IGNORED

Totally underestimated

emkay

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=476

In the first part it shows 256 colours 3D with a "shine through-sphere" and in the 2nd part it shows a rotating cube with 16 colours and plays a 4 channel MOD in the background.

This is even more impressive than Numen to me.

Well, in fact I think it's not a 4ch module, but just several 1-channel sample loops played in a predefined order. Still an interesting production though

Well, in fact I think it's not a 4ch module, but just several 1-channel sample loops played in a predefined order. Still an interesting production though

Actually, the demo plays digitized music in a quality that several other players do not reach even when switching of the screen. Additionally it shows huge and colourfull moving objects.

The key to good digitized sound replay is to only go for one or two per scanline - and to be consistent with the intervals, ie- compensate for DMA fluctuations.

Conveniently, the PAL and NTSC line rates are very close to 16 KHz which makes creating samples and importing from PC applications easy.

Agreed, there is a definite lack of good moving APAC stuff out there.

The biggest bummer though is that GTIA modes don't allow fine h-scrolling.

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=476

In the first part it shows 256 colours 3D with a "shine through-sphere" and in the 2nd part it shows a rotating cube with 16 colours and plays a 4 channel MOD in the background.

This is even more impressive than Numen to me.

There is still a big difference in some digitized music and a few low-res polygons with special effects, and an entire 3D world being manipulated, as in NUMEN, which though the demo is on a set course, the engine is full 360 degree 3D engine with height like DOOM. Numen demo also had some, IMHO, equally impressive, small interlude demos as 'Impossible but real.'

Though your title statement 'Totally Underestimated' rings completely true.

Of course I'm running these demos on an NTSC 1200XL with PAL OS and a PAL ANTIC. Mostly they(generally speaking) run fine, occasionally there are graphic glitches. IIRC, both these demos (NUMEN&Impossible) run glitch free. Another thing to keep in mind is that when these demos used APAC or similiar modes on NTSC machines the color is not nearly as vivid and often looks very washed out on certain, unmodified model 8-bits. I highly recommend the Super Video or Clearpic mods installed for the best color with these demos (with a TV/monitor with adjustable tint for best possible color). These demos also use the dual Pokey stereo upgrade too, IIRC, and many European demos do, so I recommend that upgrade as well.

I've tried many of these demos, that use 3D and are dependant on speed for frame-rate, on NTSC 60Hz, and the ones that still ran, really gained in speed(FPS) noticably, it would be nice to see them "fixed" for NTSC. And also for some NTSC programmers to use these techniques in new demos. These graphics are so low res, that you don't lose any picture on the lower res NTSC screen. Especially since most of these demos are running in smaller windows or letterboxed.

Edited by Gunstar