IGNORED

Have you ever read a novel based on a video game?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever read a novel based on a video game?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever read a novel based on a video game?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If yes, was it / were they any good?

• Yes, it was (or they all were) good.
    • Some were, some weren't.
    • No, it was (or they all were) bad.
    • I've never read one.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So, have you ever read a novel based on a video game? I admit that I have read at least one of those "Doom" books. There are others based on Tomb Raider, Halo, Resident Evil... Heck, a whole slew of 'em are out there. Have you ever partaken? Which one(s)? What did you think?

The Halo novels are of two types:

1-- The transparent rip-off of "Ender's Game", just written much, much, much less well. That sucks hard.

2-- Written versions of the game. Honestly, when I read a section detailing Master Chief finding a bridge's control panel to turn it on, I decided perhaps buying the boxed set had been a poor investment.

I have a few of those old "Worlds of Power" books, the Ninja Gaiden one is the best. :) Other than that, i don't think so...which is an answer that surprises me. I really thought i'd read several video game-based books until i thought about it just now.

The Ninja Gaiden Novel, real old school, i was like in 5th grade when i read it and I still have it, it was excellent.

i never read that one, but i used to own and love Megaman 2 from the same series, Worlds Of Power. it was like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, which made it even better!

I have read the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". The book came before the game. (Which I am pretty sure everyone already knew.)

And the radio show came before the book. ;)

Yup... forgot all about that. :)

I voted no. The closest I have come is reading the novelization of Tron. And I have read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but that doesn't count.

Other novels that I have read that were made into games.

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I never have played these games though.

I've read several Star Trek novels, some of which had about as much plot as an early '80s video game, but I guess that's not the same thing.

Do comic books or graphic novels count?

Edited by skunkworx

I read Pool of Radiance (I also think there was a "Curse of the Azure Bonds" and a few of the other gold boxes written into story form), Betrayal at Krondor, Return to Krondor, Tear of the Gods and Baldur's Gate. The Feist novels were pretty good (no surprise there) but the Pool of Radiance and Baldur's Gate paperbacks were pretty weak.

Starship Titanic.

Never played the game, but the book, written by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame, was pretty awful.

Yes, that was a very strange novel. It was clearly an Adams story, but filtered through Terry Jones, it never comes together.

For those who don't know the story of that one:

Jones was doing some voices for the video game and he was amazed at the technology behind it all and wanted to do anything he could for the project.

"Got anything else that I could do?" he asked Adams.

"Want to write a novel?" was the reply.

You see, the publishers of Starship Titanic were keen to have a novel to tie into the game (seeing as Adams was a novelist and all), but Adams (as always) had no time to write one. Getting Jones to do it seemed the perfect solution. So you end up with the very strange title of:

DOUGLAS ADAMS's

STARSHIP

TITANIC

A NOVEL BY

TERRY JONES

I read a novelisation of Mortal Kombat many years ago. I don't remember it being particularly outstanding, but then again I was in fourth grade at the time, so I probably didn't understand a lot of it. I think Jeff Rovin wrote it?

I actually played Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Infocom) before reading the book. If it were not for the game, I would have missed out.

And then there were the Choose your own adventure type books for the Zork (also Infocom) series.

Good stuff.