Ultravision Karate. :ponder:

I swear I saw one on Ebay around 2001? That would be 7 years :D

Music Machine is one worth mentioning, loose that cart is no way a 10 but CIB I would say it easily is a 10. There is more but who has the time :D

No, boxed it's a R11. I have not had a chance to even try to offer someone money for one in almost 10 years. :x

Six years? :)

..Al

Hmm, tell me was this the same day you saw Elvis and Big Foot. :ponder:

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, but the rarity guide here at AA is for loose carts, right? Is there a separate guide for complete boxed games? I ask because I am elated to finally nab a boxed Fun with Numbers and see it has a rarity of 3 in the guide. I have looked for this boxed title for over a year and could not find it at any price, eBay or on-line stores. Whereas carts and manuals are readily available at low prices.

Thank you.

Funny you should mention...

I dropped by this forum to suggest Fun With Numbers be bumped up a few notches. I have yet to see a box for this game (did they ever change the manual, or did all of them come with Basic Math?).

Lucky dog, that's one that has eluded me. Alas, I shall die Numbers-less. Oh, cruel world!

• 3 weeks later...

The major problem with a rarity guide for CIB games (or for boxes alone) is that it would take a lot of effort and be nearly impossible to construct...the current rarity guide based on loose carts isn't even accurate and is long overdue for an overhaul...why complicate things?

Also, despite what some of you think, a rarity guide for boxes or CIB games isn't going to end up looking much different from a loose rarity guide. My thoughts...

I was thinking that the CIB rarity guide would start from the loose cart rarity guide. Afterall, every CIB game does have the cart too. ;)

So, any individual entry in the CIB guide would be at least the same rarity as found in the cart guide. For example COMBAT. This rarity 1 cart would stay rarity 1 in the CIB list and not change at all. Other titles may increase by one or more points. Fun with Numbers, listed as rarity 3, may be a rarity 6 CIB game because the box seems to be MUCH harder to find than the cart. As for 10's they have no where to go. Unless a scale is made that "goes to 11!" Wow, that would be cool. :D

I agree, a rarity guide for CIB games would be great seeing as there are some R4 games for example loose that if you had the box and manual all of a sudden are more like R6 or R7's and it's not an uncommon thing either. Alot of games are like this and I think some type of guide to this would help the prices stay\go to what they really are worth.

First off, you can only use a ten-point scale...nothing else is going to work (unless you wan to use a 100-point scale for more degrees of separation). So people saying that an R10 game is going to be an R11 boxed (all joking aside) aren't making sense.

Second, a rarity guide for boxes/boxed games would have to be constructed from scratch. You can't just bump an R1 loose game up to R2 boxed...in saying that, you're determining rarity by comparing a loose game to a boxed game...you can't do that...you're mixing up the difference between absolute rarity (something is rare in itself) and relative rarity (something is rare compared to something else).

To construct a box rarity guide, you have to compare boxed games to other boxed games...you can't compare boxed games to loose games. You can't say that Pac-Man is an R2 boxed or Stronghold is an R10 boxed...you're using the loose rarity guide and in doing so you're comparing boxed games to loose carts. If you were to construct a new rarity guide and compare a boxed Pac-Man to a boxed Stronghold, then both games would likely still be an R1 and an R9 respectively. Stronghold is considerably rarer than Pac-Man (boxed or loose) but no matter how rare it is, the ratio of boxed Strongholds isn't going to be much different than the ratio of boxed Pac-Mans.

If Pac-Man is an R2 on the boxed games scale, the what's an R1 boxed? :?

If you compare boxed games to other boxed games, in the end you're going to end up with a rarity guide that's nearly identical to the loose one.

The rarity of boxes may be hard to figure out. Of course the box is generally as rare as the game, but how many of which boxes were thrown away or otherwise destroyed?

Exactly, that would be impossible to determine.

95% of the boxes is not rare (i.e. every collector will own it at some point in time)

5% of the boxes is rare (i.e. only crazy people will own it)

Believe it or not, in the end that's pretty accurate. I don't even know why a rarity guide for boxes/boxed games is even a thought. Any collector already knows that a box for any game R5 or higher is going to be tough to find. Rarity increases greatly as you go up the scale to the point that R9-R10 boxes are just about impossible to come by. But being that less than ten percent of the copies of any game (whether Pac-Man or Stronghold) are going to have the box, this is already understood. Does anybody really need a rarity guide to tell them the difference in rarity between a Music Machine box and a Stronghold box? Music Machine seems rarer, but let's be honest here...they're both damn near impossible to find. With any rarity guide for boxes, you'd have to use a 100-point scale for it to be accurate (which would be impossible to construct) and in the end, I don't really see what the point is...you'd really be splitting the finest of fine hairs in many cases.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

• 1 month later...
The major problem with a rarity guide for CIB games (or for boxes alone) is that it would take a lot of effort and be nearly impossible to construct...the current rarity guide based on loose carts isn't even accurate and is long overdue for an overhaul...why complicate things?erespectively. Stronghold is considerably rarer than Pac-Man (boxed or loose) but no matter how rare it is, the ratio of boxed Strongholds isn't going to be much different than the ratio of boxed Pac-Mans.

