IGNORED

Bally Astrocade fans.. neat stuff. The Arcadian!

riffraff

Some more treasures unearthed from boxes of stuff unopened for a decade. This time, what appears to be a combination of original and copies of every Arcadian newsletter ever made. Included are some photos of some pages contained within. This stuff is amazing to me!

If it hasn't been done before, I'd like to work on preserving this history. If anyone is an expert and wants to help with this, let me know. I don't have a scanner at the moment but they aren't very expensive to get. Some of the pages have ink transferred from one page to another but all the pages are still legible and in one piece. I'd say about 50% of the newsletters are not copies, and have original stamps on (going back to 15 cent stamp in some cases!).

Also I've got this strange BASIC cartridge that has no port to interface with a tape recorder.

I love old Bally Astrocade stuff. I pulled out my white Bally last night and will see if it works tonight. No dust cover and it's kinda banged up, I wouldn't mind getting a better one if any come for sale. Also I'm looking for any Bally games or hardware that I don't have yet. The viper shown in some of these pages seems pretty sick :twisted:

post-12593-1177735315_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735325_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735335_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735342_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735349_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735357_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735368_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735379_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735391_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735435_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735444_thumb.jpg

post-12593-1177735451_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I was lucky to have scored some bally stuff and I love the system. I too, cherish my White Astrocade and have a bally basic cart without an interface jack. They are much more rare, but probably not worth alot. The coolest thing I have is the actual system with additional board that Sneaky Snake was made on. The astrocade is a wierd console that had some neat stuff on it. I hopefully will be able to post pics of my new room of doom 3.0 in couple of months.

I think the rarest stuff I have are two prototypes (Cosmic Raiders and another released game), and a copy of ICBM Attack although since i don't have the controller I can't play it.

I also have a demo cart, but it's not working at the moment (don't know if it's fixable or not).

Tempest

I too have two protos, one for Galaxian(Galactic Invasion), and the other for Solar Conqueror. I also have a boxed computer programming cassette. I love the system and also was excited to buy the multicart from 8-bit. Good stuff.

Solar Conqueror! That's the other proto I have. I got them from some guy years and years ago who lived near Bally's HQ.

Tempest

Yep I got on the Yahoo group today. Looks like a lot of fun!

jboypacman: Yes definitely get a bally. Some games that show it off: galactic invasion (galaxian), the incredible wizard (wizard of wor) and bally pin for starters. To think this machine came out before the 2600 is amazing. The machine is powerful as the games are very good.

Why is it that I find those company made, propaganda full newsletters from the 70s and 80s charming, but find proaganda full copies of EGM stomach turning?

EDIT: By the way, thanks guys. I went to Bally Alley and then went to youtube and watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXZ7w6SkTc

And now suddenly I NEED the Astrocade. As if I weren't collecting enough already. Thanks a lot. ;)

Edited by Atarifever

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread lovin' on the Astrocade.

Anyone notice how good the sound is on this thing for the time or is it just me? The bass tones just seem nicer and richer than any other system to date, and games like Football actually have melodies in them!

I also got the 8bitdomain multi cart and it was well worth it. Still thinking about the S-Video mod.

S-Video mod, you say...?

Yeah, the Astrocade has some pretty sweet sound. Legend has it that the system was a scaled down version of the arcade hardware that Midway had used in games like Gorf, Wizard of Wor, and Robby Roto, in much the same way that the Dreamcast was a close relative of the Naomi and Atomiswave hardware. You can really tell when you play some of the games, especially The Incredible Wizard, which sounds JUST like the arcade version minus the voices.

JR