IGNORED

NES PowerPak: a flash cart for the Nintendo Entertainment System

Some pictures of the upcoming NES PowerPak were leaked a few days ago, at NES Dev. It is the first flash cart for the NES. Not very many details are known, but those interested should keep track of this product, as it will definitely sell out fast.

powerpakgn2.jpg

Below are the currently known details. Note that none of these details are set in stone, and EVERYTHING can change, as the NES Power Pak is being developed by a single person, bunnyboy, working out of his home.

1. This cart allows you to play NES ROMs on a real NES system, by loading the ROMs onto an inexpensive compact flash card, which is then inserted into the NES Power Pak cart. In a sense, the NES Power Pak lets you burn NES ROMs to a real NES cart!

2. The NES Power Pak works with official Nintendo made NES systems, such as the toaster and the top loader. However, it does NOT work with NOAC based Famiclones such as the NEX, Yobo, FC Twin, and others. This is not surprising considering that these clones don't work with many official carts, especially carts with more sophisticated circuitry such as MMC5 based games.

3. The boot ROM is upgradable, but since it does not contain the code used for supporting mappers, it most likely will not need to be upgraded. However, bunnyboy said that he would offer an upgrade service if some critical bug was found in the boot ROM.

4. Mapper support can be upgraded via files loaded on the CF card. This is important as game compatibility problems will be due to mapper support. In other words, game compatibility bugs can be fixed via easily installed software upgrades.

5. A complete game compatibility list has not yet been put together. Not every game will be compatible, but most games will be compatible. Also, compatibility can be improved over time with user installed upgrades.

6. The NES Power Pak will go on sale in roughly a month. Quantities will be limited, and demand will be high, so get in line.

7. The NES Power Pak will cost somewhere around $120 to $140 (USD).

While the price may seem high to some, it is important to realize how expensive it is to get custom electronics made in small numbers. Large businesses can minimize the cost of a piece of electronics by manufacturing a large number of units, which drives down the price of each individual unit. However, since the NES Power Pak is being developed by a single person using money out of his own pocket, a large number of units cannot be manufactured. Also, keep in mind that there is no other flash cart for the NES, because developing a flash cart for the NES is an extremely difficult task due to the large number of different "mapper" chips used in official NES carts. Each chip must be supported by a flash cart in order to be compatible with every game.

Edited by Jagasian

That is so awesome. A lot of us have all been waiting for one of these for quite some time. YES!

I've been waiting for so long, and seen so many attempts at a NES flash cart, that I am still a bit in denial that this cart will eventually be sold... but this time I think that we will all finally get a chance to own a NES flash cart. There are flash carts for just about every other cart based system, so it is about time that the NES got a flash cart.

Flash carts are great -- the best of both worlds. All the software plus the original hardware. If this thing is reasonably priced, I might just need to source an NES again ... as long as I can find some good wireless controllers.

Is there a readily-available SNES flash cart? Imagine an FC Twin with two flash carts sticking out of it ... mmmmmmmmmmm (minus perfect compatibility unfortunately)

Is there a readily-available SNES flash cart? Imagine an FC Twin with two flash carts sticking out of it ... mmmmmmmmmmm (minus perfect compatibility unfortunately)

A SNES flash cart would be great for potentially playing SNES Smurfs on an American SNES. Of course, I also have an FC Twin, so I'm also concerned with compatibility issues.

Is there a readily-available SNES flash cart?

There sure is - I've had a TotoTek SNES flash cart for a while now, and it kicks ass! :D Works like a champ in the FCTwin as well. Only limitation I've seen so far are the 'special chip' SNES games of course.

I've been wanting a NES flash cart for a loooooong time. :cool:

Edited by remowilliams

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly IS a flash cart?

:?

Flash = flash-based memory (rewritable)

Cart = Cartridge (plug and play)

It's like a regular ROM cartridge like you'd buy in a store, except with larger capacity, and rewritable so you could put any game on it you want. See how there's a slot for a Compact Flash card in the example above?

Think of it as a blank disc for cartridge-based machines.

Edited by Flojomojo

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly IS a flash cart?

:?

