IGNORED

Wizard of Wor Arcade

johnnywc

How about just "WOW", which stands for "Wizard of WOW" (i.e., Wizard of (Wizard of (Wizard of...))).

WOW is for all eternity hardwired as "World of Wonders" in my brain, thanks to the legendary Amiga cracking group :)

(And the kiddies will mix it up with World of Warcraft... :ponder:)

• 4 years later...

Any updates on this one? This would have been a fine port but I guess Champ Games is down for the count?

Hi there,

Unfortunately no updates - haven't done much Atari programming for a while - hard to believe it's been over 4 years since I started WoW Arcade! I hope to get back to it someday - thanks for the interest!

Oh man I love Champ Games. I still play their old DOS classics via DOSbox. Not to mention their great 2600 games like Ladybug and Caverns of Mars

I remember he was working on a hockey game for the 2600, I guess that never saw the light of day but from the bit I saw of it, it would have been amazing.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Oh man I love Champ Games. I still play their old DOS classics via DOSbox. Not to mention their great 2600 games like Ladybug and Caverns of Mars

I remember he was working on a hockey game for the 2600, I guess that never saw the light of day but from the bit I saw of it, it would have been amazing.

Thanks! Glad to hear you are still playing some of the old CHAMP games in DOS - CHAMP Kong! Funny you should mention Hockey (aka RealSports Hockey / Championship Hockey) - I was thinking about it the other day ... maybe I'll start that one back up now that my Bruins won the Stanley Cup! :)

Avalanche for the 2600 by johnnywc is also pretty good (and done in only 1 week IIRC)!

LOL almost forgot about Avalanche - and yes I spent about a week on it. Maybe some day I will polish it up and officially release it in the AA store.

This looks absolutely amazing. I love the arcade version, and the 2600 version was a good port... but it could have been better. I can't wait for this :D

Thanks! I don't think I'll be starting it back up any time soon but if I do I'll be sure to post any updates in this thread!

• 3 years later...

There is this hack that changes some of the graphics and adds the missing mazes. It says "unfinished", but seems to be nearly complete and seems to be fully playable on real hardware. Reading the posts, it seems the AtariVox speech samples are the only thing left to finish.

Edited by BrianC

Dude...You finished this? Any Update? Something? You really impresed hell me out...I want almost the game is playable to go and make a cart with you HB ROM, hopefully you can finish this :) :D

Hi! No, unfortunately there has been no progress on this. I put this on semi-permanent hold after seeing the wonderful work done on the hack (see below).

There is this hack that changes some of the graphics and adds the missing mazes. It says "unfinished", but seems to be nearly complete and seems to be fully playable on real hardware. Reading the posts, it seems the AtariVox speech samples are the only thing left to finish.

I'm looking forward to this being finished, although the main reason why I started my rewrite way back when was to address the horrendous flicker of the original by re-using sprites; unfortunately this hack doesn't seem to address that - probably because it would really take a rewrite :/

Exactly BrianC...the hack is done except for the speech samples. (Although I did break a bit of Nukey's work somehow tinkering with the sounds...oops! I'll have to fix that.)

I'm looking forward to this being finished, although the main reason why I started my rewrite way back when was to address the horrendous flicker of the original by re-using sprites; unfortunately this hack doesn't seem to address that - probably because it would really take a rewrite :/

Nukey would know for sure, but I'd imagine so. It's a classic tradeoff--with hacking you can get to a finished game quickly but with the inherent limitations of the original. Homebrewing opens you up to all kinds of possibilities but then it takes an immense amount of effort to even get a playable game.

No doubt though which one gets you the better looking product. Homebrew Pac-Man ports compared to the various hacks? Homebrew Donkey Kongs compared to the hacks?

• 3 years later...