IGNORED

DVD Upscaling Coming Tomorrow!

Tempest

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=417

Looks like the PS3 is *finally* getting DVD upscaling! I can't wait to see how my games and movies look now. Does anyone have any experience with DVD players or game systems (does the 360 upscale?) that upscale content? How does it look?

Tempest

According to Joystiq, the download is only for Europe. I hope we get it soon.

Edited by heavy-sixer

Looks like the PS3 is *finally* getting DVD upscaling! I can't wait to see how my games and movies look now. Does anyone have any experience with DVD players or game systems (does the 360 upscale?) that upscale content? How does it look?

Tempest

Hmm... I wonder why it's Europe only right now? Something with PAL vs NTSC?

Tempest

Tempest

Hmm... I wonder why it's Europe only right now? Something with PAL vs NTSC?

Tempest

Seems odd to me too. I don't really get it. Is it the same hardware? Wasn't there something about the PS2/1 emulation being software driven in the European models versus hardware driven in the initial US hardware. You'd think that would make upscaling via software on the US models easier. But then again, that's why I teach English rather than work on computers.

Does anyone have any experience with DVD players or game systems (does the 360 upscale?) that upscale content? How does it look?

I have the Oppo DL-981HD, which is one of the best upscaling players on the market. You're not going to get the clarity of a true HD format, of course, but it does get rid of interlacing and pixelation, and succeeds in making DVD's look like film stock on my 1080p HDTV (not the highest quality film stock perhaps, but it's still a nice effect).

Actually, if you've ever watched DVD's on your computer at any resolution higher than 640x480, you already have an idea of what descent upscaling looks like.

Edited by skunkworx

Tempest

I've never watched a dvd on my 360 but I do have an upscaling Sony DVD player connected to my HDTV via HDMI and I have my PS3 connected via HDMI. Upscaled DVDs look great next to non-upscaled DVDs. I compared watching a DVD on the player versus watching it on my PS3. Now it all depends on the DVD. Some look great and others look ok. Usually new releases look much better than older DVDs. Now Blu-Rays look wonderful in HD, but then again some look better than others. It all depends. Obviously movies shot in HD are meant for Blu-Ray. For instance, I watched Rambo on Blu-Ray and it wasn't much better than an up-scaled DVD. Monster House looked really good on Blu-Ray and Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good too. By and large to put it all on a scale of 1 to 10. Blue-Rays are from a 7 to 10. Upscaled DVDs are from a 6 to 7 and non-upscaled DVDs are 5 and below. I know I'm rambling but I joined Blockbuster Online so I can rent Blu-Ray discs. When faced with the choice of re-buying movies at $20 to $35 a pop to get them on Blu-Ray, there really is no choice about it. Upscaled DVDs are great to watch. My eyes aren't that good anyway. Now when Blu-Ray discs come down to current DVD prices. I'll start picking a few up, but until then Blockbuster Online is the way to go.

(does the 360 upscale?) that upscale content? How does it look?

Tempest

Yes with VGA cables or HDMI (On the Elite), It's about what you'd expect, a bit better than the regular DVD, not as good as HD-DVD.

It's a good thing to have.

My guess would be that anamorphic titles look better upscaled. But ultimately it comes down to the transfer process (conversion from film to DVD format) and how good of a job was done. Each studio handles the transfer process differently.

Edited by Shannon

Version 1.80 also allows PS3 users on a home network to stream media content (photos, videos, and music) stored on a DLNA-enabled device onto their PS3 system. DLNA is a system that enables digital devices such as personal computers, DVRs, and TVs to be connected to a network and share data with other connected devices, in this case a PS3 system. This new functionality reinforces the value of PS3 system as a home entertainment hub.

What the heck is a DLNA-enabled device? Is there software available somewhere that I can load up on my PC?

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card Users can now copy saved data from PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation2), using their PS3 system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

It's about friggin time.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing The photo capabilities of PS3 system have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3s hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

Oughta be fun to tinker with.

Note too video pirates. :lol: Upscaling of DVD's only works thru the HDMI connector. :P

Although PS1 and 2 games will upscale on a component cable.

Ok Sony, now where are our PS1 on PSP downloads without needing a friggin PS3??

Edited by Shannon

I downloaded the update tonight and all I can say is wow! I plugged in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith just to see how good it looked in 1080i and it was amazing. I was surprised how at how clear everything looks now. I haven't had a chance to play any games under the new patch, but I suspect I'll be equally impressed.

Tempest

I downloaded the update tonight and all I can say is wow! I plugged in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith just to see how good it looked in 1080i and it was amazing. I was surprised how at how clear everything looks now. I haven't had a chance to play any games under the new patch, but I suspect I'll be equally impressed.

Tempest

Wow! So it's available for the US now. I'll have to download it tonight and see what it does to PS1 games.

Wow. When my PS3 rebooted after this update. A little window popped up on my PC that said..

Windows media player found. Found a device that can play content from your Windows Media Player Library. When I click on shared settings it also lists my Xbox 360. Hmmmm

Does microsoft know? :lol:

Wow. When my PS3 rebooted after this update. A little window popped up on my PC that said..

Windows media player found. Found a device that can play content from your Windows Media Player Library. When I click on shared settings it also lists my Xbox 360. Hmmmm

Does microsoft know? :lol:

Yeah there were Search For Compatible Devices (or something like that) icons under the Music, Movies, and Photos sections that I didn't play with last night.

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...
Note too video pirates. :lol: Upscaling of DVD's only works thru the HDMI connector. :P

I guess that means those of us few million people who bought their HDTV before HDMI was availabl are just shit out of luck?

No it means that since HDMI is supposedly a protected signal people wont be able to copy 1080p on it.

Those using component I think can only go as high as 720p, but I'd have to check that.

I have not got around to it but I need to hook up a component and see what res DVD and Blu-Ray output at. And then try it on HDMI and see what it does. The only thing I have done is play a DVD thru HDMI since I finally got around to buying the cable.

I have not got around to it but I need to hook up a component and see what res DVD and Blu-Ray output at. And then try it on HDMI and see what it does. The only thing I have done is play a DVD thru HDMI since I finally got around to buying the cable.

The FCC regulates that you cannot upscale DVD's over component. It is completely possible up to 1080p and there are DVD players that do it despite the regulation but Microsoft does not go against the regulation and I don't imagine that Sony is either. That is why the resolution on the 360 will change to 480p when you insert a DVD if using component cables. VGA, DVI, and HDMI are all connections that DVD's are allowed to be upscaled with. With the 360 I use a VGA cable and it upscales my DVD's (brilliantly I might add) and I would suspect that the PS3 would upscale when using any of those three cables.

As for hd movies, the highest that is allowed without HDMI is 1080i. The movie industry wanted to make sure that people were using the hdmi cables to ensure that you had to use the digital encryption to view the highest quality output (1080p.) Again my experience is with the 360 and not the PS3 but the 360 will switch to 1080i when you insert a HD-DVD and using any cable other then HDMI, when the console is set to 1080p, due to the regulation. I would imagine that the PS3 would follow the regulation as well (particularly since Sony is the one pushing Blu-Ray and it is their console.)

Edited by Hyper_Eye

• 2 months later...