If you compare boxed games to other boxed games, in the end you're going to end up with a rarity guide that's nearly identical to the loose one.

The rarity of boxes may be hard to figure out. Of course the box is generally as rare as the game, but how many of which boxes were thrown away or otherwise destroyed?

95% of the boxes is not rare (i.e. every collector will own it at some point in time)

Believe it or not, in the end that's pretty accurate. I don't even know why a rarity guide for boxes/boxed games is even a thought. Any collector already knows that a box for any game R5 or higher is going to be tough to find. Rarity increases greatly as you go up the scale to the point that R9-R10 boxes are just about impossible to come by. But being that less than ten percent of the copies of any game (whether Pac-Man or Stronghold) are going to have the box, this is already understood. Does anybody really need a rarity guide to tell them the difference in rarity between a Music Machine box and a Stronghold box? Music Machine seems rarer, but let's be honest here...they're both damn near impossible to find. With any rarity guide for boxes, you'd have to use a e100-point scale for it to be accurate (which would be impossible to construct) and in the end, I don't really see what the point is...you'd really be splitting the finest of fine hairs in many cases.

How rare are the Beat'em & Eat'em, Custers Revenge and X-Man video games if they are still factory sealed in the original plastic and box? That is what I have been trying to figure out on my other posts. I don't care about the monetary value at the moment. I just want to know if there are 1000 other people that have X-Man still sealed or are there only 100, or only 10. I can't decide if I want to sell it or keep it. If there are only a few X-man known to exist that are still sealed then I will be leaning more towards putting it in my Captain Morgan treasure box and forgetting about it for 10 or 15 years along with my other rare things. I like the uniqueness of a good piece of history.

The major problem with a rarity guide for CIB games (or for boxes alone) is that it would take a lot of effort and be nearly impossible to construct...the current rarity guide based on loose carts isn't even accurate and is long overdue for an overhaul...why complicate things?erespectively. Stronghold is considerably rarer than Pac-Man (boxed or loose) but no matter how rare it is, the ratio of boxed Strongholds isn't going to be much different than the ratio of boxed Pac-Mans.

Believe it or not, in the end that's pretty accurate. I don't even know why a rarity guide for boxes/boxed games is even a thought. Any collector already knows that a box for any game R5 or higher is going to be tough to find. Rarity increases greatly as you go up the scale to the point that R9-R10 boxes are just about impossible to come by. But being that less than ten percent of the copies of any game (whether Pac-Man or Stronghold) are going to have the box, this is already understood. Does anybody really need a rarity guide to tell them the difference in rarity between a Music Machine box and a Stronghold box? Music Machine seems rarer, but let's be honest here...they're both damn near impossible to find. With any rarity guide for boxes, you'd have to use a e100-point scale for it to be accurate (which would be impossible to construct) and in the end, I don't really see what the point is...you'd really be splitting the finest of fine hairs in many cases.

How rare are the Beat'em & Eat'em, Custers Revenge and X-Man video games if they are still factory sealed in the original plastic and box? That is what I have been trying to figure out on my other posts. I don't care about the monetary value at the moment. I just want to know if there are 1000 other people that have X-Man still sealed or are there only 100, or only 10. I can't decide if I want to sell it or keep it. If there are only a few X-man known to exist that are still sealed then I will be leaning more towards putting it in my Captain Morgan treasure box and forgetting about it for 10 or 15 years along with my other rare things. I like the uniqueness of a good piece of history.

Xmen is the rarest.

Once I bought 48 copies of Beat Em and Custers sealed for $5 each. A long time ago yes but even back then I couldn't find a sealed xman.

The major problem with a rarity guide for CIB games (or for boxes alone) is that it would take a lot of effort and be nearly impossible to construct...the current rarity guide based on loose carts isn't even accurate and is long overdue for an overhaul...why complicate things?

Also, despite what some of you think, a rarity guide for boxes or CIB games isn't going to end up looking much different from a loose rarity guide. My thoughts...

There are many different boxes. For instance the Dark Chambers box that doesn't say NEW on it is considerably rare as is the colored instruction manual inside. The B&W dodge'm boxes.

There is a very big problem with CIB items which is that you need the NIB item and you have to open it to verify that the CIB item actually contained the items you're claiming are CIB.

I've ostriched this myself as being much too difficult.

Only X-Man is rare. the others are extremely common and can be bough CIB any day of the week. I would say given sealed copies like yours are showing up, its only a matter of time before a carton or 2 are found and the price will fall dramatically...