IGNORED

Should we do a video game "Shodown" this summer?

Rhindle The Red

Should we do a video game "Shodown" this summer?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do a video game "Shodown" this summer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes, which should we do?

• Classic Gaming Shodown
    • Vintage Character Shodown
    • Classic System Shodown
    • Atari 2600 Shodown

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Last year, we had the "Atari Shodown", in which titles from the classic Atari systems battled it out for domination.

Should we do another one this year? If not, why not? If so, what should we do? Here are the possibilities:

• "Classic Gaming Shodown": like last year, but including titles from the INTV, Colecovision, NES, etc.

• "Vintage Character Shodown": characters from the classic era, including Pitfall Harry, Pac-Man, Adventure's Hero, etc. Can be done either as one big tourney or with "hero" and "villain" categories. Character creation cutoff would be the crash of '83.

• "Classic System Shodown": pit the various classic consoles against each other. (I think we know who'd win, still...)

• "Atari 2600 Shodown": Pitting just Atari 2600 titles against each other. Four divisions: Atari, Activision, The Big Boys (Mattel, Coleco, etc.) and the Also Rans (everyone else).

Now, I don't want you to think that I'm going to go by the straight vote, here. Arguments for or against are more important. If "No" wins the poll narrowly, but no one makes a good argument against the Showdown, I'll probably go ahead. Likewise, if one Shodown narrowly leads, but the arguments for another are stronger, I'll go that way.

So, whaddya think, sirs?

Gamefaqs has character battles every few months it seems. Would this follow the same type of deal or would it be atari chars only?

The same type of deal, only with a cutoff, as I said, of '83. So this one would be wide open, since neither Link or Cloud would qualify. ;)

Also, we'd have a nominating process, unlike GameFaqs. I'm never sure where the characters or their seeding comes from. (I seed randomly.)

:jango: Vintage characters for me. We could argue until we were cyan in the face over which games had the best plot, premise, story, etc., but when it comes down to it, which character kicked the most pixels? Roderick Hero? Pitfall 'just who is this 'Indiana' guy, anyway' Harry? Mario? That poor, skinny guy who keeps running into electric walls?

I can see it now. Can't you hear the 'good, bad, & ugly' theme, already?

the 2600 would dominate a classic console contest, and i think the Adventure Square would win the character contest, especially after his awesome comeback on the 5200, but my vote would definitely be to do the most loved/hated villain contest.

As for which characters would qualify, as long as they are a distinct character (meaning Evil Otto from Berzerk would count, but the "robots" would not) and they first appeared before 1984, they're in. I'd probably limit the number of characters per game, though, to the top two or three, just to increase the number of games represented.

We would have a nomination process like we did last year (although I may refine the process itself).

another stupid question? Would a Dreadnaught be considered a character? :P

Um, no.

Awww... let him have that one.

I continue to vote for Bubsy. Someday he'll win. Oh yes, he'll win... :P

How about any character that's appearred on an Atari console, computer or arcade machine?

I think that would take it too far outside the realm of the "vintage".

So far, it seems clear most people want another Shodown and the comments make me lean towards the character one. I'll decide some time next week.

Why not a series? First, a 2600 shodown, then a 5200 shodown, then a 7800 shodown, and finally an 8-bit computer shodown. Oh yeah, you could even have a Lynx and Jaguar shodown, though I don't own those modern systems.

Edited by accousticguitar