IGNORED

Surprise! A game I *don't* need help on!

atari2600land

This is like AStar, only there's one fruit (in this case, a candy corn) and a pumpkin trying to get it. You have a certain number of moves to get it and if you exceed the number in a level, the pfcolor goes black, in which case you should press Reset to start again (If you finish the maze while the pfcolor is black, you'll just have to do the maze over again.) How are the mazes? Too easy? Too hard? Feedback/suggestions wanted.

bstar060207.bas.bin

bstar060207.bas

Im digging it! However, you have a bug on level three...if you are holding down the left and level three restarts after a failed try(when you grab the item after black) hte pumpkin moves all the way to the left through the maze...as if the playfield collisions are not working right.

I like the game. I was able to get through the first maze after about five tries, the second maze after two tries, and after the first try on the third maze I blew my first try and the game had an issue pop up. By issue I mean the little smiley face went into the position to start the maze ofter, moved all the way to the left edge of the screen then continuously moved down the side of the screen over and over.

I think I would make the first maze just a tad easier so slow folk like me can be eased into the game :) Good job so far.

Another day, another update. Added a whole bunch of stuff, like passwords! Mainly for myself so I don't have to switch the line that says

"level=1" if I want to test another level other than 1 back and forth. I also added a few new screens. Here's the password list so far. To enter a password, on the title screen, press left to change the first digit, down to change the second digit, and right to change the third digit.

level 1 = Intro - 000

level 2 = Trick-E - 667

level 3 = ZigZag - 503

level 4 = Brain Buster - 947

level 5 = No Mistaking - 187

level 6 = So Close - 420

level 7 = Not One More - 364

level 8 = Not Pretty - 902

This will most likely end up as an 8k cart.

bstar060507.bas.bin

bstar060507.bas

Added a first easy intro screen. I also redesigned the candy corn. It's a Halloween program and hope to have it as a holiday cart. And if anyone has any suggestions for a title of this game other than 'BStar', I am open to suggestions.

Call it

'A Stay at Scary Suites'

...as in sweets, ie the mazes are rooms in a haunted hotel. the pumpkin it really some

lost scared kid, and very hungry. So much hungry that he is willing to enter what is know

all over the neighborhood as an abandodned haunted hotel.

The only trouble is the kid is lost and not from the 'hood'. He dont care he sees candy

and is hungry. You know you acnt do much to stop a kid from getting his hands on

some candy.

As the levels get higher change the candy corn to other holloween treats as the levels

progress. Like a roll of Smarties or an apple. You can come up with a tone of different

holloween candies. Shoot even pennies and nickles.

Add obstacles that can kill you if you go the wrong way to add some more challenege

later on in higher levels. You could have a bottomless pit or a witches cauldron bubbling or

something like that. Perpahs even a apple with a razor blade sticking in it!

How about bats that come out and force you to move if you stay in one spot too long.

A mean old ghost even. I dunno mabye incorporate stairs to another part of the maze

before you get to the prize.....yeah.....I can see swinging blades you have to time

yourself to get past too.

Then even higher up, make it a multiple room puzzle. You enter in one spot and

need to find the trap door to another room and there is where the yummy confection

is. You could make a really big many level room for the finally.

I say if the kid makes it through the last room. A door opens up and you have the palyfield

change to the ourside view with a nice fall day, then bacjk in to the room view and as the kid

walks out to what he thinks is his freedom turns out to be a guillotine chopping his head off!!!!

I know, Im a sick bastard. :D

Hey, it Holloween we are talking about here after all aint it? ;)

I want mention....;)....kidding.....:D

I have not had time to try the latest one out, hope to this evening.. But I won't let a little thing liek not having tried the latest version stop me from throwing out suggestions!

The Halloween theme: What about making the pumpkin a vampire and the candy a coffin. Then the goal is to get to the coffin before daylight.. you could even slowly lighten the background as time is running out.

On the number of moved.. instead of running forwards i think it should run backwards, then if you run through the mazes again you can increase the difficulty by starting at a lower number (as long as it is still doable with that many moves of course). This way you know exactly how many moves until daylight (or whatever the endpoint is defined as).

anyways I look forward to trying out the new version tonight.....

On the number of moved.. instead of running forwards i think it should run backwards, then if you run through the mazes again you can increase the difficulty by starting at a lower number (as long as it is still doable with that many moves of course). This way you know exactly how many moves until daylight (or whatever the endpoint is defined as).

anyways I look forward to trying out the new version tonight.....

I've been working on this game earlier today and I changed it so the move counter runs backwards. The "Halloween Havoc" title screen is from the version I've been working on today. I've also expanded the game to 8k so I can have room for more mazes. Since all I've done is changed the title screen and added a little starting tune so far today (I probably won't work on it any more today), I won't post a bin, but here's a .bas file for those interested.

I like the vampire/coffin idea, but how would I make a vampire only 7 pixels high? Anyone have some pixel art for that idea?

hh060607.bas

New level, as well as the debut of the game under its new title with new title screen (that is, if you don't have Batari Basic and couldn't compile the .bas file I posted yesterday. The password for this new level is 830. And please, if you find any "shortcuts" for any of my levels, please tell me, as I want to make this game really hard.

hh060607a.bas.bin

hh060607a.bas

Nice title screen, you made same gosub style :)

I made new sprites : Vampire and his coffin, pumpkin and it's candle and witch and her caldron.

What you think?

Edit : I fond a shortcut on level pink (420)

When D= down, L= left, U = up, R = right

The sequel: D,L,D,L,U,L,D,L,D,R,U,R,U,R,D

post-10940-1181137769_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

Break time's over. Blocked the shortcut LS_Dracon found, changed the pumpkin design to make it more scary-looking, and added a new level, password #912. Originally it was to be level 10, but instead it's level 4, bumping all levels past 4 up 1 level.

hh060907.bas

hh060907.bas.bin

I'm thinking about making this game 4k (basically because it would be cheaper to buy). I think I can get about 12 or 13 screens in if I limit myself to 4k. Right now I have ten and I changed things a little. Instead of passwords, you now can select the screen using the game select switch (like in AStar.) Right now, I think everything works the same and I have 467 bytes left if I use 4k. I blocked the other shortcut LS_Dracon found. So even if I take a one-month vacation from this game, I'll still have plenty of time to finish this game by October 1, which is my hope-to-release date.

hh061007fourk.bas.bin

hh061007fourk.bas

I finally found some time to play this and i really like the game!

It already plays well and the halloween-theme is very nice. I'll have to play a few rounds more later, i only made it to level 5 so far.... :)

I'm thinking about making this game 4k (basically because it would be cheaper to buy).

I personally would prefer to pay 5 bucks more for the game and have 25 or more levels instead of "only" 12 or 13.

Just my opinion about this...

I'm thinking about making this game 4k (basically because it would be cheaper to buy).
I personally would prefer to pay 5 bucks more for the game and have 25 or more levels instead of "only" 12 or 13.

I'd like to hear some more opinions about this. Should I go 8k and have more levels if the price is a little more?

I'd like to hear some more opinions about this. Should I go 8k and have more levels if the price is a little more?

Easily!....4k more can give you a bunch more levels. I hardly think any 2600 fan would object to the extra

cost for more game play.

Added a 14th level. I think I'm about half-way done with this. Designing levels for this game sure is hard work. You think you have a level done, and then you discover a shortcut that takes up less than half the moves you planned on, and then you have to start over from scratch. That being said, I still want you to report any shortcuts you encounter (I won't be mad, I promise. :))

hh061607.bin

hh061607.bas