IGNORED

carina II BBS game -- Zenobia - how?

I'm a total newbie in this forum. If this question has an answer I'd appreciate an answer.

When I was a teenager I used to play a game called Zenobia on a local south florida BBS. I finally found a copy of it but have no idea how to set it up on my computer to play. is it possilbe?

I have the file Zenobia.arc

i've tried looking up how to open up .arc files but I read something about typing in a dos window and other than that I can't figure it out. Any help would PLEASE be appreciated. If I haven't given enough information needed to have you help, please lemme know what I need to provide. I run windows XP unfortunately (will be on a MAC as soon as I'm out of grad school - i hate windows) lol.

I am looking to be able to set up the game and play at home. thanks everyone!

nurse

More than likely it is a plugin to a BBS program like Forum XE or some of the others. I dont know the BBS stuff much, but ran one on my 1030 for abrief time loooong ago.

I would presume you would need to get the BBS software running, plug Zenobia in as a module and then access the system as the Admin where you could plag the game like you were online.

You would need to run it in a Carina II BBS environment--I doubt you'd be able to get it to run standalone. So the first thing you'll need to do is find a copy of Carina II. I assume Carina II will run in one of the various Atari 8-bit computer emulators, but I have never tried to do that. I'm sure others have, though. You'll therefore need an 8-bit emulator for Windows. Once you get that installed and running, you'll then need to install Carina II, and finally install Zenobia. You can then login to the BBS in "local" mode and play the game that way.

I used to run a Carina II BBS, but not sure I've ever tried Zenobia. A friend and I wrote the game "RoboWar II" for Carina II, and that's something I'd like to personally play with again someday. :)

..Al

• Like 1

You would need to run it in a Carina II BBS environment--I doubt you'd be able to get it to run standalone. So the first thing you'll need to do is find a copy of Carina II. I assume Carina II will run in one of the various Atari 8-bit computer emulators, but I have never tried to do that. I'm sure others have, though. You'll therefore need an 8-bit emulator for Windows. Once you get that installed and running, you'll then need to install Carina II, and finally install Zenobia. You can then login to the BBS in "local" mode and play the game that way.

I used to run a Carina II BBS, but not sure I've ever tried Zenobia. A friend and I wrote the game "RoboWar II" for Carina II, and that's something I'd like to personally play with again someday. :)

..Al

I remember both RoboWars and Zenobia. Back in the late 80s we had a local Carina II BBS called the Darkling Wind. Carina II was unique because it had the Modem Operating Environment (MOE) which made programming online games a blast. I programmed a war game called Platoon and many others. Some other notable games are BattleMech, StarFleet, and Russian Rivalry.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for all the input, now the only problem is that I can't find a Carina II BBS. I've googled and searched and still cannot find it. any tips?

Are you looking for a copy of the BBS program or a running Carina system?

thanks for all the input, now the only problem is that I can't find a Carina II BBS. I've googled and searched and still cannot find it. any tips?

Are you looking for a copy of the BBS program or a running Carina system?

from what I understand I need a copy of the program to install on my computer. then I can load up the Zenobia game to the BBS and then play it.

the only other thing I wish (for ease) would be able to find a person running Zenobia on their system.

from what I understand I need a copy of the program to install on my computer. then I can load up the Zenobia game to the BBS and then play it.

the only other thing I wish (for ease) would be able to find a person running Zenobia on their system.

Well these were on the Holmes CD's... 2 ATR's in this ZIP file... hope this helps.

carina.zip