Flash = flash-based memory (rewritable)

Cart = Cartridge (plug and play)

It's like a regular ROM cartridge like you'd buy in a store, except with larger capacity, and rewritable so you could put any game on it you want. See how there's a slot for a Compact Flash card in the example above?

Think of it as a blank disc for cartridge-based machines.

Dang! I thought it was an exhibitionist's automobile... ;)

Actaully, a lot of "grey area" online stores will have various flash carts, if you look many will have flash carts for older systems too.

I would like a NES flash cart, and that looks awesome with the clear case, but I wouldn't pay what they'll want for it (probably in the $100 range)

Yes, Jagasian, what is your opinion of the price of this unit? And it's feature set, compatibility wise and value wise? I also look forward to reading your opinions on it once you acquire one, or if you do acquire one at all. Regardless, I look forward to reading your opinions on it. I realize you won't need to get one to have some strong opinions about it.

Is there a link with a full compatibility listing, prior to the sale of it? You know,prior to offering it for sale? Are they taking pre-orders? I figured you would be the guy to ask about that sort of thing. You tend to have your thumb on that sort of thing.

It's an interesting product. I wish bunnyboy well. With a supporter like you, he can expect all manner of big results and online buzz! Cool stuff!

The mappers might not be perfect, but they can be updated on the flash card itself. You can store (basically)every game + homebrews into one cart. Legality issues aside: It's the equivalent of $5000-$10000 worth of carts; I would easily pay double or triple the asking price for this flash cart assuming that it works as it should.

Yes, Jagasian, what is your opinion of the price of this unit? And it's feature set, compatibility wise and value wise? I also look forward to reading your opinions on it once you acquire one, or if you do acquire one at all. Regardless, I look forward to reading your opinions on it. I realize you won't need to get one to have some strong opinions about it.

Is there a link with a full compatibility listing, prior to the sale of it? You know,prior to offering it for sale? Are they taking pre-orders? I figured you would be the guy to ask about that sort of thing. You tend to have your thumb on that sort of thing.

It's an interesting product. I wish bunnyboy well. With a supporter like you, he can expect all manner of big results and online buzz! Cool stuff!

Omne, please keep anti-social behavior out of this thread, or otherwise your continued trolling will be reported to the forum admins.

I am in no way affiliated with the guy (bunnyboy) that is developing the NES Power Pak. I am merely an eager NES fan, and my post was just to give people a heads up about information that was leaked regarding a really cool one-of-a-kind piece of hardware for the NES. Regarding game compatibility, it is still too early to tell. According to bunnyboy, all but roughly 10 USA NES games work, but until a final compatibility list is created, nothing is definite. Also, since the cart uses an FPGA, its compatibility can be improved over time. Also, it should be noted that the NES Power Pak is not yet available for sale. Pre-orders aren't even being accepted yet, and the final price hasn't even been announced.

I see. Nevertheless I am very interested in how this cool thing develops and pans out. It shows promise. How your opinions on it develop over time will be interesting as well, as you are known to have strong feelings and opinions on NES related subjects. I find this very interesting to me.

Jagasian:

Omne, please keep anti-social behavior out of this thread, or otherwise your continued trolling will be reported to the forum admins.

What are you talking about? I've read the forum rules (have you?) and I have done nothing wrong. I can post about things that interest me to jagasian?Admins? If I am wrong here please advise. Hopefully jagasian realizes the admins have real stuff to do here, and I imagine they prefer to not have their time wasted.

^^

What on earth are you talking about? Where did I say what you claim to be quoting me? That's a complete misquote. Due to the limitations of text, it seems that assumptions are being made. Any assumptions made are your own. Please do not mis-quote me. My posts are also on topic. This thread is about this neat NES project, not Jagassian or me. ???

This proto type pic looks well made, and has potential galore. Something I would consider buying.

With jagsian doing the forum promo thing for bunnyboy, what could concievably go wrong for him? Jag, have you made a Wikipedia entry for it yet?

