IGNORED

New Gorf like game for 2600 and Question....

Gorf

How does 2600 Galaxian.........get all those enemies on

the screen at once?

Are they using the playfield at a higher resolution

and drawing them there?

I want to attempt to redo Gorf on the 2600. But I want

to figure out how it was done in Galaxian as that seems

like the method I would need.

Of course this will be a frebbie and called something else

however, I hope I can get some of you in on it actually.

it would be a new game and a chance for me to really get

to know the 2600.

Any takers? Im looking for two guys/gals that really know

their way around bB and the 2600.

Please if interested...PM me.

Thanks

:D

Edited by Gorf

Just-in-time sprite positioning for sprite 0 (that is, resetting the horizontal location of sprite 0 at the moment it's needed within the kernal routines). If you look at a disassembly, you'll see an initial store to GRP0 and GRP1...followed by a number of RESP0/NUSIZ0 stores. This works fine since all copies of sprite 0 look identical and have even spacing...while sprite 1 is allowed to be independant from the group.

The kernal routines are really specific in this case...so it might be beyond bB's capability.

Are they using the playfield at a higher resolution and drawing them there?
Impossible...the 2600 only has 1 resolution for playfield GFX. Edited by Nukey Shay

Just-in-time sprite positioning for sprite 0 (that is, resetting the horizontal location of sprite 0 at the moment it's needed within the kernal routines). If you look at a disassembly, you'll see an initial store to GRP0 and GRP1...followed by a number of RESP0/NUSIZ0 stores. This works fine since all copies of sprite 0 look identical and have even spacing...while sprite 1 is allowed to be independant from the group.

That was my understanding, but I wasn't sure how they got single-color-clock positioning, since the best you can do with RESPx is triple-color-clock positioning (because 1 machine cycle equals 3 color clocks). I guess the sprites use only 6 of the 8 pixels, so they can be moved a single color clock by shifting the data left or right 1 bit? That is...

RESP0 ending on cycle 24 (for example), and GRP0 contains 11111100 (or some such)
- then -
RESP0 ending on cycle 24, and GRP0 contains 01111110
- then -
RESP0 ending on cycle 24, and GRP0 contains 00111111
- then -
RESP0 ending on cycle *25*, and GRP0 contains 11111100
- then -
RESP0 ending on cycle 25, and GRP0 contains 01111110
- then -
RESP0 ending on cycle 25, and GRP0 contains 00111111
- etc. -

Hmm, I'll have to look at this more closely, and peek at a disassembly, but that's the only way I can think of.

Michael

The kernal routines are really specific in this case...so it might be beyond bB's capability.

Then for the moment, it is beyond my scope as well. I never wrote bit one of 2600 asm.

Well, not true, I typed in the sample code that came with my Magic Card that I never used

after that. :?

Perhaps a sample of such code code be helpful. Like a row of 8 sprites?

Cycle-exact timing is required to move beyond the intended hardware capabilities of the 2600, so you might want to start with something simpler :ponder:

A 6-sprite Space Invaders-type display that doesn't need dedicated routines is tricky enough IMO.

But anyway...

Christopher Tumbler posted an explaination to the Stellalist quite a while ago. Here's an archived link:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...9/msg00172.html

Thomas Jentzsch optimized and expanded the method to display 11 sprites on a scanline in this demo:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...1/msg00165.html