IGNORED

What games suck more than E.T.?

lol, i tried to warn people. I don't care what anybody says, there is no worse game than Sea Hunt.

Nonsense. It takes a bit of practice and patience, but it's possible to time one's dive to avoid the first fish. Spearing fish also takes practice, but it's doable. IMHO, the worst 2600 cart of all time is probably Slot Machine. If one could affect the reels by timing button pushes (as on Pachislo machines) it might have had some merit, but as it is, totally worthless. One could have more fun admiring the colors and noises produced without a cart.

It wasn't just ET that killed Atari (warners), PacMan on the 2600/VCS almost achieved the same status (as it was so badly programmed)

In the UK, when Atari was releasing speccy/c64 versions of Pacman, some cack UK magazine said that the speccy version of Pacman was the best Arcade to computer/console game at that time (the reviewer must have had a bad reaction to the drugs he was snorting at the time they were writing the speccy review)

2600:

Slot Racers

Heh, this game is a bit of a letdown after looking at the cool cartridge artwork. :D

It's pretty tedious if you play the default level with the slowmotion cars. Some of the other levels are better.

i did like kicking my little sister's ass in that game back in the day......

serves her right for always beating me in Maze Craze

lol, i tried to warn people. I don't care what anybody says, there is no worse game than Sea Hunt.

Nonsense. It takes a bit of practice and patience, but it's possible to time one's dive to avoid the first fish. Spearing fish also takes practice, but it's doable. IMHO, the worst 2600 cart of all time is probably Slot Machine. If one could affect the reels by timing button pushes (as on Pachislo machines) it might have had some merit, but as it is, totally worthless. One could have more fun admiring the colors and noises produced without a cart.

Eh, well, I dug out my cart to make sure I was talking about the same game everybody else was. Yep. I remember playing this as a kid, and the objective is to jump out of the boat (go to one side, wait till the top two fish are on the other side, preferably swiming away, or you'll likely get your ass kicked) Spear all the fish (oh, and this isn't the simpl sprite color vs sprite color hit detection used in most games, a certain part of the spear has to hit the middle area of the fish) Once you get all the fish, swim into the skull looking thingy (? not sure what it is) and from here, your supposed to go get the shit at the bottome. (?? I seem to remember doing this as a kid, but now it seems that I can't get to the items at the bottome? And I get stuck in the @#$% walls all the time) Once you get this, you swim back out, spear all the fish again, they'll start on the edge of the screen, and go up the middle of the boat and collect booty and more O2.

This is the game I remember it being, but as I said, I seem to remember being able to pick up the treasure or something, maybe I forgot something, does this use a second controller or something?

Eh...maybe I'll go look at the doc in 2600 later here, if I remember.

It wasn't just ET that killed Atari (warners), PacMan on the 2600/VCS almost achieved the same status (as it was so badly programmed)

You're preaching to the choir here.

ET and PacMan were both symptoms of the serious problems present in management at the time. Neither was a direct cause of Atari's death, much less the entire industry crash.

JB etc...I didn't get into the Atari games systems, only their computers, I only remember 2600 PacMan from the game i played on some elses big 2600 (i beleive you peeps call it 'heavy sixer')

There are quite a few A8 games i could name....but that's beside the point...i'll name 1 ST game, Gauntlet (original) and 1 C64 game (Outrun)

tell a lie though, i did own an atari lynx (1&2) and a jaggie

That's why I'm asking this, because I see too many people/"journalistic organizations" always hounding on E.T. saying that it's the worst game ever made when in fact if they were to do their homework, there are many more games out there that suck far more than E.T. does.

But Seanbaby said ET killed Atari and caused the crash! No other game has single-handledly destroyed the entire industry! ET HAS to be the worst!

Yeah... it's cool to hate ET, partially because it's recognized.

And that f'ing Seanbaby article means we'll be hearing about Custer's Revenge until the end of time, too.

The market itself caused the U.S. console crash. No single game or company did so. The market was beginning it's downswing before E.T. and Pac-Man were even released. Besides that, the effects were felt across the entire console market (including those that did not offer ET or Pac-Man). "Glut of bad games" is an equally-skeptical excuse...because an even greater percentage of craptacular games are available for modern systems with no console crash in sight ;) IMO it happened just because the U.S. public no longer had the same cut of dollars to feed into an already-oversaturated market, compounded by the attraction of cheaper, more-advanced personal computers...and non-VG diversions such as CD's.

Someone mentionned Sword of Sodan for Genesis, and I second that 100%. Crap in its purest form.

Dragster is also far worst than E.T. as it was just a technical demo that miraculously made it past Activision's marketing department and went on to pointlessly aggravate everyone and their mothers.

And I'd like to add a conundrum to the list: The Swordquest games. When you play Earthworld, Fireworld, or even Waterworld long enough, you begin to understand that the games' designers were trying to push the limits of the Atari 2600 and prove it could do more complex RPG-ish games, but the implementation and general execution is so buggy and poor that those games really deserve a spot on any "crappy games" list. If Atari hadn't organized a contest with big prizes, the games would have stayed on store shelves even more than they actually did. Yet I say they constitute a conundrum because I rather enjoyed those games myself! There's something satisfying about passing tests and gaining access to secret rooms with lots of items to pick up and carry around, even if there's no apparent final goal to the whole endeavour. The Swordquest games had potential from a design perspective, but Atari should have waited until later in the Atari 2600's life span, when 16K carts became available (Note: All the Swordquest games are 8K carts). Who knows how good those games could have been with more ROM space to work with...

And BTW, E.T. itself wasn't that bad. Most people hated it because they couldn't be bothered to read the manual. It's really a weird spin-off of Adventure, when you stop and think about it.

That's why I'm asking this, because I see too many people/"journalistic organizations" always hounding on E.T. saying that it's the worst game ever made when in fact if they were to do their homework, there are many more games out there that suck far more than E.T. does.

But Seanbaby said ET killed Atari and caused the crash! No other game has single-handledly destroyed the entire industry! ET HAS to be the worst!

Yeah... it's cool to hate ET, partially because it's recognized.

And that f'ing Seanbaby article means we'll be hearing about Custer's Revenge until the end of time, too.

The market itself caused the U.S. console crash. No single game or company did so. The market was beginning it's downswing before E.T. and Pac-Man were even released. Besides that, the effects were felt across the entire console market (including those that did not offer ET or Pac-Man). "Glut of bad games" is an equally-skeptical excuse...because an even greater percentage of craptacular games are available for modern systems with no console crash in sight ;) IMO it happened just because the U.S. public no longer had the same cut of dollars to feed into an already-oversaturated market, compounded by the attraction of cheaper, more-advanced personal computers...and non-VG diversions such as CD's.

I disagree about the modern market having a worse good/bad ratio. But other than that...

I guess I have a nostalgic outlook at Infiltrator - I played it often as a kid and I loved it but I admit that my imagination filled in the gaps of where the game had it's faults. This game would have been better with some different mazes and multiplayer.

I'll have to watch the Angry Video Game Nerd review of Ghostbusters. Although I thought his overview of the 5200 was a tad ridiculous.

I guess I have a nostalgic outlook at Infiltrator - I played it often as a kid and I loved it but I admit that my imagination filled in the gaps of where the game had it's faults. This game would have been better with some different mazes and multiplayer.

I loved Infiltrator on the C64. Johnny "Jimbobaby" was ultracool. :cool:

I´m sure we´re not talking about the same game btw.