IGNORED

NTSC Rarity Guide - R10s

Dino

Allocating a rarity number to a game does not affect its value.

Not in my opinion either, not even when you´re in R9/R10 territory.

That said, the Rarity guide on AA has become sort of an official guide to the value of Atari 2600 carts to a lot of people that trade on eBay these days. They use it any way they see fit, disregard region rarity and basically just sow a lot of confusion.

I haven´t amassed my collection of Atari 2600 carts to sell it, so whatever´s done to the individual rarity ratings really doesn´t bother me that much. IMO The ratings should reflect both actual rarity, ie. how amazingly few are known to exist, as well as rarity based on supply and demand, ie. carts that go for the really big bucks but are known to exist in more than say 10 copies.

IMO The ratings should reflect both actual rarity, ie. how amazingly few are known to exist, as well as rarity based on supply and demand, ie. carts that go for the really big bucks but are known to exist in more than say 10 copies.

What do you consider to be the list of R10s?

IMO The ratings should reflect both actual rarity, ie. how amazingly few are known to exist, as well as rarity based on supply and demand, ie. carts that go for the really big bucks but are known to exist in more than say 10 copies.

Combat, Pac-Man, Defender and E.T.! Asteroids is a 9.5.

I haven´t actually given any thought lately as to whether or not the current one´s fine as it is. As somebody else stated, the list should be organic and reflect reality at any given time.

Based on the last year or so, I´d probably kick Lochjaw up a notch (Super R9?) though. I´m not sure why exactly, but it´s being traded for some serious bucks (loose even) these days.

I haven´t actually given any thought lately as to whether or not the current one´s fine as it is. As somebody else stated, the list should be organic and reflect reality at any given time.

Based on the last year or so, I´d probably kick Lochjaw up a notch (Super R9?) though. I´m not sure why exactly, but it´s being traded for some serious bucks (loose even) these days.

The problem with basing rarity on perceived VALUE is that value changes from day to day and is not indicative of the scarcity of a cart. For example, if you were to apply the same principle to PAL carts (take stronghold as an example), these would at best be an R4 or 5 because they just dont command high prices becuase they are not as sought after as their NTSC counterparts, even though they are often just as rare.

The rarity guide should not be used by buyers to judge value. If you do not do your resewarch and buy an NTSC Motorodeo for $300 because its an R10, then you only have yourself to blame. the rarity guide should only be based on rarity. Otherwise we should transform it into a price guide.

The problem with basing rarity on perceived VALUE is that value changes from day to day and is not indicative of the scarcity of a cart. For example, if you were to apply the same principle to PAL carts (take stronghold as an example), these would at best be an R4 or 5 because they just dont command high prices becuase they are not as sought after as their NTSC counterparts, even though they are often just as rare.

The rarity guide should not be used by buyers to judge value. If you do not do your resewarch and buy an NTSC Motorodeo for $300 because its an R10, then you only have yourself to blame. the rarity guide should only be based on rarity. Otherwise we should transform it into a price guide.

I agree actually. A rarity guide and a price guide wouldn´t look the same at all. The price guide could function as a buyers guide to 2600 games and would (hopefully) save people from making very costly mistakes.

By organic I don´t mean day to day btw. More like a perceived tendency of a specific game over a longer period of time, say a year or so.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Marco,

I would like to have a list of all the non-prototype VCS PAL and NTSC (Holy Grail) carts/tapes that YOU think are 100% worth a rarity of a solid 10 (including any brazilian cart/tapes), even if they are found loose.

I want to mark them in our database.

These are the NTSC carts you suggested:

Air Raid (is PAL, btw)

Birthday Mania

ECPC Cartridge

Gauntlet

Karate

Spacechase Monogrammed

If you have anything to add or correct, please do.

Also, I'm very curious about your PAL selection.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

These are the NTSC carts you suggested:

Air Raid

Birthday Mania

ECPC Cartridge

Gauntlet

Karate

Spacechase Monogrammed

If you have anything to add or correct, please do.

Yep, this is still my selection of "real" 10s... :)

Also, I'm very curious about your PAL selection.

Hm, that's an incredibly tough one! Anyway, let's see if I can come up with a proposal to start this off:

6-in-1 (with label) | Hot Shot

32-in-1 | Atrax

Atlantis | Scala

General Retreat / Westward Ho | Playaround

Ghost Tank | Shagora

Pengo black label | Atari

Seal to Whales | Datatech

Spectracube Invasion | Suntek

Words Attack | Sancho

I've chosen not to include Homevision, Epoch (Japanese Atari), anything Brazilian or Taiwanese (brandless) at this point in time. All up for discussion, of course.

Cheers,

Marco

Thanks!

Behold:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft.php?MEN...n_sauver=Search

As you can see, I added the Demonstration Cart too.

8)

What is the difference between a Romox cart and a Xante cart? Why are the Romox games included but not the Xante ones? I can understand having no Xante or Romox games and I can understand having both Xante and Romox. But having Romox up there and not Xante Confuses me. Also one more thing. I know for a fact that Gary Kitchen did not program Air Raid. I actually went up to him and asked him point blank if he had programmed Air Raid. He had no idea what the game Air Raid was and laughed off the idea of him programming this game.

What is the difference between a Romox cart and a Xante cart? Why are the Romox games included but not the Xante ones? I can understand having no Xante or Romox games and I can understand having both Xante and Romox. But having Romox up there and not Xante Confuses me.
Good point. I'll put the Xänte's on the list too.
Also one more thing. I know for a fact that Gary Kitchen did not program Air Raid. I actually went up to him and asked him point blank if he had programmed Air Raid. He had no idea what the game Air Raid was and laughed off the idea of him programming this game.
He may laugh off the idea as long and hard as he wants, but the fact is that Air Raid is partly based on his Space Jockey coding.

So he is one of the programmers, whether he likes it or not.

Same goes for Rob Fulop, btw:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=14784

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

No way the Pengo black label is a 10.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's quite a fun mystery cart though :)

Cheers,

Marco

Marco, you forget other PAL Playaround carts as well are R10s, such as Jungle Fever/Knight on the town. There is also PAL Condor Attack by Funvision and PAL square case Ultravision Condor Attack. What about PAL Funvision Karate and Mission Survive by Video Gems?