IGNORED

NTSC Rarity Guide - R10s

Dino

Since the NTSC rarity guide is in desparate need of updating, I thought it may be worthwhile listing out what are the 'real' R10s in NTSC format (we have the PAL rarity guide for PAL titles). I'll update this list based upon the responses I get to this thread. This should hopefully give us an understanding of what the true R10s that most people agree are the R10s. I dont expect that we will reach total agreement on all titles and don't want to get into the boxed/unboxed debate - lets stick to loose titles. I'll start a similar thread for R9s and R8s.

R10s

Air Raid (MenAvision) - lets leave it in for now shall we?

Atlantis II (Imagic)

Birthday Mania

BMX Airmaster (Atari)

Copy Cart (Vidco)

ECPC Cartridge (Romox)

Eli's Ladder (Simage)

Gauntlet (Answer)

Karate (Ultravision)

Magicard (Commavid)

Mangia (Spectravision)

Pepsi Invaders (Atari)

Superman (Sears picture label)

Space Chase Monogrammed (Apollo)

Video Life (Commavid)

Xante cartridge (Xante)

Changes from original list:

Added:

Birthday Mania

Space Chase Monogrammed (Apollo)

Subtracted:

Music Machine (Sparrow) - Added to R9s.

Edited by Dino

Agree with everything on the 10 list except Music Machine. There are a few rarity 9 games that are rarer than this. Though it

would be one of the rarer 9's

Air Raid (MenAvision) - lets leave it in for now shall we?

Atlantis II (Imagic)

Birthday Mania

BMX Airmaster (Atari)

Copy Cart (Vidco)

ECPC Cartridge (Romox)

Eli's Ladder (Simage)

Gauntlet (Answer)

Karate (Ultravision)

Magicard (Commavid)

Mangia (Spectravision)

Pepsi Invaders (Atari)

Spacechase (Monogrammed)

Superman (Sears picture label)

Video Life (Commavid)

Xante cartridge (Xante)

Edited by homerwannabee

Spacechase monogrammed? :?

Yep, Apollo offered a Spacechase cart that you could have personalized. When your spaceship blew up your intials would appear on the screen instead of the explosion. It cost $100 back in the day IIRC. I imagine only a few people did it so it's quite rare. It's also supposed to look like a regular Spacechase cart making them even harder to find. I have never seen myself.

Not if you're sensible about it

Certain variants should be added. Gravitar, for example, has never been a problem.

How do you make the distinction?

I really don't even know or follow all the rare varients, have found it difficult to keep up so how would a distinction be made?

(It's more about the games to us.) That and I enjoy collecting/playing homebrews more anymore.

Thanks for clarifying Omegamatrix, I've never even played our spacechases, lol maybe I should go check them. :ponder:

Music Machine was the one R10 we could almost afford to keep our hands on but if anyone wants to part with any of the remaining game carts in good condition really cheaply, lol let us know. :P Only way we have the R10s is on our CC or CC2. :D

Not if you're sensible about it

Certain variants should be added. Gravitar, for example, has never been a problem.

How do you make the distinction?

I propose 2 rules:

1. If the cart is by the same company, then the labels have to be recognisable as different from afar. Eg. Gravitar has different coloured labels - silver and red. They are visually different and distinguishable from afar. They are pretty major label variations.

2. If the carts are produced by different companies, they should be included even if the label variation is minor. Eg. in relation to Sears picture label Superman, whilst the differences with the Atari label are not clear from afar, they are different companies and so both labels should be included.

I propose 2 rules:

1. If the cart is by the same company, then the labels have to be recognisable as different from afar. Eg. Gravitar has different coloured labels - silver and red. They are visually different and distinguishable from afar. They are pretty major label variations.

2. If the carts are produced by different companies, they should be included even if the label variation is minor. Eg. in relation to Sears picture label Superman, whilst the differences with the Atari label are not clear from afar, they are different companies and so both labels should be included.

#2 is straightforward, but #1 is too arbitrary, IMO. Visually different from afar is a highly subjective measure.

I propose 2 rules:

#2 is straightforward, but #1 is too arbitrary, IMO. Visually different from afar is a highly subjective measure.

Visually different would entail, for example, silver/black/red label for Atari. Where the difference is instantly noticeable and you don't have to look closely at the cart. It shouldn't cause too many problems at the R8 to R10 level.

I propose 2 rules:

Visually different would entail, for example, silver/black/red label for Atari. Where the difference is instantly noticeable and you don't have to look closely at the cart. It shouldn't cause too many problems at the R8 to R10 level.

1. Yep, and T-Handle versus Square Case such as with Karate. Also maybe Xonox Style versus Standard Case for Boing. Those are easy to tell far away.

Well, I guess I'm not getting my point across.

Anyway, Atari, Inc. picture label Flag Capture should be on this list.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference with this and a 'regular' flag capture?

Until recently, the only known picture label variant of this cartridge was the Atari Corp re-release in the mid-80's. All original Atari Inc. Flag Captures were text labels until a 1978 picture label popped up recently.