1. 1. 2600 Homebrew of the Year 2006

• Conquest of Mars
    • E.T. Book Cart
    • Four Play
    • Lady Bug
    • Medieval Mayhem
    • Toyshop Trouble

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As nominated in this thread, what do you think was the best 2600 homebrew released in the AtariAge store in 2006?

The nominees are:

Conquest of Mars from John W. Champeau

E.T. Book Cart from Charles F. Gray and Michael Rideout

Four Play from Zach Matley with music from Bob Montgomery

Lady Bug from John W. Champeau

Medieval Mayhem from Darrell Spice Jr. with graphics from David Vazquez and music from Erik Ehrling

Toyshop Trouble from John Payson, Zach Matley, Bob Montgomery and Thomas Jentzsch with graphics from Nathan Strum

I'd say either Lady Bug or Medieval Mayhem. Tough call though. Guess I'll go back and play them both some more. ;)

I know these weren't nominated in the other thread, but also released last year were: A-VCS-Tec Challenge, AStar, BLiP Football, Phantom II/Pirate, Rainbow Invaders and Space Battle. I think it's important to recognize the programmers' hard work for these games, too, even if they don't get included in the poll.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I debated on Toy Shop Trouble or Lady Bug Love both But since Toy Shop Trouble isnt available now and was a limited run for the time being I voted for it I know Lady Bug will be the top votes as it can be had by more but the little elf needed a vote too.

But I do play Lady Bug daily damn its addicting

Lady Bug and Medieval Mayhem are both incredible, and both games add so much to the Atari VCS library.

Lady Bug is my favorite singleplayer game of the year, and Medieval Mayhem is my favorite multiplayer game of the year, and is the best homebrew paddle game to date (surpassing my previous favorite, Marble Craze). I am still blown away by how arcade faithful Lady Bug is, and how just plain fun it is. These two games are in the top twenty (maybe even the top 10, if I think about it) of best arcade translations for the VCS ever! I hate to choose just one!

No love for BLiP Football? :)

Actually I had a hard time voting here. I know the tide is with LadyBug but Toyshop Trouble is an original and that, for me, counts for a lot in homebrew land. The only thing is that I've never played Toyshop Trouble so it's hard to vote. The ET book cart gets a kind of honorable mention for being something quite original.

Hmm.. I'm surprised BLiP football wasn't nominated! That's the game I play the most! Oh well - maybe BLiP Football II will be nominated next year... ;)

I love Toyshop Trouble - very addicting and an unbelievable game considering how fast it was made.

Medieval Mayhem is awesome - almost hard to believe it's running on a 2600. I wish I was able to play the game with my 3 brothers like with Warlords & the good ol' days (hopefully next Christmas).

Four Play is a great puzzle game - I've always liked these types of games on the 2600 (Othello, Backgammon, etc.). The computer is quite a challenge too!

ET Book cart looks interesting but I have not had a chance to see this one.

And of course, CoM & LB are sentimental favorites, but it's like picking out which child you like better...

I'll have to think about this one... :)

I had a hard time deciding between Toyshop Trouble and Ladybug. I had to go with TT just because it's a totally original game, although it does have an I Love Lucy vibe to it.

If only I could retroactively vote for 2005....I just got Strat-O-Gems Deluxe recently....wow....that would easily get my 2005 vote...but one question: why am I absolutely addicted to that on the Atari when there are graphically and sonically superior Columns variants on modern systems (simply BECAUSE they're modern systems) but I rarely touch those???? Weeeeeeeird!

but one question: why am I absolutely addicted to that on the Atari when there are graphically and sonically superior Columns variants on modern systems (simply BECAUSE they're modern systems) but I rarely touch those????

Gameplay! :D

Well, that's the thing -- the gameplay is pretty much the same!

Man...thing is...I haven't played a homebrew that I haven't absolutely loooooooved. Toyshop Trouble, Strat-O-Gems Deluxe, AStar (played it at MGC), Medieval Mayhem, Ladybug....all just fantastic, and hard to pick the best.

I admit my choice -- Toyshop Trouble -- was based pretty much on how much I actually played it....but the thing is Ladybug and SOGD haven't been in my possession for very long!

This is a tough poll! I own four of these games and they are all prizes in my collection. I could cop out and not vote since it wouldn't be fair to the other two games I don't own :P

Hmm...

I'm going with Medieval Mayhem (with Lady Bug, Toyshop Trouble, and Conquest of Mars following a close 2nd, 3rd, and 4th).