IGNORED

Good 3D game making software on Mac OS 9?

Segataritensoftii

There's this fangame that I want to make. It's going to be in 3D and based on the "Jumping Flash" series of games by Sony and Exact/Sugar & Rockets. I was wondering if there are any good 3D game making tools for Mac OS 9 that could help me with this. I'm going to get OS X in a few months so I can use the awesomeful Dim3, but I fear I will have lost interest in the project by then. Any OS 9 native suggestions for me to use for the time being?

Hmm... it seems they upped the requirements to OS X since I last saw it. On the bright side, there's a Linux version-- so you can just go download a popular distro.

The Torque Game Engine is $149 for indie devs, $749 for a commercial license.

Hmm... it seems they upped the requirements to OS X since I last saw it. On the bright side, there's a Linux version-- so you can just go download a popular distro.

The Torque Game Engine is $149 for indie devs, $749 for a commercial license.

That brings up another problem. Most commercial programs on linux are X86 only. I have PPC. Or is there source code to buy?

I'm not sure; I think I read somewhere that it was for sale.

Alternatively, you can get Blender3D for Linux PPC. It's primarily a 3D modeler/renderer, but it has features for game creation:

Graphical logic editor for defining interactive behavior without programming

Collision detection and dynamics simulation now support Bullet Physics Library. Bullet is an open source collision detection and rigid body dynamics library developed for Play Station 3

Shape types: Convex polyhedron, box, sphere, cone, cylinder, capsule, compound, and static triangle mesh with auto deactivation mode

Discrete collision detection for RigidBody simulation

Support for in-game activation of dynamic constraints

Full support for vehicle dynamics, including spring reactions, stiffness, damping, tyre friction etc

Python scripting API for sophisticated control and AI, fully defined advanced game logic

Support all OpenGLTM lighting modes, including transparencies, Animated and reflection-mapped textures

Support for multimaterials, multitexture and texture blending modes, per-pixel lighting, dynamic lighting, mapping modes, GLSL vertexPaint texture blending, toon shading, animated materials, support for Normal Maping and Parallax Mapping

Playback of games and interactive 3D content without compiling or preprocessing

Audio, using the SDL toolkit

Multi-layering of Scenes for overlay interfaces

I'm not sure; I think I read somewhere that it was for sale.

Alternatively, you can get Blender3D for Linux PPC. It's primarily a 3D modeler/renderer, but it has features for game creation:

Graphical logic editor for defining interactive behavior without programming

Collision detection and dynamics simulation now support Bullet Physics Library. Bullet is an open source collision detection and rigid body dynamics library developed for Play Station 3

Shape types: Convex polyhedron, box, sphere, cone, cylinder, capsule, compound, and static triangle mesh with auto deactivation mode

Discrete collision detection for RigidBody simulation

Support for in-game activation of dynamic constraints

Full support for vehicle dynamics, including spring reactions, stiffness, damping, tyre friction etc

Python scripting API for sophisticated control and AI, fully defined advanced game logic

Support all OpenGLTM lighting modes, including transparencies, Animated and reflection-mapped textures

Support for multimaterials, multitexture and texture blending modes, per-pixel lighting, dynamic lighting, mapping modes, GLSL vertexPaint texture blending, toon shading, animated materials, support for Normal Maping and Parallax Mapping

Playback of games and interactive 3D content without compiling or preprocessing

Audio, using the SDL toolkit

Multi-layering of Scenes for overlay interfaces

Thanks! Looks like I'll be dusting off my Ubuntu CD next week.