Edited by omne

This is the real deal, or the closest thing to it. There are disadvantages (no FDS support, no extra sound channels, limited selection of mappers at first, development bugs.) However, you could easily use this cartridge to play well over 750 unique games. Now, enough MMC5 functionality can probably be implemented to allow Castlevania III to work. However, more advanced MMC5 games could likely be beyond its capabilities, but this is not certain. Compatibility with Japanese mappers is likely to be hit and miss. However, Action 52 can never work on this catridge, which isn't a huge blow considering how crappy it is.

The real problem will be with support, as users will demand to know why this ROM or that ROM doesn;t work with the cartridge.

What on earth are you talking about? Where did I say what you claim to be quoting me? That's a complete misquote. Due to the limitations of text, it seems that assumptions are being made. Any assumptions made are your own. Please do not mis-quote me. My posts are also on topic. This thread is about this neat NES project, not Jagassian or me. ???

Your only contributions to this thread, other than "its has potential" are your sarcastic, petty attacks against Jagasian. Anyone knowing your prior history with him and a decent grasp of the English language can read that.

Edited by Great Hierophant

Wow. Some community. I challenge anyone to back up that above accusation with proof of my intent. I am a two fingered typist, so all errors in syntax are mine. All errors in interpretation belong to yourself. I've actually asked some pretty pertinent questions about compatibility, and I've asked them of someone who has in the past has had strong opinions on the subject. This is wrong why?

I'm sorry that Great heirophant thinks so little of my input, but somehow knows my intent.

If Jag is keen to generate buzz for bunnyboy's project, then I think he will. He has a talent for it to be sure. I ust hope (for bunnyboy';s project's sake) that Jagasion continues to have a positive feeling about it, and where it's going.

Things can go south fast, whether or not there is a good reason for it to do so. Look at the negative vibes being sent my way, and I, unlike some of you, would actually put my $140 where my mouth is and support it, as opposed to just talk about it.

Edited by omne

This is the real deal, or the closest thing to it. There are disadvantages (no FDS support, no extra sound channels, limited selection of mappers at first, development bugs.) However, you could easily use this cartridge to play well over 750 unique games. Now, enough MMC5 functionality can probably be implemented to allow Castlevania III to work. However, more advanced MMC5 games could likely be beyond its capabilities, but this is not certain. Compatibility with Japanese mappers is likely to be hit and miss. However, Action 52 can never work on this catridge, which isn't a huge blow considering how crappy it is.

The real problem will be with support, as users will demand to know why this ROM or that ROM doesn;t work with the cartridge.

My hope is that it is easily user upgradable, so that firmware upgrades can be released as game compatibility problems are addressed. However, it is still too early to tell exactly how good game compatibility will be. Many have tried to make a NES flash cart... and failed to bring anything to market. Everybody has been wanting something like this for the NES, for years now... and this attempt looks like it could actually come to market.

The icing on the cake for me is that bunnyboy is actually getting plastic cart shells made and is going to use a clone of the lockout chip. That is a first that I am really excited to see. Destroying classic NES carts in order to salvage plastic shells and lockout chips is not good. We should be preserving this stuff, not destroying it.

Wow. Some community. I challenge anyone to back up that above accusation with proof of my intent. I am a two fingered typist, so all errors in syntax are mine. All errors in interpretation belong to yourself. I've actually asked some pretty pertinent questions about compatibility, and I've asked them of someone who has in the past has had strong opinions on the subject. This is wrong why?

Sorry but I took it as sarcasm as well, probably because I also remember the great Generation NEX wars of '05. I would like to think that we were wrong in assuming that. I also look forward to hearing Jag's opinions on this item, mostly because he and I were in agreement concerning the craptasticness of the NEX (as well as the misleading marketing) although I know that initially I got on his case about it (over at DP, where I no longer live).

Hard to say how much I would pay for this cart. If this one ends up working, we will see clones popping up from other grey market sellers. I'm skeptical until I see this deal in action.

Chris

I think bunnyboy should be permitted to charge a price that allows him to make a few bucks, if not now, hopefully in the future. Hard work has value. It is obvious many many hours have been poured into this.

The community can be schizo about pricing IMO. In the forums things can very quickly turn negative on a project, just from perceptions, real and imagined. For bunnyboy's and his projects sake, this hopefully won't occur.