IGNORED

Donkey Kong (arcade) emulated on Tandy Coco3

JamesD

That is awesome... now I just need to figure out a way to get the disk image to a floppy that my CoCo 3 can read. I've e-mailed the guy who did the port for some tips, as I'm sadly deficient in my CoCo knowledge, despite having a 1, 2 & 3, and multi-cart, and 2 floppy drives. I didn't even know there was a 'scene' currently existing for that machine - it's impossible to keep track of everything I collect! :D

I'm glad there is a 'scene' though - maybe there will be some more cool developments down the road. Although the CoCo gets so little of my time and attention, there's always been something I like about it. Maybe I'll be doing more with it soon...

Thanks for the link - cool stuff! :cool: :thumbsup:

--Timster--

If the Coco may not be fast enough to emulate Donkey Kong's 3Mhz Z80 CPU, it is fast enough to run the original game logic if it was translated into native 6809 operations. It may not have the same graphical or sound capabilities, but it has a lot more RAM and a very flexible CPU. We could stack things to take advantage of the CoCo's strengths.

Its not emulation, but rather a "port" as even the author acknowledges this.

If the Coco may not be fast enough to emulate Donkey Kong's 3Mhz Z80 CPU, it is fast enough to run the original game logic if it was translated into native 6809 operations. It may not have the same graphical or sound capabilities, but it has a lot more RAM and a very flexible CPU. We could stack things to take advantage of the CoCo's strengths.

Its not emulation, but rather a "port" as even the author acknowledges this.

From the web page:

Things don't match up too well in that chart... But, I had figured that if I set out to emulate the hardware that the CoCo is capable of emulating and adapt the parts that the CoCo was not capable of emulating into native "work-alike" operations instead, it would probably be possible to get the classic arcade game running on the CoCo.

It's a partial port and partial emulation.

Video on youtube:

OMG!!! That's ridiculous!!! I haven't heard back from the guy who did this, but he had the CoCo3 disk image on that page in the link above, and I downloaded that. Does anyone here know anything about creating a CoCo-readable floppy disk from a disk-image on an XP machine? Why hasn't someone created a multi-cart or 'SIO2PC'-equivalent for this system yet?!?!?! :)

Any advice appreciated! TIA.

--Timster--

That is awesome... now I just need to figure out a way to get the disk image to a floppy that my CoCo 3 can read. I've e-mailed the guy who did the port for some tips, as I'm sadly deficient in my CoCo knowledge, despite having a 1, 2 & 3, and multi-cart, and 2 floppy drives. I didn't even know there was a 'scene' currently existing for that machine - it's impossible to keep track of everything I collect! :D

I'm glad there is a 'scene' though - maybe there will be some more cool developments down the road. Although the CoCo gets so little of my time and attention, there's always been something I like about it. Maybe I'll be doing more with it soon...

Thanks for the link - cool stuff! :cool: :thumbsup:

--Timster--

Try visiting Coco3.com, the yahoo group or check out the mailing list.

http://coco3.com

http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/coco

Video on youtube:

OMG!!! That's ridiculous!!! I haven't heard back from the guy who did this, but he had the CoCo3 disk image on that page in the link above, and I downloaded that. Does anyone here know anything about creating a CoCo-readable floppy disk from a disk-image on an XP machine? Why hasn't someone created a multi-cart or 'SIO2PC'-equivalent for this system yet?!?!?! :)

Any advice appreciated! TIA.

--Timster--

Actually, there is something similar. Check out Cloud9's products.

For a commercial product you'll want Drivewire to transfer files and SuperIDE will let you use compact flash.

However there is a free utility that can transfer disk images if you have a 360K floppy in your PC.

I actually used a 720K disk. I can't remember the name of the utility off the top of my head.

This is truly incredible. But let me ask you all, isn't it about 25 years too late! Just imagine if this had been released back in the old days? Radio Shack would have seen Coco3 sales skyrocket!

The coco was Tandy's top selling computer for a long time as it was. I don't know how many were sold but it was likely in the millions (just look at the number on ebay). If Tandy hadn't dumped the Coco line it would have continued to be there top seller for a while. I think Tandy wanted buyers to become fans of their PC line rather than the Coco.

Tandy *supposedly* had a Coco4 in the works that was going to be an all in one system with a built in drive similar to some of their PC line. I'm not sure if that is true or not since I've never heard of a prototype surfacing. But then Tandy pretty much destroyed everything Coco when the line was canceled. I think someone wanted to make sure it was never brought back to life again.

BTW, that Donkey Kong game may not have been possible back in the day since people were rarely given access to the original source when creating a licensed version.

Edited by JamesD